World Creation Superdraft 7: July 2023

14 hours ago, Pariah said:

Imagine a stone. Cleve that stone exactly in a half. Then take one of the two halves, and cleave it. Continue until you reach the smallest, perfect grain of sand.

Of such is the Chimney World made.

Secondary Domain: Sand

I am reminded: William Blake had something to say about sand...

To see a World in a Grain of Sand

And Heaven in a Wild Flower,

Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand

And Eternity in an hour.

--Auguries of Innocence

From the right perspective, small things can be very large.

Dean Shomshak

The God of Small Things has established that the world includes rocks, so I use rocks to explain Etterskell's next domain.

What is a rock made of? It may not be a homogeneous thing. Look closely enough, and you will see it is made of smaller parts: crystals of different minerals, or grains of clay or other sediment. The whole is made of parts, into which it may be divided.

All things in the world that Etterskell broke are made of such physically separable parts -- unless a God specifically acts to make them whole and indivisible in themselves. And those parts in turn can be divided into smaller parts. If there is a bottom, some irreducible quantum of matter, only the God of Small Things can say.

Living things, too, have parts. Even minds have parts: memories, passions, temperaments and other aspects of identity and character. People are made of bodies, minds and souls. Societies are made of individuals.

But there are other ways to divide an entity. A rock has a shape, a color or colors, a weight, a texture, and other properties.

Thus does the breakage of the Great Oops pervade the Sharded World.

Secondary Domain: Parts and Wholes

Very abstract, I know, but laying the basis for later picks. Because all parts are separable, if you know the way to split them off, and all parts can be reassembled into other wholes, if you know how to force them back together.

The full implications of this csan only be explained once other Gods have contributed more details to the World.

Dean Shomshak

I didn't see anyone take oceans or rivers? Did I miss it?

Secondary Domain: Water

As the world broke, the ocean was no more. Fitz, god of bastards, saw the waters tumble into droplets in the elemental chaos, and would not have them forgotten.

He spoke to them, of the new world. He spoke of the gifts of intelligence and ambition and everything else he had seen.

And the fatherless waters answered.

They seeped in through the cracks of the chimneyworlds, and as all bastards must ventured on their own.

They honored the edict of Multiplicity. The old world had contiguous oceans, but this world received rivers.

Living rivers.

Thinking rivers.

They did not hold to channels. They did not respect the logic of flowing downhill. They flowed where they chose. Some were a thousand miles long and took years to pass through. Some were mere creeks bartering with farmers. Some were murderous, crashing as flash floods through towns. Others loved commerce and took contracts as canals. "Lake" is a mean word for a fat lazy river with no noticeable flow.

Tldr, rivers are alive, they don't flow into an ocean because there isn't one, and they flow where they wish.

Death Tribble, I took this as a secondary domain so I could stipulate the nature of water, removing oceans. If you need me to spend my sentient life on them too, that is acceptable.

Edited by Sociotard

8 hours ago, Sociotard said:

Death Tribble, I took this as a secondary domain so I could stipulate the nature of water, removing oceans. If you need me to spend my sentient life on them too, that is acceptable.

I'll think on this. You did not miss water or rivers or oceans etc being picked.

I do think that you needed to pick Water as a domain before you could specify that the rivers are alive,

I'll give you a decision after the weekend.

Time for some flavour text.

On the nature of Crax and his relationship to the other Gods.

Crax came after some of the other Gods and so there are claims that Mister Rancor is his father for hate can lead to murder. And although murder can lead to hate, you have to have hate before you can have murder which is the argument used to suggest that Mister Rancor is Crax's father. Similarly Ceass the goddess of Strife is older than Crax as again Strife can lead to murder but you have to have strife before murder. There are thus suggestions that Mister Rancor fathered both Ceass and Crax. Or that he fathered Ceass and she give birth to Crax. So either Ceass is Crax's mother or his older sister. Crax's doctrines indeed venerate both Mister Rancor and Ceass but do not specify the exact relationship. Some say that this is the work of Masque.

It is unclear what role Masque and Crax have with each other for indeed intrigue can lead to murder and vice versa. Some say that this is to spite both Aziza and her Truth and Alitheon and Learning although whether Masque or Crax is responsible for this is hard to say.

Crax is on friendly terms with Nagus Starling as Greed, commerce and profit can lead to murder which pleases the former no end.

There are two gods that Crax does not like or indeed hates which gives theologians evidence that Mister Rancor is his daddy or indeed is on friendly terms with him. Brightbringer and Clarkent Kal are those that worship Crax dare not mention as the wrath of the god is fiercesome. Hope does not lead to murder or and resilience can thwart it while righteousness and justice oppose evil and murder. There is an epic work that describes Crax attempting to kill Hope but failing in one version due to the resilience of the goddess and the goddess being saved by the god of righteousness in another. While Crax will resort to all sorts of foul schemes to kill Nadiya, the sight of Clarkent Kal unhinges him to the extent he will break off from what he is doing to fight the god of righteousness. There is one point of agreement between the creeds of gods of evil and of righteousness, Crax and Clarkent Kal hated each other on first sight. Indeed Crax does need to be asked by Mister Rancor or Ceass for aid if either are opposing Nadiya Brightbringer or Clarkent Kal, he joins right in. Unless of course either of his elders have asked that he does not get involved.

If another god asked for assistance against his enemies Crax would be cautious if not outright suspicious. He is more likely to believe Masque or Nagus Starling but the chance to thwart Hope and Righteousness can blind him to another's agenda.

Crax is wary of Thoal Anni'in for fire can aid but also thwart evil and murder.

Crax has no time for Truth or reflection but both can lead to evil and murder and also away from it.

Illumination however can bring light onto a deed as dark as murder which pits Alitheon's followers against Crax.

Crax should be friendlier with Oeneus as intoxicants and sex are perfect recipes for evil and murder but something makes Crax neutral towards him. There is at least one piece of work that claims that this is due to Oeneus being Crax's father. Where this leaves the God of Bastards and Neglect is anyone's guess as Crax has little if anything to do or say about him.

Crax has little to do with Strangecharm and Etterskell as they do not seem to aid or oppose him in any way.

NOTE: I have deliberately kept this vague as we are only just beginning and various sects can believe what they want it just might not be right.

I do like the idea of an Axis of Evil with Mister Rancor, Ceass and Crax opposing Nadiya and Clarkent Kal but whether Rancor and Ceass are indeed related to Crax in any way shape of form is left up to their owners. I have left it as an option.

Both Hermit and csyphrett have set themselves against Psybolt and myself with their choices so I do hope that you are content with Crax's opposition.

If indeed Enforcer84 wants to set Strife against Hope which is what I gathered from the initial selection, I can backpedal so you and Hermit can have room to breathe.

Oh and Sociotard ?

Does your god have a name ?

Now for Crax to do something utterly appalling.

They all felt it. There was no way you could disguise something of this magnitude from one god let alone all of them. Arriving at differing points it was all the same. The ground was dead and lifeless, the skies stale and still, the water fetid and dirty, no vegetation grew, no animals of any kind moved, all life extinguished. One source of life in the exact centre to which all the gods gravitated. Here they found Crax who laughed as he saw them approach. He rose, spread forth his arms and spoke 'Behold ! Look upon my works ye mighty and rejoice !'

'Now what are you going to do about it ?'

So here is your challenge. Crax has murdered an entire continent. All the sentient life has perished, the vegetation withered and died, the ground corrupted so that nothing can come from it and the water stagnated. What do the Gods do, if anything ?

There is no time travel so the effect cannot be reversed.

You can choose to do something elsewhere on the Cylinder to compensate for this or make the races forget about what happened, it is up to you. And you don't have to do something immediately.

I will award bonus selections for creativity and this time if anyone has a specific option they would like such as another geography or sentient life say so and if I am impressed by your contribution you will get it. Otherwise random selections for your bonuses.

I can see Hermit and csyphrett trying to do something but as Sociotard created living rivers and I have just snuffed at least one out, it puts his god on a collision course with mine.

I got the idea from the Malazan Book of the Fallen where High King Kallor killed an entire continent before a confrontation with three gods.

3 hours ago, death tribble said:

Oh and Sociotard ?

Does your god have a name ?

13 hours ago, Sociotard said:

As the world broke, the ocean was no more. Fitz, god of bastards, saw the waters tumble into droplets in the elemental chaos, and would not have them forgotten.

Looks like Fitz to me.

=== (merged) ===

So DT, about the murder of a continent: where does this fit into the creation game?  Is this an Interference, or is it merely a provocation to get others to spend their picks to counter senseless mayhem?

Edited by Cancer

As preface for one of Its secondary domains, Thoal-Anni'in proclaims, Fire purifies.

Fire certainly consumes, and when there is no fuel left to consume, the fire goes out.  But until all of Creation is empty and dead and all that the gods have wrought has come to nothing, the potential for Fire, like the potential for Life, cannot be refuted.  Fire breaks out whenever and wherever conditions allow, and extinguishing one fire in no way diminishes the divine Fire which played so great a role in the Creation.

Fire certainly can destroy, and that which is destroyed cannot, as Crax has so proudly proclaimed, be undestroyed.  But here, Thoal-Anni'in nods to Its younger sister the Brightbringer, and Its coeval sibling Alitheon.  That which has been destroyed and defiled can be cleansed, and with wisdom and knowledge and due care and nurture, it can recreated.  That which has been maimed can be healed, just as a fire can be built back up, and burn brighter than before.

Therefore, as Its first secondary domain, Thoal-Anni'in is the unquenchable source of Purification and Healing.

4 hours ago, death tribble said:

NOTE: I have deliberately kept this vague as we are only just beginning and various sects can believe what they want it just might not be right.

I do like the idea of an Axis of Evil with Mister Rancor, Ceass and Crax opposing Nadiya and Clarkent Kal but whether Rancor and Ceass are indeed related to Crax in any way shape of form is left up to their owners. I have left it as an option.

Both Hermit and csyphrett have set themselves against Psybolt and myself with their choices so I do hope that you are content with Crax's opposition.

If indeed Enforcer84 wants to set Strife against Hope which is what I gathered from the initial selection, I can backpedal so you and Hermit can have room to breathe.

I'm fine with any relationship DT has in mind for Rancor.  Having him be a father to Crax makes perfect sense.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Looks like Fitz to me.

=== (merged) ===

So DT, about the murder of a continent: where does this fit into the creation game?  Is this an Interference, or is it merely a provocation to get others to spend their picks to counter senseless mayhem?

IMO As it costs one of us a pick to counter it's only fair if it costs DT his interference pick