3 favourite songs

Bazza

Let's see, currently listening to the Siouxsie and the Banshees' cover of the Passenger, always a good song.  Not sure if that's in my top three, but it's a good song. 

At the moment, I'm going to go with:

• This Corrosion - Sisters of Mercy  
  • Runs in the Family - Amanda Palmer 
  • Infra-Red - Placebo 
  • She's In Parties - Bauhaus 

Yeah, that's four songs not three, and they are in the order I found them on my current playlist. Five if you count the Passenger, but I might go with Spellbound or This Wheel's On Fire over that. Orgy's Fiction almost made the list as well. That was a tough one not to include. Another tough cut was Find You Gone by Wolfsheim. There's also a fair amount of Rasputina on this playlist I really like, that I cut out, if for the history lesson alone, I'll point you at  1816, the Year Without A Summer. Off this playlist there's probably some Iron Maiden and Velvet Underground that needs to be represented. In short, three songs is not enough. 

Quoting from the page that provoked thread creation...

On 1/25/2022 at 8:15 PM, Cancer said:

Ramble Tamble from Creedence Clearwater Revival

Phase Dance from Pat Metheny Group

Phobos and Deimos Go To Mars from Synergy

9 hours ago, Cancer said:

A week later:

Change in the Weather by John Fogerty

Summer Lightning by Camel

Eyes of Nostradamus by Al Stewart

I said there that favorite songs are a moving target, and that remains true for sets of only three. 

Only three?  Well, that will always depend on my mood, but here are three which come to mind now:

• "La Villa Strangiato" - Rush
  • "Don Quixote" - Gordon Lightfoot
  • "The Boxer" - Simon & Garfunkel

On another day it might be songs by Soundgarden, Dave Brubeck, and Elton John.  Or Patsy Cline, Blue Öyster Cult, and Steely Dan.  Or... or... or...

Crossing the Line, from GO (usually filed under Stomu Yamashta, though)  I prefer the studio album version (here); the guitar solo starting about 1:30 in is Pat Thrall.

Cross-Tie Walker, from Creedence Clearwater Revival

Time is Tight, by Booker T and the MGs.

All these are great life-transition songs, though I suspect that last one means that only to me, because of personal circumstances when I first heard it relatively frequently.

Live versions

Black by Pearl Jam...the 2012 live recording.  Reportedly the first time Vedder invited the audience to join in on the last verse...and they do a killer job.  Love the song generally;  particularly love this version.  

Then Mark Knopfler.

First, from Real Live Roadrunning with Emmylou Harris...Romeo and Juliet.  He converts some of the chords into separate notes that come across wonderfully.  (The version of Done with Bonaparte from this album is also awesome.)

Then, Wild Theme, the theme from Local Hero, from the older Dire Straits greatest hits album.  Looks like it was recorded in '92 live.  The reverb makes it hauntingly melancholy (to me).

You practically demanded it of me 3 Siouxsie and the banshees songs. Spellbound is overused as it appears in almost all compilations where they want a Banshees track so 

Fireworks. Not available on any album until the second singles collection this has orchestra and band.

Dazzle. I have fond memories of the video of this being broadcast on TV and the presenter's face afterwards told the story of 'I have no idea what this is about'

The Last Beat of My Heart. This is an album track from the Peepshow album which was used by White Wolf to illustrate the end of a Vampire's quest for Golconda. A love song 

This changes depending on mood....

3 favs that I always come back to:

Master of Puppets - Metallica

Time - Pink Floyd

Crazy - Seal

3 that I'm listening to alot recently:

Driver's Seat - Sniff N' the Tears 

Save Your Tears - The Weekend

The Trooper - Iron Maiden