2020-2021 NFL Thread

Starlord

11 minutes ago, Old Man said:

Not gonna lie, I kind of want to see this game. Except for the injury risk to the players.   

Yeah it would be interesting, especially if they could've figured out some crazy scheme.

Hey maybe, the could put both those players in a shotgun and have the center random snap. Call it the double barrel.

I've been reading comments from some Broncos fans, and a lot of them are seriously pissed about this. One fan even suggested sending Commissioner Goodell the game ball once the farce was over.

The main argument is this: Pittsburgh and Baltimore had COVID-19 problems this week, and their game got pushed back 5 days. Earlier this season the Broncos effectively lost their bye week when Cam Newton got sick and the NFL rearranged the schedule so he could have a week to recover. Now Denver loses all of its quarterbacks in one Saturday afternoon, and we don't even get an extra day or two to install a new offense.

I know the Commissioner and the League I have tried to treat all teams equally in the midst of all this. But in Denver, at least, it sure seems like some teams are more equal than others.

I *think* the reason the Broncos are stuck trying to play today is that their outbreak is narrower.  The killer is...where it hit.  I agree that from a competitive standpoint, the game's a farce, but we all know the league cares far more about getting the games in the books than anything else.

I think if it was an NCAA game, it wouldn't have been played because there's roster size *and* positional requirements.

I'm glad I'm not watching;  CBS has KC-Bucs and that's the only game on.  Because...ok, I don't demand pass-happy, but I strongly suspect this game is setting a record for fewest net yards passing combined.

1 yard.  That's with a minute left, and the Broncos about to get the ball.  They're 0-6.  So, hey, could be 2 records...fewest completions in a half.  Guaranteed to tie it, if they don't complete one in the last minute.  OHHHH my...no, they don't throw incompletions...they throw a pick........

And the Saints throw a 20 yard completion...so that probably kills the combined net yards...

Doug Marrone may now be considered a dead man walking.  GM Dave Caldwell got axed;  10 straight losses tends to do that, with all the other personnel mis-steps.  So Marrone goes at the end of the season, after the new GM's picked.  

And goooood grief Charlie Brown, someone teach Carr to get rid of the ball on HIS terms...rather than the lineman stripping it.  Raiders are the most *wildly* inconsistent team this year.  Falcons have life after Quinn's departure but....43-6?

3 hours ago, Pariah said:

The Broncos and Saints combined for two completions for -8 yards in the first quarter of their game today.

Hinton ended up 1 for 9.

I did come across, a Bills/Jets boxscore in the mid 70s. Where the Bill's Joe Ferguson went 0 for 2 for the game.  Of course, OJ went for 150+, and the fullback Jim Braxton went over 100 too.

Also, probably helping them was Joe Namath who went 2 for 18 with 3 interceptions.

So, in that game defenders caught more passes than receivers.

Just now, Badger said:

Hinton ended up 1 for 9.

I did come across, a Bills/Jets boxscore in the mid 70s. Where the Bill's Joe Ferguson went 0 for 2 for the game.  Of course, OJ went for 150+, and the fullback Jim Braxton went over 100 too.

Also, probably helping them was Joe Namath who went 2 for 18 with 3 interceptions.

So, in that game defenders caught more passes than receivers.

Oh and Namath Qb rating was 0.

So, this was news to me.  SI reports this:

A new report might shed some light on the subject. The Athletic's Lindsay Jones reported on Saturday evening that when the contact-tracing interviews were undertaken, Lock, Rypien, and Bortles weren't exactly open books and it was later discovered that the trio had broken protocols by not mask up when and where they should and did not wear their tracking devices 'consistently.' 

So one of the Broncos was asserting the league was punishing the Broncos by making them play today.

Yeah...I can believe that.  And support the league doing so, overall.  Follow the rules, kiddies, OR ELSE.  Broncos should dock all 3 QBs the game check.

Of course...even having someone who is nominally a quarterback...and has, in fact, started numerous games...doesn't imply competency.  Just ask Bears fans.

9 hours ago, unclevlad said:

So, this was news to me.  SI reports this:

So one of the Broncos was asserting the league was punishing the Broncos by making them play today.

Yeah...I can believe that.  And support the league doing so, overall.  Follow the rules, kiddies, OR ELSE.  Broncos should dock all 3 QBs the game check.

Of course...even having someone who is nominally a quarterback...and has, in fact, started numerous games...doesn't imply competency.  Just ask Bears fans.

Drew Lock apologizes, acknowledging he did not wear a mask inside Broncos' facility

This kind of stuff calls for player suspensions...I was siding with the Broncos initially, but if no one inside the facility is checking these guys then you deserve what you got.

I have to wonder what fans of the Packers, Seahawks, Rams, etc. have to say about all of this. New Orleans is currently the #1 seed in the NFC and would get the conference's only bye week if the playoffs started today. They basically got a freebie yesterday in Denver; the outcome of the game was a forgone conclusion. Meanwhile, the Packers had to play a division rival--never an easy task, even if it is the Bears. Seattle gets Philly tonight; the Eagles are in a playoff chase of their own. The Rams lost a heartbreaker to division rival San Francisco yesterday. All while the Saints were feasting on a team starting an undrafted rookie wide receiver from the practice squad--with zero practice snaps at the position--at quarterback.

Things are so messed up this season that I am not sure Seattle fans noticed the hopelessness of the Broncos.  If anything, there was much happiness in Seattle this weekend with both the Rams and the Cardinals -- the in-division rivals -- losing.  With regard to the Saints, I think the Denver fiasco gave them a temporary lift after Brees was all-but-KIA for more conventional medical reasons; otherwise, frankly, I don't think New Orleans is even on most folks' radar here.  Earlier this season, Seattle was identified as having the easiest post-Thanksgiving schedule in the entire league, and so now the focus is on making sure those presumed W's get accumulated.

On the flip side, tho, what options did the league have?  Postpone...until when?  IIRC the protocol is 5 days for contact violations.  Contact included Friday, I believe, so that means Wednesday *at the earliest*....and now you're well into interfering with week 13's schedule.  That spreads the mess.

So some of this is timing, if you're contrasting this with the Ravens.  The Ravens were supposed to play on Thursdays;  slipping those back to Sunday doesn't create a ripple.  Sunday to Tuesday...I think the difference is the degree of spread.  The Ravens closed their whole facility for Friday and Saturday.  I don't believe the Broncos did, so the rest of the team was nominally prepared.

And, last:  the Denver QBs tried to cover it up.  That's a major amplifier, almost always;  it's taking it from negligence to willful recklessness, on the reasonable assumption that they were hoping to skate through and play.  So, yeah, I get that Green Bay and Seattle fans/teams can be a bit upset, but it wasn't about the Saints, or the indirect impacts.  The Broncos fundamentally were forced to forfeit because their players broke the rules.  The league took the most commercial approach to doing so, to be sure;  that can't be ignored.  This might be construed as the most expedient solution...but it's a plausible one, in my book.  Valuing expediency isn't horrible here.

EDIT:  hoo boy, it's possible the Ravens-Steelers game will STILL be called off.  Ravens not practicing today.  Ravens have at least a dozen players who've tested positive...so that's the longer quarantine.  And if I caught the Bottom Line flash, 18 players will be unavailable overall.  So that's probably even more crippling than not having a QB, because it means *every* unit is probably going to be screwed up.

Isn't "Refusing to play" synonymous with "Forfeit"?

If the Broncos can play without a quarterback on less than 24 hours' notice, then the Ravens can certainly play with whatever adversity they might still be experiencing after three delays of six days total.

Is this what causes the Broncos to decide to move on from Drew Lock? Does the franchise even have anyone capable of making that decision?

5 Scathing Takeaways From Broncos' 31-3 Loss to Saints Sans a QB

tl;dr version:

1. Lock (as well as Rypion and Bortles) let the team down; yet another strike against a guy trying to prove that he's The Guy.

2. The NFL's handling of COVID-19 is capricious at best.

3. The Broncos have been, and continue to be, a ship without a rudder since Pat Bowlen died.

4. Kendall Hinton deserves a game ball for accepting the challenge to play quarterback in the NFL on less than 24 hours notice.

5. The Denver defense, despite giving up 31 points, effectively shut down Taysom Hill in the passing game.

Worst case scenario: Lock, Rypion, and Bortles all test positive and Kendall Hinton is the starter again next week against Kansas City.