2019-2020 NFL Thread

Old Man

On 9/18/2019 at 1:23 PM, Cancer said:

This being the NFL's 100th, promo stuff is happening, including letting (at least in Seattle) fans vote on "Greatest moment in franchise history".  IMO these always end up heavily overweighting things from the most recent decade.

For Seattle, the four choices (here's the voting page) are the 2010 Beastquake run, the Richard Sherman tip/Malcolm Smith pick in the 2013 NFC title game, the Wilson/Kearse overtime TD in the 2014 NFC title game, and then a 1988 play where Steve Largent annihilates a Broncos DB who'd made a pick (and with whom Largent had ... a little history) and then recovers the fumble himself.

If they do this for the Patriots, I'd vote for the 1982 Snowplow Game where at the end of the game on their home field, the Patriots' coach had a snowplow go out onto the field to clear out a spot so their kicker could easily do a field goal.

Then they got away with it because at the time there wasn't a specific NFL rule in existence preventing a team from having a snowplow go out onto the field in the middle of the game to clear out a spot for the kicker. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, archer said:

If they do this for the Patriots, I'd vote for the 1982 Snowplow Game where at the end of the game on their home field, the Patriots' coach had a snowplow go out onto the field to clear out a spot so their kicker could easily do a field goal.

Then they got away with it because at the time there wasn't a specific NFL rule in existence preventing a team from having a snowplow go out onto the field in the middle of the game to clear out a spot for the kicker. :rolleyes:

The really funny bit was the guy running the snowplow was a furloughed prisoner.  His crime?  Burglary. :D

A warning about tomorrow night's Rams-Squawks game:

Seattle has announced they will be wearing their "Action Green" uniforms.  The ones that look like they were dyed in the yellow-green highlighter.

(EDIT: I originally typed "died" in the above.  Freudian.)

If you (1) intend to watch the game, and (2) still have access to an ancient black-and-white TV, you might consider setting up the color-blind old box. 

I would not call that a convincing win, but on the grace of a missed 44-yard FG by a former Black Hole*, Seattle gets the W over the Rams.

----

* Reference to my team in last year's fantasy football activity on these boards.  Not only does all I touch turn to s--t, it stays that way!

20 minutes ago, Cancer said:

I would not call that a convincing win, but on the grace of a missed 44-yard FG by a former Black Hole*, Seattle gets the W over the Rams.

----

* Reference to my team in last year's fantasy football activity on these boards.  Not only does all I touch turn to s--t, it stays that way!

And suddenly the NFC West got a lot more interesting.

Wilson’s lifetime of righteous living was rewarded as the ball somehow found its way to the back left corner of the endzone. To all of us idiots it looked like he was throwing it away, but as the ball headed out of bounds, it was speared by a tiny angel clad resplendently in atomic vomit. Tyler Lockett stretched his child-like frame up to full adult size as he dragged his toes along the turf. He snagged the spiral with his feet in bounds by two fake blades of grass for the most impressive play of the year. I mean, that throw was impossible.

Yeah, from a fanzone, but I'm not sure even I could have come up with "a tiny angel clad resplendently in atomic vomit."

EDIT: During my class, it occurred to me that "antimatter phlegm" might have been better, considering the not-of-this-universe color of those uniforms.