Community Content Program: Hall of Champions

Jason S.Walters

Really bummed, my go to starter Champs adventure has disappeared from the designated location.  Or in other words I can't seem to find it.

Looks like my free time for the next few days will involve digging through boxes and boxes of RPG material looking for my Hero adventure materials. 

I really hope I do not have to rewrite it all from scratch :nonp:

21 hours ago, KawangaKid said:

For us publishing newbies -- any recommended tools for creating & laying out PDFs?

You can do a lot with just a word processor... I created this PDF by writing a document in LibreOffice Writer (a free take on MS Word) and using their built in PDF converter.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Y5hufEqzSfmn5OfIU6QNsj1WW-spQJx8

14 hours ago, sentry0 said:

You can do a lot with just a word processor... I created this PDF by writing a document in LibreOffice Writer (a free take on MS Word) and using their built in PDF converter.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Y5hufEqzSfmn5OfIU6QNsj1WW-spQJx8

Yep. Just about any modern word processor can generate a PDF, and has reasonably good layout capabilities. Not as robust as an actual desktop publishing app, but the gap has shrunk a lot.

In another thread the topic of where can we find good art cheaply has come up.  I have never used this site and am not associated with them in any way but I think it has potential - https://www.fiverr.com/.  I have looked into them before for a hobby project I worked on but never actually used them because I couldn't justify the expense.

It looks like it's an online marketplace for artists to hire themselves out as freelancers.  Some of the sample art I've seen is remarkably good and easy on the pocket book.

If anyone feels like sprucing up their books with some original artwork and has some spare cash, it may bear fruit.

Of course, you would have to decide for yourself if you think you can recoup the money in sales 😁

It's also worth pointing out that we have artists within this community like Scott Ruggles who have already offered up their services.  Some of these artists already have works that appear in published materials and I would be inclined to throw money at them first, personally.

Hi guys! From the main page: as most of you already know, Hero Games will be launching a fan-driven community content program on DriveThruRPG in about two weeks, similar to Dungeon Masters Guild and Storytellers Vault. And at this point an amazing *fifty* of you have contacted me about contributing work to it!  I was surprised and overwhelmed by the positive response, which I thank you all for. 

However, to launch the program in a couple of weeks I need many of you who have expressed interest to turn in your work in advance. So if you're working on something, have contacted me, and are nearly ready: please don't hesitate any longer. Send it to me!

- Jason Walters, Publisher   

HeroGamesHoC-Square.png

Dear Jason,

I'm not quite ready to do something for this program just yet. I am wondering, do I really need to get in on day one, or can I submit something later?

Also, must it be adventures? Or can I submit a single npc (villain, or whatever) ?

I'm posting this in public, cause I think everyone can enjoy the answer.

22 hours ago, steriaca said:

This was intended for those who may have completed a project, and were holding back for some reason. It's not meant to pressure anyone; though, again, DriveThru requires that a new community content program open with a certain number of fan creations already available through it, and I don't have enough yet. 

If you haven't seen it yet, there is a complete file about what can, cannot, and can with permission be published under the community content program. Feel free to email me at jason@herogames.com to see it and ask for more information. 

Jason Walters, Publisher 

22 hours ago, steriaca said:

I'm not quite ready to do something for this program just yet. I am wondering, do I really need to get in on day one, or can I submit something later?

Also, must it be adventures? Or can I submit a single npc (villain, or whatever) ?

I'm posting this in public, cause I think everyone can enjoy the answer.

Ok. I got the info thanks to Dropbox.

I can definitely do a single villain (and other character) products. I can't do artwork so...

And payment is via PayPal only. I don't exactly have a bank account. I have my paycheck direct deposit onto my Ace Debit Card. Can I link PayPal to such an account?

Hello Jason and everyone else,

I have some HERO adventures that I would be happy to submit.  I'm working on a couple campaign settings for HERO, the biggest priority is Russian Winter- where the PCs are a group of former Soviet superheroes trying to find their place in post-Soviet Russia and its neighbors.   However, I could use some help in terms of adding maps and environmental features- along with prettying up the language.

Jason & all,

I have pulled together some of my material but it is laid out in my person "short hand" style rather than anything remotely designed for someone else to read and follow.  I am pretty sure I can organize and format one into something usable.  

But I am not a writer by profession or hobby and I was hoping to see the HoC guidelines/format templates before proceeding.

Any chance of those being made available in advance of kick-off?