Coronavirus

Steve

1 hour ago, Ragitsu said:

Antibiotics are chemical, however; they are imprecise (not to mention slow) compared to a solution that can be modified and upgraded on the fly. That said, I do agree that we need to fundamentally restructure certain aspects of our standards of living.

You have to determine the necessary modification first...then ensure that it doesn't go haywire and attack something else...effectively becoming a new autoimmune disease.  The research and testing remain the same...or potentially get even worse, because if your nanobots go haywire, there may be little time to react.

What you might gain, of course, is two things:

1.  Rapid, even on-the-fly testing.  "Hey nanobots, do you see something weird in my blood?"  

2.  Rapid deployment, and one that could act as both treatment and vaccine.

1 minute ago, Pariah said:

We keep receiving a Sports Illustrated subscription for someone who hasn't lived here in five years or more. This is what the front cover looked like today:

sports-org-canceled-sports-CONTENT-2020.

I personally vote Adam Silver as Sports Person of the Year.  And there is basically no chance anyone else can even be in the running, partly because I don't see sports returning until next year, and partly because, even if they do, Silver's action is up there with Branch Rickey integrating baseball.

6 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

You have to determine the necessary modification first...then ensure that it doesn't go haywire and attack something else...effectively becoming a new autoimmune disease.  The research and testing remain the same...or potentially get even worse, because if your nanobots go haywire, there may be little time to react.

What you might gain, of course, is two things:

1.  Rapid, even on-the-fly testing.  "Hey nanobots, do you see something weird in my blood?"  

2.  Rapid deployment, and one that could act as both treatment and vaccine.

There are going to be bumps in the learning curve, yes, but the software which governs the nanobots' movements will improve and become increasing stable with each iteration. There are also advancements in artificial intelligence to be taken into account.

Just now, Ragitsu said:

There is going to be a learning curve, yes, but the software which governs the nanobots' movements will improve and become increasing stable with each iteration. There are also advancements in artificial intelligence to be taken into account.

You're implying an insanely complex controller with massive, massive smarts...and many easy ways to screw up.  

11 hours ago, Ragitsu said:

How is Australia handling the virus compared to other nations, by the way? I wish I resided in some obscure nook in either your country or New Zealand.

This pretty much sums things up at the moment.

Australia's largest single-day rise

We have yet to receive any new coronavirus numbers today, so let's use the relative quiet to take stock of where Australia is.

The total number of confirmed cases, based on a tally of numbers provided by health authorities in each state and territory, now stands at 3640.

There are 1617 in New South Wales, 685 in Victoria, 625 in Queensland, 287 in South Australia, 278 in Western Australia, 62 in Tasmania, 71 in the Australian Capital Territory and 15 in the Northern Territory [this is my state, er territory].

Yesterday marked Australia's largest rise in cases in a single day, with another 460 added to the tally.

It was actually the largest by some margin – the previous record was 382 – but we should note it coincided with a significant increase in tests conducted. More tests mean more results, and more confirmed cases.

We also recorded another death yesterday, bringing the national toll to 14. The victim was a 91-year-old woman from an aged care facility in the Sydney suburb Macquarie Park.

Source: https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/coronavirus-australia-live-updates/live-coverage/e7597ca8cc24b08a269b36d4152d6836#42852

1 minute ago, unclevlad said:

You're implying an insanely complex controller with massive, massive smarts...and many easy ways to screw up.  

A modern supercomputer is unfathomable to a nineteenth-century layman barely familiar with a difference engine. Computing power continues to advance at an exponential rate and so I continue to remain optimistic about the future of nanotechnological medicine. That said, I do not wish to derail this thread any further with discussion concerning a subject that is presently impractical. If you wish, we can resume our talk elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, Pariah said:

Lady P finds this comment amusing, as do I.

Well...I got it from her Facebook timeline... (there is more to come, so hang on, but not posting right now. giving it a bit of a break. for ppl to actually discuss this pandemic). 

55 minutes ago, unclevlad said:

I personally vote Adam Silver as Sports Person of the Year.  And there is basically no chance anyone else can even be in the running, partly because I don't see sports returning until next year, and partly because, even if they do, Silver's action is up there with Branch Rickey integrating baseball.

Sports going away is the moment we realized "Dang, this just got real!". It may have been the impetus that led us to where we are today, with daily briefings, shelter-in-place orders, and taking it seriously.