THE WORST SUPERHERO MOVIES OF ALL TIME

Bazza

1 hour ago, Greywind said:

The 2 shining lights were Evans and Chiklis.

I thought their Reed Richards nailed the appearance as closely as humanly possible. And he pulled off looking absent-minded from time to time...but that could have just been the actor struggling to remember his lines.

I liked the two Fantastic Four movies with Alba, Gruffudd, Chiklis and Evans, but as I said earlier they weren't the groundbreaking, game-changing movies we've come to expect since the MCU came into play.  I, for one, would have liked there to be more movies with that cast--but I doubt Alba would have returned after director Tim Story's treatment of her.  (He was supposed to have told Alba in one scene of the second movie that she "Wasn't crying prettily enough."  Just how is one supposed to cry pretty?)

But again--no Goldface?  No Argoman?  No Black Scorpion? (The first movie was okay, the TV series was a tremendous disappointment.)  No Blankman?

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2020 at 11:10 PM, wcw43921 said:

What?  Condorman isn't on this list?  Or Pumaman?  Or Supersonic Man?   Or any of the Turkish or Indian adaptations of Superman?  Or Rat Pfink a BooBoo?   (I'll let you look those up for yourselves.)

I've seen a number of movies on this list--many of them, like Green Lantern, are not bad--they just aren't the groundbreaking movies that were Ricard Donner's Superman, or Tim Burton's Batman, or Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, or Bryan Singer's X-Men, or any of the MCU movies up to and including The Avengers.  Those set a really high bar for moviemakers to vault over, and not all of them make it.  Patty Jenkins' Wonder Woman is one that does;  the MCU version of Spider-Man--not so much.

For myself, I'd like to see even more superhero movies and TV series, and not just DC and Marvel.  Sylvester Stallone has a movie coming out next year called Samaritan--no relation to the Astro City character, apparently.  The downside to there being more superhero movies and TV is we get more stuff like Brightburn and The Boys, made by people who hate superheroes.

Ugh, I utterly despised the MCU Spider-man movie.  I actually didn't watch Far From Home because I despised the first one so much, I actually walked out in the middle of it because I disliked it so much.  Barely competent Spidey would be bad enough but condescending abusive Tony Stark was a step to far.  

4 hours ago, Twilight said:

Ugh, I utterly despised the MCU Spider-man movie.  I actually didn't watch Far From Home because I despised the first one so much, I actually walked out in the middle of it because I disliked it so much.  Barely competent Spidey would be bad enough but condescending abusive Tony Stark was a step to far.  

I concur, although I was able to make it through the whole movie.  Even the Captain America cameos were disappointing, as was their version of MJ--which seemed to me to be a bad emulation of Daria Morgendorfer, if anyone remembers that character.  I suppose they felt the "va-va-voom" version of the character was inappropriate for a high schooler, but still.  .  .

The Spider-Man of the comics never needed a mentor. Nor did he need a Cadillac Spider-Suit with more gadgets than James Bond's Aston Martin. He got by just fine on his own, even with the press, the public, and every lawbreaker this side of The Red Skull against him--and that included The Red Skull on a couple of occasions. That was what was so disappointing about the MCU's Spider-Man, who's basically become a wholly owned subsidiary of Stark Enterprises.

I didn't bother with the second movie, either.  I seriously doubt I'll bother with the third.

11 hours ago, Twilight said:

I think most of the regulars here can back me up when I say that I am the first person to admit that I know absolutely nothing about comic books.  However, I have read some Iron Man way, _way_ back when, and I have to say that condescending abusive Tony Stark seemed pretty much spot-on for the character I remember.

I don't know how accurate this was, but the buddy that was handing me these things to read (I was confused; my only other comic experience was Captain Marvel from _years_ before that; Captain Marvel seemed like what I expected a superhero to be.  Tony Stark was a horse's ass) kept insisting that Iron Man was a redemption story: the superhero alter ego was to atone for who he was as a person, the evil he did, etc.

Again: I have no idea how accurate that was, but I do know that the Tony Stark I am familiar with was very much condescending abusive Tony Stark.

The rest of the comments-- I'll totally take your word for it.  I know who Spiderman _is_, obviously, but all I know about him comes from the three Toby McGuire movies and the three Nicholas Hammond movies in the seventies.

I didn't like the last Toby McGuire movie:  it should have been _at least_ two movies, preferably three, or-- even better-- drop the whole gooey alien costume thing entirely.  I know that character (whose name escapes me at the moment) is as popular as coats in Alaska, but it's like the Punisher:  it starts nowhere and just stays there.

On 9/27/2020 at 9:27 AM, slikmar said:

I think they were ignoring made for tv movies, which the 1990 Cap movie might be. I noticed that the 80s Spiderman aren't on there either.

The 90 Cap movie is actually mentioned in the article.  It and some others didn't get a minimum of 20 critic's reviews thereby not qualifying for the list.

Well that was disappointing.  Looking for a list of superhero movies and got a list of movies that are at least distantly related to a comic, graphic novel or magazine character. 

Kind of like opening an article titled Best Performing Sports Cars and realizing it is actually discussing whether a Kenworth or Peterbilt is a better rig.

On 9/28/2020 at 10:06 AM, Lord Liaden said:

I never understood the hate for Daredevil. Sure, it has flaws, but it was one of the earliest superhero movies to be filmed in comic-book style and imagery. Some parts are very well done IMHO. The scene where Matt can visualize Elektra from the sound of rain falling on her is hauntingly beautiful.

I think it is because people have become spoiled by modern movies.  They either never saw them or have chosen to ignore the stepping stone movies that allowed movie makers to experiment and develop the technology needed to make the modern movie we enjoy now. 

Each new attempt to bring a untried genre/type of movie was usually laughably bad.  Before you get a movie with the effects and production value of Lord of the Rings, Hobbit or Game of Thrones (whether you like the shows themselves) you get a lot of Ator’s, Beastmaster's and the litany of other rough shows that proved that “movie goers will not pay to see a fantasy movie”.  Before Star Wars made scifi movies acceptable, we have decades of B and D roll scifi shows that were relegated to children.  Before you get a great and polished production, there will be dozens if not hundreds of bad or laughably bad attempts. 

There have been some really well-done anime-based movies in recent years.  They are usually ruthlessly attacked and vilified by the intellectually stunted idiots that lack any understanding of the concept that you have to walk before you can run.  The same people that rave and cheer when a 20+ anime series gets a 2 hour OAV, b*tch and moan when they take a 20+ episode anime series and make a 2 hour live action.  The level of idiocy almost breaks the brain. 

Daredevil was actually a good show.  Does it meet 2020+ production and writing standards?  No.  But is definitely was better than multiple earlier attempts at supers live action. 

I remember the first X-Men movie.  Everyone was blown away and raved about it.  You saw and actual super battle on the screen!  And so on.  Today there is no shortage of criticism.

I have an idea.  We should make the ability to comment on any film or show require a license.  To get the license you will be locked in a room and forced to watch 1000 hours of scifi and fantasy films and TV shows from the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.   Only after successfully surviving it are you allowed to comment on current films and TV shows. 

14 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I think most of the regulars here can back me up when I say that I am the first person to admit that I know absolutely nothing about comic books.  However, I have read some Iron Man way, _way_ back when, and I have to say that condescending abusive Tony Stark seemed pretty much spot-on for the character I remember.

I am with you on comics.  I pretty much stopped reading them in the late 80's(?) when comic writers effectively abandoned the concept of heroes.  But Robert Downey pretty much nailed the Ironman I remember, but then the Ironman character was one of the reasons I stopped reading comics.  I could get druggies and drunks in really life and on TV everyday.  I read comics for fun superHERO stories and when that ended so did the comic. 

6 hours ago, slikmar said:

I liked Beastmaster. My friend and I must have seen it 3 times in the theater.

Oh, I loved Beastmaster and saw it multiple times and when it came out on VHS it was on my shelf.

But as much as I like it, I acknowledge that when compared to fantasy movies in the 2000's or even late 90's, it doesn't stand up to them. 

I actually enjoy older movies have no problem seeing the intent over the actual effects.

There have been several anime/manga live actions that are actually pretty good.  As good as a 100+ million dollar Hollywood blockbuster?  No.  Better than a 90's genre movie?  Absolutely. 

I routinely watch a lot of K-Drama and some J-Drama.  I can't keep count of how many K-Drama's are remakes of a US, Canadian, Australian, UK or European show that has been reworked for Korea.  The number of US shows based on reworked shows from other countries is about as high as other countries reworking US shows for their audiences. 

This is not bad, it is not just good, it is fantastic as it brings great stories to a wider audience. 

I have a hard time thinking of Beastmaster as a superhero movie.  Nothing against it, but it's basically Conan The Barbarian mashed up with Doctor Doolittle.

But again--no Wild World Of Batwoman. aka She Was A Hippy Vampire?  No Invasion Of The Neptune Men?  The Wonder Woman movie with Cathy Lee Crosby?  There are many other superhero movies that are much worse than the list in the OP.  Movies that we wouldn't dream of suffering through--or even give as gifts.

2 minutes ago, wcw43921 said:

I have a hard time thinking of Beastmaster as a superhero movie.  Nothing against it, but it's basically Conan The Barbarian mashed up with Doctor Doolittle.

But again--no Wild World Of Batwoman. aka She Was A Hippy Vampire?  No Invasion Of The Neptune Men?  The Wonder Woman movie with Cathy Lee Crosby?  There are many other superhero movies that are much worse than the list in the OP.  Movies that we wouldn't dream of suffering through--or even give as gifts.

Well to be fair, most of the list had nothing to do with superheroes, they basically slapped anything with an ability into the list. 

On 10/31/2020 at 1:54 PM, Spence said:

I think it is because people have become spoiled by modern movies.  They either never saw them or have chosen to ignore the stepping stone movies that allowed movie makers to experiment and develop the technology needed to make the modern movie we enjoy now. 

Each new attempt to bring a untried genre/type of movie was usually laughably bad.  Before you get a movie with the effects and production value of Lord of the Rings, Hobbit or Game of Thrones (whether you like the shows themselves) you get a lot of Ator’s, Beastmaster's and the litany of other rough shows that proved that “movie goers will not pay to see a fantasy movie”.  Before Star Wars made scifi movies acceptable, we have decades of B and D roll scifi shows that were relegated to children.  Before you get a great and polished production, there will be dozens if not hundreds of bad or laughably bad attempts. 

There have been some really well-done anime-based movies in recent years.  They are usually ruthlessly attacked and vilified by the intellectually stunted idiots that lack any understanding of the concept that you have to walk before you can run.  The same people that rave and cheer when a 20+ anime series gets a 2 hour OAV, b*tch and moan when they take a 20+ episode anime series and make a 2 hour live action.  The level of idiocy almost breaks the brain. 

Daredevil was actually a good show.  Does it meet 2020+ production and writing standards?  No.  But is definitely was better than multiple earlier attempts at supers live action. 

I remember the first X-Men movie.  Everyone was blown away and raved about it.  You saw and actual super battle on the screen!  And so on.  Today there is no shortage of criticism.

I have an idea.  We should make the ability to comment on any film or show require a license.  To get the license you will be locked in a room and forced to watch 1000 hours of scifi and fantasy films and TV shows from the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s and 80’s.   Only after successfully surviving it are you allowed to comment on current films and TV shows. 

Done.