Jason S.Walters

Community Content Program: Hall of Champions

On 1/13/2020 at 10:24 PM, Bruce Wallon said:

Fire away with original villain team names, each team name used, I'll credit you by name & copy your forum picture & stats into the table of contents,

my highly classified supplement. Each character used will be credited by name; Please submit a PDF with powers and/or art; I'll be re-doing all the numbers.

Confidential Collaborations: BRAINWAVE@USA.COM

Where can we get more details on what you are doing ?

I have a quick question: when doing a villain book, is it all right to include Champions Now statistics in addition to stats for the other editions you are using? I'm kind of torn on this creatively, since Ron says in CN that villains need to be created with specific heroes in mind as opposed to throwing in a villain who might not fit the campaign concept.

In other words, is Champions Now off-limits to the Hall of Champions, at least for now?

6 minutes ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

In other words, is Champions Now off-limits to the Hall of Champions, at least for now?

I seem to remember reading something about Champions Now being included in the Hall. But as you say, it goes pretty much against everything Ron is concerned with in his game.

My attitude to Champions Now is that once you buy it, it's yours.

So while it's nice to acknowledge Ron's vision, it's not necessary.

I can think of a couple of products that wouldn't be too much of a contradiction with Ron's vision.

Some ideas:

A villains book aimed at easy conversion to a particular game's needs. The idea that I would work with would be the Shell Book idea, used in schools in Papua New Guinea.

A bunch of different sets of Situations. Since, in my experience, defining a character's situations takes up roughly half the time spent designing a character, tools for making this quicker and easier would be a good idea.

And a bunch of others that I can't elaborate on after having woken up way too early after having stayed up way too late.

The main issue, of course, is that you need to have played the game for a while before you can come up with stuff that is actually useful.

Well something would be nice considering inDesign is no longer available.  I never liked MS Publisher and guess I need to find a program that will work if I plan on actually getting a adventure or two out.

5 hours ago, Spence said:

Well something would be nice considering inDesign is no longer available.  I never liked MS Publisher and guess I need to find a program that will work if I plan on actually getting a adventure or two out.

What happened to InDesign? The progrtam that's been an industry standard for such a long time?

10 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

What happened to InDesign? The progrtam that's been an industry standard for such a long time?

It went from a program you can purchase to a rip off subscription. I could justify buying a program for intermittent use over 3 or 4 years.  But i cannot justify paying that amount for a 1 year access. 

I'll need to shop around for a similar program that is still on the market

1 hour ago, zslane said:

I kinda agree with Spence on this. Adobe has effectively priced the hobbyist out of their product suite.

Pretty much spot on.

I'll have to tinker and see what I can do  with MS Publisher I guess :nonp:

1 hour ago, zslane said:

Why not give Affinity Publisher a try?

I have MS Publisher on my computer already. 

I literally just heard about Affinity in this thread.

On 5/6/2020 at 7:46 PM, Asperion said:

I have been using Libreoffice. It is a medium quality totally free substitute for MS Office that will accept MS Office doc and works the same.

I will accept this description if you consider MS Office to be a below-medium app.

On 5/6/2020 at 6:25 PM, zslane said:

Why not give Affinity Publisher a try?

So I picked up the Affinity publisher a little while ago.  It has a really reasonable price plus it was on sale. 

I haven't had time to do much with it yet though.