Early "What do you want to see?" for Teen Champions

Kristopher

Re: Early "What do you want to see?" for Teen Champions

Interesting idea' date=' but not [i']everyone[/i] has that kind of thing as a teen. Some people just go home after school.

Quite true. There was no anime club in my high school. And nobody caired if I joined anything, eather. Nobody forced me into any clubs, and quite frankly, I would proably of rebelled if thay tried.

Oh, forget that...I did join Junior Achevment for one semesor. We made first aid kits to sell. Beyond that, there was nothing.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But this setting is more exciting than our lives. I guarantee that none of your Champions (adult) characters come home after work and watch the Cubs game in their underwear either. Heroes, even Teenage ones, are more dynamic and involved in the world around them than real people are.

Kudos to your idea Sociotard!!

Another cartoon worth looking at is Xiaolin Showdown, which has four martial artists in their early teens searching the world for mystic artifacts. Their primary opposition during the first season was a teen gadgeteer (aided by a permanently desolid sorceress.)

But this setting is more exciting than our lives. I guarantee that none of your Champions (adult) characters come home after work and watch the Cubs game in their underwear either. Heroes, even Teenage ones, are more dynamic and involved in the world around them than real people are.

Actually, one of my Champions characters did spend his off-time in his rooms in the base's attic watching TV and reading. No social life.

Kudos to your idea Sociotard!!

Well they might. As long as they were wearing the underwear AND pants. With the underwear on the outside. ;)

Oh, and the Extracurricular Activity might not be structured or social. It just has to demand time and induce stress. Following your example of the kid who liked Anime, but didn't have a club in his school, The character, faced with the Anime Hobbiest limitation would make it a matter of pride to be up on all the latest material, probably spending 3 or 4 hours a day watching it, reading newspots about it, etc. If he doesn't manage to allot enough time, the GM has the NPC from the other school district show up and grind his nose in how far behind the character has gotten.

Most kids have two sets of watched to deal with:

Watched: Parents

Watched: Teachers

No joke either one, especially the teachers. A kid shows up to school with strange bruises or injuries on a regular basis is going to get a call from the teachers to the proper authorities. A kid who goes missing from school more than the norm is also going to end up in trouble as well.

Of course this is all Iron Age. In the Golden Age and the Silver Age that never seemed to be an issue for various reasons. And for that matter, if it's a school for superheroes, they tend to be a bit more understanding on that point.

Even more important: Watched: classmates.

There's very little more important to the average teenager than their status within the herd. Granted, most PCs aren't going to be average teenagers by definition, but you can't tell me that they aren't going to be affected by peer pressure.

On the upside, this sort of thing can be spun into numerous side-stories. On the downside, it burns a PCs spare time doing mundane things to keep up appearances, maintain relationships and do extracurricular activities. (which might be entertaining in and of themselves, properly run)

$0.02

The reason I didn't have Watched: Classmates is that technically speaking, while protagonists are watched by their classmates, they don't properly fall into the category of Watched.

Parents and teachers set up codes of conduct for students to follow, and they do have the authority to cause trouble for the kids if they choose to exert their authority. Classmates do not.

The reason I didn't have Watched: Classmates is that technically speaking, while protagonists are watched by their classmates, they don't properly fall into the category of Watched.

Parents and teachers set up codes of conduct for students to follow, and they do have the authority to cause trouble for the kids if they choose to exert their authority. Classmates do not.

As someone who has experienced school, I can say with some assurance that classmates, especially the wrong kind, do indeed cause problems. Social cliques and ostracism are very potent weapons that can ruin a teenager's life based even on rumor.

the problems faced by the Scooby Gang in the early seasons of B:TVS is an excellent example. And finally, as an example of how this peer pressure can be overcome -- at the end, the student body embraced Buffy and even fought at her side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I didn't read this whole topic so please forgive me if this has been mentioned somewhere before. I'd like to see some information on some other "super-kid" program(s). I'd imagine a lot of kids might manifest powers in their teens and run away from home [Rogue from X-men movies]. What happens to these kids who don't make it into Ravenswood?

I'm thinking about a secret VIPER program designed to instill VIPER ideals into a future generation of the Dragon Branch [Hellions]. It doesn't need to be VIPER though. It could be some nutty professor who uses super-kids to steal for him [Professor Twist]. Maybe some expansion of the New Purple Gang with more super powered teens, or a gang of its own full of super-kids. I'm sure PSI is out looking for the psionic runaways. A few different examples would be good to see. Maybe a government program or two.

It all doesn't need to be bad either. An ex-superhero who can be a patron for a teen PC team would be good to see as well. A section discussing how some of the current CU heroes are dealing with the teen heroes popping up would be interesting as well. Maybe Nighthawk has taken someone under his wing, or Defender is corresponding with Tek Lad about some super-science. Anything which can add flavor to both the genre and the CU is good in my opinion.

I'm seeing this book as being like Galactic Champions as a combination sub-genre Champions book [information on how to play teen heroes], heroes book [information on Ravenswood and it's members], and enemies book [things I mentioned above. Teen heroes need a decent supply of teen villains to fight]. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I'm seeing this book as being like Galactic Champions as a combination sub-genre Champions book [information on how to play teen heroes]' date=' heroes book [information on Ravenswood and it's members'], and enemies book [things I mentioned above. Teen heroes need a decent supply of teen villains to fight]. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Yeah, that's a good way of looking at it. I think it'll probably have more rules info... I need to sit down with it and make sure these ideas are worthwhile, but there're a couple things I want to play with...

Archetypes will be presented differently -- i.e.: jock, skater, burn-out, etc. will be the archetypes -- then recommended standard archetypes will branch from there -- i.e.: jock as brick, jock as energy blaster, jock as martial artist, jock as weapon master (i don't know, maybe he throws trick basketballs or something ;)) -- so this might require more space.

Disadvantages will be "redefined" -- maybe further defined and explored is a better way of putting it -- something like that. Hunted: Clique (Watching), for instance. Also, Social Limitation: Under 16, and Social Limitation: Under 18. Rivalries has a lot of potential, I think, in an enclosed environment like a high school. In other words, many Disadvantages not so appropriate to regular Champs can be made relevant in the melodramatic world of teenagers. DNPCs also warrant discussion... anyway tons of stuff here to discuss.

Also in need of space is proper purchase of skills -- teenagers, unless playing Curve-Breaker, the Boy Genius, shouldn't have as many skills as normal (at least, normal for published Champions characters) -- so there'll be some recommended limits or something. Also need to address how to build powers with flaws, how to have fun with limited powers, and recommendations for how to model getting better with powers vis-a-vis spending experience points.

Also need a general overview of parent/child relationship possibilities -- everything from superhero/villain for parent, to nosy parents, to negiligent parents, to abusive parents -- as well as a quick rundown of the law and minors. Maybe get into some gray areas, if I think there's potential for plot seeds -- for instance can Curve-Breaker, the Boy Genius apply for adulthood, and why not? Isn't he smart enough to go it alone? Is a character with a long-life, but who's slow-to-mature an adult at 18? Why not? More thematic elements to Teen Champions too -- more soap opera stuff -- so that'll need space.

There's other stuff -- just kind of throwing things out there -- but I do think there's going to be more sub-genre information than Galactic Champions.

As for heroes and villains, and settings.

I've got the school situation broken down into four possibilities, each of which will be explored with heroes/villains and settings. Private school with secret superhuman program (Ravenswood). Private school solely for superhumans (Generation Viper). Public school kids (some Millennium City High School, unnamed as of yet). These three will be located in Millennium City, and have "interschool" rivalries -- public school kids don't like spoiled kids at Ravenswood, Ravenswood/Generation Viper have New Mutants/Hellions relationship, etc. The fourth possibility is kids on the run -- this will be covered with NOVA (from Champions Universe). General information and specific details will be provided for each setting, so a GM can run his own Teen Champions game in the setting. (Even the Generation Viper stuff would make for a good campaign setting, I think -- evil or deluded parents send good kid to bad school, and the good kids band together to make best of terrible situation.) At least one or two maps of facilities -- Ravenswood will definitely be mapped out -- we'll see about the rest.

It'll probably be a little heavy on heroes for a Champions product. Normally I'm against that, but I think that'll be all right for this -- teen heroes always ended up in conflict with adults, including superheroes, because of either fanaticism, they're duped by the villain, or they're on the run like the NOVA team. Also the "boy hostage" scenario, and teen heroes often end up handing off the big stuff to adults. So, anyway, I think a GM of a more standard Champs campaign can find a use for superhero NPCs. (And teen hero PCs need rivals more than standard heroes, I think -- more likely to let jealousy, envy, hurt feelings, whatever stand in the way of common sense.)

As for other villains... It'll have an overview of villain archetypes -- born evil, exploitive adults, victim of environment, too much power for too little maturity, rebel without a cause, etc. Each of these will have (at least one) corresponding villain. For those with DEMON, one will have been conceived in Boston in 1986 (hint, hint...). The Teen Dream, the perfect girl cum popstar. Generation Viper, mentioned above. Definitely some evil drug dealer guy. Plus it'll have notes on how to use published villains with Teen Champions campaigns -- specific plot seeds involving youth type stuff.

So anyway... Fifteen or so superheroes. Twenty - thirty villains. Something like that.

I've actually just started running my "Hero High" campaign and am (for obvious reasons) really looking forward to Teen Champions. What I'd like to see:

#1: Plot Ideas! Many generic superhero plots simply don't work for kid heroes. I liked how the Millennium City sourcebook had story ideas associated with the various elements (locations, NPCs, etc.) of Millennium City and would like to see something similar with TC. Teen heroes are also more subplot-prone (see "angst") and I'd like to see some suggestions along these lines.

#2: Antagonists. Teen heroes are not adult heroes and have different antagonists. The two archetypes that occur to me immediately are "teen villains" and "the adult who Doesn't Get It."

#3: Teen Champions in Different Time Periods. In the '70s, teen heroes were in their hayday. In the '80s, they got grim-n-gritty. Now, the future's looking brighter again, but (as with adult heroes) a more realistic slant.

#4: Teen Heroes at Different Power Levels: Teen Heroes aren't generally going to be built on the same point totals as their adult counterparts. (In fact, im my campaign, they're built on an 80-point base.) Suggestions for scaling campaigns for different power levels would be helpful.

#5: Ravenwood Academy Source Book. Ravenwood (or is it Ravenswood?) probably doesn't merit an entire sourcebook of its own, but a chapter or two on the CU's premiere teen hero setting would be helpful... and is probably inevitable.

#6: Teen Heroes and the World: Teens are subject to a number of limitations and protections that do not apply to adults. Steve Long always presents super-related legal issues in an interesting and imaginitive way and I'l like to see his take on superteens and the law. Also, I'd like to see info on how teen heroes are viewed by PRIMUS, DOSPA, UNTIL, DoJ, and the other major heroes of the CU.

Just my six cents.

It would have to be a Detroit native cape (like Shadowboxer) or a super-charismatic character' date=' but I could easily see that. Talk about inviting disaster, too![/quote']

I believe Vanguard, who was the premier superhero of the CU, died during the Battle of Detroit so it wouldn't be out of line to name the school Vanguard High School.

...#4: Teen Heroes at Different Power Levels: Teen Heroes aren't generally going to be built on the same point totals as their adult counterparts. (In fact' date=' im my campaign, they're built on an 80-point base.) Suggestions for scaling campaigns for different power levels would be helpful....[/quote']

How many points did you allow for Disads?