What Fantasy/Sci-Fi book have you just finished? Please rate it...

Bozimus

I haven't finished it yet but I'm reading Jack Vance's dying earth stories.  They are oddly disjointed and almost mythical rather than what we currently think of as fantasy writing.  Almost nothing is explained, its just assumed and you kind of follow along picking things up as you go.  The fire-and=forget spell system is a really obvious, neon sign glowing D&D influence.

17 hours ago, Logan.1179 said:

Mythos, The Greek Myths Retold, by Stephen Fry. Yes, that Stephen Fry. The Audiobook can be found on YouTube read by the man himself. This was clearly a passion project for him and it shows. The audiobook is wonderful.

Hmm, as I am getting close to end of current audiobook I am listening too (the Damian Vesik series, I am on book 6, picked up in 2 3 book sets), I may have to pick this up.

• 3 weeks later...

Marked Cards edited by George R R Martin. The second of the Card Sharks trilogy, the characters from the first book are still at work but now Gregg Hartman is trying to stop them. Unfortunately certain people want more than bringing the Sharks into the light. They want blood. Features the return of the Jumpers.

6 hours ago, death tribble said:

Marked Cards edited by George R R Martin. The second of the Card Sharks trilogy, the characters from the first book are still at work but now Gregg Hartman is trying to stop them. Unfortunately certain people want more than bringing the Sharks into the light. They want blood. Features the return of the Jumpers.

You are further along with "Wild Cards" than I am. Last one I read was "Dealer's Choice", the last piece of The Rox Triad.

Just read the first three books of "The Sand Wars" by Charles Ingrid. (In one volume) . I.'d put them in the "not bad" catergory. Not the best military s f i've read. Just started  "The Other Side Of Dawn" by John Marsden, the final book in the "Tomorrow, When The War Began" series.

14 hours ago, death tribble said:

Bound by Benedict Jacka. 

Alex Verus starts his work as Morden's aide and also has to work for his old master Richard neither of whom he wants anything to do with. The trap is set and watch the mice run. I finished the book after getting it from friends on Saturday. And a new one is available on Monday

i have been waiting to see how Verus gets out of the mess with his apprentice basically screwed up. It's obvious now what Richard's power is, and why he covered it up.

CES 

Finished Jirel of Joiry, another classic fantasy from the dawn of the genre.  Its very trippy stuff, lots of atmospheric, odd descriptions and nightmarish locations, psychological struggles, battles of will power and so on.  Not so much fighting with swords as Ego battles.  Pretty good, although I think if it weren't the first major female fantasy character, probably wouldn't be as praised or known.

On 6/4/2018 at 8:51 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I haven't finished it yet but I'm reading Jack Vance's dying earth stories.  They are oddly disjointed and almost mythical rather than what we currently think of as fantasy writing.  Almost nothing is explained, its just assumed and you kind of follow along picking things up as you go.  The fire-and=forget spell system is a really obvious, neon sign glowing D&D influence.

I read the first one. It was interesting and as a 39-year gamer, satisfying in a "nerdarcheological" sense. But... I decided not to pick up the second one. 

Jirel's stories were kind of groundbreaking in the sense of being the first in a lot of ways, such as examinations of alternate dimensions and the psychological trauma that another world could inflict, but they aren't very powerful or great as just stories.  But Jack Vance just didn't stick with me, I have tried 3 times to read the Dying Earth stories and they are a bit of a slog.  Too many books, too little time.  My patience with books wanes over the years.

• 1 month later...

Wild Cards: The Black Trump last of the Card Shark trilogy. Various of the characters race against time to find and destroy the Black Trump which will kill all the Aces and the Jokers. Things don't turn out that way as the virus will now kill everyone. The end of the trilogy also marks the end of some of the characters who had been in the books previously or had been referenced peripherally. These include Belew, Churchill and Senator Hartmann. Sad in a way but it clears the decks for new characters.

But Croyd is still around.

9 hours ago, death tribble said:

Wild Cards: The Black Trump last of the Card Shark trilogy. Various of the characters race against time to find and destroy the Black Trump which will kill all the Aces and the Jokers. Things don't turn out that way as the virus will now kill everyone. The end of the trilogy also marks the end of some of the characters who had been in the books previously or had been referenced peripherally. These include Belew, Churchill and Senator Hartmann. Sad in a way but it clears the decks for new characters.

But Croyd is still around.

I'm a big fan of Captain Trips.

On 7/8/2018 at 10:09 AM, Christopher R Taylor said:

Finished Jirel of Joiry, another classic fantasy from the dawn of the genre.  Its very trippy stuff, lots of atmospheric, odd descriptions and nightmarish locations, psychological struggles, battles of will power and so on.  Not so much fighting with swords as Ego battles.  Pretty good, although I think if it weren't the first major female fantasy character, probably wouldn't be as praised or known.

I always wished there had been more Jirel stories.