Golden Age Champions Table Top Game.

Dayson

21 minutes ago, Tjack said:

Well, if you can move parts of your body so fast they vibrate....

On another note,  for a while Marvel had them as the parents of the Scarlet Witch & Quicksilver.  This was before they were retconed into being Magneto’s kids.

And it was stretching powers that got Sue Storm for Reed Richards.

I think his greatest power was getting Miss America, a superstrong flying superheroine who happened to be a brilliant millionaire, and who looked like Maureen O'Hara, to go out with his. 

One of my favorite characters of all time, both costumes and powers.  She was a telekinetic :)

12 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

One of my favorite characters of all time, both costumes and powers.  She was a telekinetic :)

Originally she had super-strength, was very tough, could fly, had x-ray vision, and a brilliant mind.  Not surprisingly she was created by Otto Binder who has previously created Mary Marvel, and would create Supergirl.  There is a bridge in National City named after him.  

I have a paperback copy of The Avengers Battle The Earth -Wrecker by Otto Binder from 1967.

51u+jF9bn7L._SX299_BO1,204,203,200_ (1).jpg

Everything I learned about the Golden Age came from Republic Serials.  A number of wartime ones would serve well as a bases for a Champions campaign.  The Even Mastermind who's headquarters is often hidden inside the Heroes based of operations (yes, that happened a lot), his evil henchmen led by Clayton Moore (unless he was a G-Man), all working to build the ultimate weapon (usually a death ray but sometimes a space ship) and the hero and his sidekick/love interest were all that were standing in the way of doom.

On 11/5/2019 at 9:59 AM, Dayson said:

I don’t have access to those. However, I am using the posts above for inspiration, at least for act one. Thank you for your wonderful ideas.

You've got access.

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Superman-The-Golden-Age

https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Adventure-Comics-1938

There are a ton of old comics available for free.

On 11/6/2019 at 3:27 AM, John Desmarais said:

It wasn’t a full transfusion.  He was bitten by a venomous snake and then injected with mongoose blood to serve as an antidote (still pretty silly though).

Yes, in AFRICA! But lucky Him that there was a mongoose around - probably on a sightseeing tour from INDIA  - that kinda volunteered to give him said blood transfusion.

The Whizzer's backstory is so stupid and without any sense on so many levels it almost makes sense again:
"Sooo - you say that you were bitten by a venomous snake in Africa, got a bloodtransfusion from an animals that is hunting and killing snakes that only liveds India but just happened to be there. Then the quac ... doctor who came up with the idea got killed by a heart attack and you developed this super-speed power and now you are fighting crime and dating that wealthy, flying superstrong loooker?

Hmmm ... yeah, sounds totally legit to me. I believe you 100% because this tale is too stupid that someyone could invent it, tell it straight-faced and think that anyone would believe it!"

Please note, many Golden Age Comics not only use rubber science (see the origin of the Wizzer), but also don't really believe in continuity. So don't be afraid of having a villain you just introduce announcing that he is some guy's arch nemesis, and everyone plays that they know and haye each other, just because.

On 11/4/2019 at 11:25 AM, Dayson said:

I am going to run a 6th ed. Golden Age Champions tabletop game for my friend. This will be his introduction to Hero. I want to get some advice as to what scenario to use for his first experience in our wonderful system. I plan on using the bare minimum rules so as to not overwhelm him. Any help is very much appreciated. 

My buddy from work found out about this and wants me to run a game for him also. "When it rains it pours." I went from 0 games to 3 in a months time. This one is going to have to be a PBEM game. WHEW!

On 11/4/2019 at 12:02 PM, Doc Democracy said:

Something simple.  Something straightforward.  Something that allows him to use his powers and to generate that feeling of awe among the general populace of just how awesome this mystery man actually is.

The classic is to have something go wrong at the World Fair, robot coming to life, a sea monster attacking, some villainous agents coming to rob the great and the good.

Really the nature of the PC should drive the detail of the scenario - something tailored to show off the abilities rather than to test them to destruction.

Doc

I think this is great intro for any new player and Comic Age.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dayson said:

I have both my players trapped in the basement of the Egyptian pavilion during the 1939 World's Fair in Queens NY.  They still have to work out how to escape. Let the fun begin.

Of course, there is some kind of Batman '66 type deathtrap involved somewhere. There has to be. Unless "trapped in an area where air is limited" is it.

The only problem with death traps is both building tension and not getting to a place where the PLAYERS do not see the avenues for escape that the CHARACTERS would.

For building tension you can run time.  I find a better solution is to have a dice pool that the players roll at set points (often decision points or significant actions).  When someone rolls the pool, any dice coming up six is removed, shrinking the pool.  When the pool is empty "something" happens.  If the players have not escaped then you can kill them (bad GM-ing IMO), rescue them (slightly better), have the trap go off and lead them through escaping with heroic actions and damage sustained/resources lost, use their apparently unsuccessful actions to show why the trap does not work as anticipated, or some other plot advancing result. Phew! 🙂

People love reading about their heroes escaping from death traps, they often hate being in them unless you make the situation one of possibilities rather than impossibilities.  If the players do not immediately engage with the problem solving throw some vague hints, highlighting the key features of the trap.  As the pool shrinks you could offer more detailed clues, with or without the need for skill or characteristic rolls.

I give you all this as evidence where my enthusiasm for death traps have led, in the past, to less than enjoyable gaming sessions!! 😬

Doc

If your going for the deathtrap route, the more fun the better. Also, just because the word death is in the title don't mean that it has to be instant death or even cause death.

Still, what hero can resist a young woman tied to train tracks? Especially during the Golden Age of Comics?

It is not a death trap. I designed it to be more of an exercise in teamwork. They have to work together to escape their current predicament. However, there is a time element to it. Whomever is holding them will eventually be coming back. There is also a risk vs. reward element. Do they stay and fight or sneak away and escape? That is up to them. "Stay tuned citizens, same Bat time, same Bat channel!"

8 hours ago, Doc Democracy said:

I give you all this as evidence where my enthusiasm for death traps have led, in the past, to less than enjoyable gaming sessions!! 

I completely agree, players get so unreasonable after you cack (Verb, meaning: To kill) the entire team a few lousy times....wimps.

(Tongue placed firmly in cheek.  Reach up to straighten halo.)

5 hours ago, Tjack said:

I completely agree, players get so unreasonable after you cack (Verb, meaning: To kill) the entire team a few lousy times....wimps.

(Tongue placed firmly in cheek.  Reach up to straighten halo.)

The thing is, deathtraps means different things in different gendras. In something like D'n'D, it is perfectly acceptable to have a trap murder one member, as character creation is rather quick and easy. In the Hero System, character creation takes up one entire session in and of itself. Heroes should only be placed in such a situation if that would exactly be what the villain would do if he has the time, and has planned it out ahead of time. It also helps to have multiple ways out AND be willing to wing it IF the player actually has a comic book rational about escaping the trap.

NPC's, on the other hand, are fare game.

The problem with a death trap is that it relies on the writer knowing how to get out and making the character figure it out.  Players are... less reliable in that aspect.  You often have to end up giving them die rolls to figure things out which is less than satisfying.  On the other hand, sometimes they come up with a way of trying to get out which you had not considered.  And if its remotely feasible or entertaining... go for it, even if you have to change things a bit to make it work.

Better you change your plans for the player to succeed on their own than force them along a predetermined path through die rolls to feed them info.