Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

1 minute ago, csyphrett said:

this is straight out of the first CSI. I wonder how they connected him to the crime unless the SUV was his SUV that he left in the neighborhood

CES

It was his wife's red SUV. Police have said that they've found DNA at the scene that matches the suspect, and they've found articles of clothing that were purported to have been worn during the crime with blood spatters on the shoes. Updated article from NYT below (should be unlocked for non-subscribers):

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/08/us/las-vegas-reporter-german-telles-dna.html?unlocked_article_code=kSv3OCAzN8cq4AJ87-NVqgqr_DWOQxs7aJEnBu82sy1vOvnlJ_IROnjYTbCFK0ssHA4VTVSFMIK7kl-MJdcxbBCQ6KwbVR6RFIm0bA4X-CTgkOvkWQIYzMEJbFRZrz_eUEkMzfyAAZnN_Dg51SiGBecEIuwvkvqEtqsaKxrRYGJpLF3G_89SRCZnXtqgPjAyjtlV96KqU1CpJOqYbEwp09cqFYSXqMjg-BB17B60IVTtM9vnBRXbB3Y2nykELA7DD_IjAgWot3Pb_OFLZCOWTNM2Evj5VyljVPpwNZpOcTyOw-87sBkGAL-nos3Ze0YI92zwNej1epDLAgLVOgIi7_qBNYXNEjf5i6I&smid=share-url

7 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

It was his wife's red SUV. Police have said that they've found DNA at the scene that matches the suspect, and they've found articles of clothing that were purported to have been worn during the crime with blood spatters on the shoes. Updated article from NYT below (should be unlocked for non-subscribers):

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/09/08/us/las-vegas-reporter-german-telles-dna.html?unlocked_article_code=kSv3OCAzN8cq4AJ87-NVqgqr_DWOQxs7aJEnBu82sy1vOvnlJ_IROnjYTbCFK0ssHA4VTVSFMIK7kl-MJdcxbBCQ6KwbVR6RFIm0bA4X-CTgkOvkWQIYzMEJbFRZrz_eUEkMzfyAAZnN_Dg51SiGBecEIuwvkvqEtqsaKxrRYGJpLF3G_89SRCZnXtqgPjAyjtlV96KqU1CpJOqYbEwp09cqFYSXqMjg-BB17B60IVTtM9vnBRXbB3Y2nykELA7DD_IjAgWot3Pb_OFLZCOWTNM2Evj5VyljVPpwNZpOcTyOw-87sBkGAL-nos3Ze0YI92zwNej1epDLAgLVOgIi7_qBNYXNEjf5i6I&smid=share-url

Thanks Ternaugh. I can't believe he thought that was a good idea

CES

The details in the NYT story are kind of macabre...they sound like bad TV writing.  

Story says Mr. German had made a freedom of information request for emails, planning a follow-on.  I rather suspect that they'll come out now, supporting his initial charges (that Telles created a toxic workplace, harassment, improper contact, we know this drill.)  The evidence sounds as solid as a CSI show, as csyphrett said.

2 hours ago, unclevlad said:

The details in the NYT story are kind of macabre...they sound like bad TV writing.  

Story says Mr. German had made a freedom of information request for emails, planning a follow-on.  I rather suspect that they'll come out now, supporting his initial charges (that Telles created a toxic workplace, harassment, improper contact, we know this drill.)  The evidence sounds as solid as a CSI show, as csyphrett said.

I certainly agree that it sounds like a plot for the CSI TV show. Some of Mr. German's investigative stories have already come out in the Las Vegas Review-Journal, and I'm certain that other reporters there will continue his work.

Telles is being held without bail until his next court appearance on Tuesday. According to the article below, police released the arrest warrant on Thursday, which stated "Telles’ DNA was consistent with DNA found under German’s fingernails."

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/homicides/county-official-will-be-held-without-bail-in-reporters-killing-judge-rules-2636275/?itm_source=parsely-api

2 hours ago, Cancer said:

Most of the plastic in the North Pacific "garbage patch" is from the fishing industry

These are the large pieces (5 cm and up in size).  (Link is to an article in Nature)

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

That can't be right. We were told it was all drinking straws.

Apparently, fishermen are very, very thirsty.

On 9/3/2022 at 7:28 AM, Starlord said:

I didn't read the article but my first thought was,  "How did they get that number?"  Do you really keep counting after, say, 2 or 3000?

Bee stingers remain in the wound after the initial sting, along with the venom sac which keeps reflexively pumping in venom for several seconds. They have to be removed individually, so they can be counted. And they're barbed, so pulling them out is as painful as when they went in.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Fossil Australian "demon ducks" and the reason they went extinct

(From Science News.  I link it here because, well, a lot of people GMing RPGs could make use of Australian Demon Ducks.)

Except they were vegetarians. (I suppose something in Australia must have eaten plants.) You'd be better served using a predatory species like the Phorusrhacos, aka "terror bird." Comparing some species's size:

size-comparison-of-three-of-the-largest-

31 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Except they were vegetarians. (I suppose something in Australia must have eaten plants.) You'd be better served using a predatory species like the Phorusrhacos, aka "terror bird." Comparing some species's size:

size-comparison-of-three-of-the-largest-

I knew about the terror birds, but you have to agree that the phrase "Australian demon ducks" has a certain comic book resonance to it.

======================== (merged) ==============

Progress towards a malaria vaccine  (again, a Nature article)