Community Content Program: Hall of Champions

Jason S.Walters

I would like to see more input in the Champions 2050 thread. Tell me on there what you would do with "character x" in this future time.

Also, do you really want it to be a 'last chance at superheroes" setting, or do you want some options to stabilize or reverse the mana drain?

8 hours ago, Tywyll said:

I suppose you could tack on a location and do some 'setting' detail and attach the adventure to it? Like you, I was super hoping to see adventures and I can't imagine a reason why they'd be forbidden. It must be a typo.

And what's the point of using an existing setting if you can't use existing characters? I took those restrictions to mean you couldn't publish their stats (which I understand). But maybe I misread them?

Well, they are not expressly forbidden.  But they are not mentioned anywhere as permissible.  Two versions off of settings are detailed.  Characters, equipment and HD packs.  No adventures.

I was hoping it would be like WotC's DM Guild.  You can include abbreviated stat blocks of existing material and creatures.  You cannot simply copy/paste entire paragraphs.  This way the adventures are actually playable off of the shelf.  I have bought several D&D Community Content adventures and never needed to look all the threats up.

I was designing a abbreviated "stat block" for Super Villains that only shows the parts actually needed during play on the table.  If the full write-up is needed you'll need the book.  But for this scenario, everything you need is here.

My adventure is a mini-campaign called Crime Spree and is designed to teach new players how to PLAY using a small team of pre-gen heroes versus one of the non-killer CU villain teams.  I set it in HC but plan on adding notes to allow it to be set in VB or MC.  Because of the theme, each encounter can set in any city as long as they have a seaport/airport, a business district and a manufacturing/factory district. 

It is aimed at not just letting the players get a chance in investigation, a superfight and to see how the rules widgets translate into abilities/powers on the table.

It also introduces the CU and some of the villains. 

At least that is what I wanted to do. 

1 minute ago, Spence said:

Well, they are not expressly forbidden.  But they are not mentioned anywhere as permissible.  Two versions of settings are detailed.  Characters, equipment and HD packs.  No adventures.

I was hoping it would be like WotC's DM Guild.  You can include abbreviated stat blocks of existing material and creatures.  You cannot simply copy/paste entire paragraphs.  This way the adventures are actually playable of the shelf.  I have bought several D&D Community Content adventures and never needed to look all the threats up.

I was designing a abbreviated "stat block" for Super Villains that only shows the parts actually needed during play on the table.  If the full write-up is needed you'll need the book.  But for this scenario, everything you need is here.

My adventure is a mini-campaign called Crime Spree and is designed to teach new players how to PLAY using a small team of pre-gen heroes versus one of the non-killer CU villain teams.  I set it in HC but plan on adding notes to allow it to be set in VB or MC.  Because of the theme, each encounter can set in any city as long as they have a seaport/airport, a business district and a manufacturing/factory district. 

It is aimed at not just letting the players get a chance in investigation, a superfight and to see how the rules widgets translate into abilities/powers on the table.

It also introduces the CU and some of the villains. 

At least that is what I wanted to do. 

I would reach out to Jason Walters directly via the site for clarification... I'm betting that writing an adventure would be totally fine.

With regards to stat blocks, would you be opposed to using the established convention of writing them as "Character Briefs" as defined in the Writer's Guidelines (p. 32)?  https://www.herogames.com/files/file/472-writers-guidelines-5th-edition/ .  The doc is a little out of date but it goes a long way in terms of providing a map to follow in order to have a product with a consistent look and feel as the rest of the HERO-verse books.  You would have to explain your shorthand syntax to people, this may mitigate that potential barrier for entry.  

I believe there is a specific exception in the HoC FAQ Page that allows you to reproduce stat blocks in their entirety proving you get permission to do it.  Asking if you can abbreviate them doesn't sound like a crazy ask to me personally, I'm not the publisher though so YMMV.

2 minutes ago, sentry0 said:

I believe there is a specific exception in the HoC FAQ Page that allows you to reproduce stat blocks in their entirety proving you get permission to do it. 

I'll need to reread the writers guidelines and apparently I need to re-read the HoC FAQ as well.  I'll try today when I get home.

Looking through the agreement, I have to concur. I don't see anything that says "no adventures." I could also justify saying an "adventure" is really additional setting information, which is explicitly allowed (since it expands on an already existing setting by adding new characters and events.) Or, if it isn't tied to a pre-existing setting is publishing your new setting info.

51 minutes ago, Spence said:

I'll need to reread the writers guidelines and apparently I need to re-read the HoC FAQ as well.  I'll try today when I get home.

I just double checked to make sure I wasn't going crazy and there's a minor inconsistency with what's on the DTRPG site and the FAQ in the Dropbox folder.  The Dropbox folder has a section about "Previously Published Stat Blocks" and the DTRPG does not.

Not sure which one is correct.  It's not expressly forbidden in either case though.

3 hours ago, theinfn8 said:

Looking through the agreement, I have to concur. I don't see anything that says "no adventures." I could also justify saying an "adventure" is really additional setting information, which is explicitly allowed (since it expands on an already existing setting by adding new characters and events.) Or, if it isn't tied to a pre-existing setting is publishing your new setting info.

3 hours ago, sentry0 said:

I just double checked to make sure I wasn't going crazy and there's a minor inconsistency with what's on the DTRPG site and the FAQ in the Dropbox folder.  The Dropbox folder has a section about "Previously Published Stat Blocks" and the DTRPG does not.

Not sure which one is correct.  It's not expressly forbidden in either case though.

35 minutes ago, Khas said:

But in the first two lines it says :"Looking for content or inspiration for your Hero System campaign? Or maybe you want to publish adventures, villains, powers, equipment, or settings you’ve created for your own Hero System games?" 

Isn't it enough to allow adventures publishing? 

Thanks for the input. 

I am going to reread everything and any new information that may come out, hopefully format templates and guides plus the stock art I think was mentioned somewhere.  Though I may be confused.

I will press on and make Crime Spree as I envisioned it and then run it by the powers that be.  At best it will be acceptable and can be placed on HoC.  At worst I will finally get Crime Spree written out in a coherent form instead of the pile of notes it is now. 

To be honest I have been beating the drum for this to happen (HoC) and feel it is incumbent on me to make a contribution with substance.  Plus, critiques good or bad on my offering will be very valuable to me.  I have always toyed with the idea of writing for RPGs, but wanted to be able to test the waters before committing to a full on product. 

I have a superhero adventure that I wrote for Savage Worlds which I really think my fellow Champions fans might enjoy.  I've got maps, illustrations, fake comic book ads, a page of platypus fun facts (really!) and of course all the text.  The IP is all either mine or verifiably public domain (two public domain supervillains--most people wouldn't recognize their names).

All I would have to do is convert the stats to 6th Edition Champions and it would be ready to release.  My question is, does the license allow us to do that?  Is it like the license for the  Dungeon Master's Guild (which wouldn't) or the license for Genysis (which would).

I'd love to show the whole community what I've got--people keep telling me that the book looks amazing in its Savage Worlds incarnation.

My question is, can I?

That's actually not a problem at all--lots of their licensees (including me) do alternate versions of our products. I've done variations for Mutants and Masterminds, for ICONS.

But does the Hall of Champions permit this?

I saw a commenter ask this same question, earlier in this thread and I never saw the answer.

On 11/25/2019 at 8:32 PM, Jim Thomson said:

That's actually not a problem at all--lots of their licensees (including me) do alternate versions of our products. I've done variations for Mutants and Masterminds, for ICONS.

But does the Hall of Champions permit this?

I saw a commenter ask this same question, earlier in this thread and I never saw the answer.

I believe whatever you publish for Hall of Heroes needs to be exclusive to them. Nobody else can have that content but them.

As for "multitasking" by adding stats for other systems, I personally believe it is not allowed. This is for Hero System and Hero System alone.

But I already seen one violation of there contract broken already. Tiger's Forgotten Enimies 5 violates the "no upgrade/downgrade" rule.

27 minutes ago, urbwar said:

Where do you download the compatibility logo? 

You can get the logo from DTRPG I believe.  You should message Jason S. Walters if you're interested in doing something... he can give you access to the material.

56 minutes ago, sentry0 said:

You can get the logo from DTRPG I believe.  You should message Jason S. Walters if you're interested in doing something... he can give you access to the material.

You would think, but it isn't available in the community content product listing, nor the Hero Games listings. If it's supposed to be a community, you'd think making the logo easily accessible would be kind of a priority. 

There are a few settings you need to make in your DTRPG account that give you access to the community content program, and those might be prerequisites to downloading the logo from there.  But if you ask Jason he'll most likely both give you access to the material outside of DTRPG, and tell you what settings to set in your account.

6 hours ago, Chris Goodwin said:

There are a few settings you need to make in your DTRPG account that give you access to the community content program, and those might be prerequisites to downloading the logo from there.  But if you ask Jason he'll most likely both give you access to the material outside of DTRPG, and tell you what settings to set in your account.

Not that I can see. I'm at the page for the Hall of Champions community, and it says where to place the logo (alongside the text you need to include), but nothing on downloading the logo.  All the instructions on how to upload are there on the community page. Guess I'll have to ask Jason. Still makes no sense to make it this hard to get the logo though

35 minutes ago, urbwar said:

Not that I can see. I'm at the page for the Hall of Champions community, and it says where to place the logo (alongside the text you need to include), but nothing on downloading the logo.  All the instructions on how to upload are there on the community page. Guess I'll have to ask Jason. Still makes no sense to make it this hard to get the logo though

The graphic at the bottom of the first post on this thread is the logo.  You should be able to save it from here.  

• 2 weeks later...

There are a few ideas I have running around in my head for years. Since right now I have not the time and energy for it, nor my spelling is perfect enough for it, I might as well give anyone and everyone permission to do anything with the ideas.

Champions of the Rising Sun: My Japan in the Champions Universe book. Much like Kingdom of Champions is for Great Britain, and Champions of the North is for Canada, CotRS should be for Japan. I would like to use the Zen Corporation and Zen Team for this book, if Susanno would let me.

Enimies of the Rising Sun: The villains book, expanding the few presented in CotRS.

Orochi, The Eight Heads: A book all there own presenting the hi-tech samurai organization Orochi, and the eight leaders of the group, the goles of the group (drive all non-Japanese from the island chain and return the power to the Shogun...more correctly the Kage No Shogun), and there methods. I need a better name for the book. And be assure, they can and will leave Japan if doing so helps there cause.

Rookie Enimies: A bunch of begining villains for Champions.

Hero System Psionics: What the Hero System Grimald is to spells, this is to mental powers.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/13/2020 at 10:57 PM, Bruce Wallon said:

To be more clear, submissions are needed for my upcoming CHAMPIONS supplement.

Reply here with villain team names, listing team member names & powers or sending PDF's to my e-mail.

I have ideas. Tons of them.

The Gunsight Boyz

A group of rappers/supervillains ready for a literal battle of the bands against Road Kill.

Drive-By: Speedster with a machine gun.

Van Man: Brick. Too heavy for most cars to carry, hench the name.

Chop-a-fool: Can surround his hands with a strong force field able to cut human flesh as it was paper.

On 1/13/2020 at 10:24 PM, Bruce Wallon said:

Fire away with original villain team names, each team name used, I'll credit you by name & copy your forum picture & stats into the table of contents,

my highly classified supplement. Each character used will be credited by name; Please submit a PDF with powers and/or art; I'll be re-doing all the numbers.

Confidential Collaborations: BRAINWAVE@USA.COM

Where can we get more details on what you are doing ?

• 5 weeks later...