Heroic (or Villainous) Themed Duos

winterhawk

One of my old GMs had a knack with coming up with 'themed' duos, usually based on a common phrase. Some examples:

Needle & Thread: Two low level villains that used flechette and monofilament weaponry, respectively.

Mover & Shaker: Speedster/Vibrational EBer

Sturm & Drang: Weather Manipulator/Brick

and my personal fave: El Gallo & El Toro: A Capoera MA and a Brick, which translates into Cock & Bull :)

4th Edition Mutant File also featured Null & Void. Anyone have any other duos they'd like to share?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gauntlet & Glove: They were a husband and wife team (a brick and a mentalist), and parents to one of my PCs a few years ago.

Smoke & Mirror: In the VCU ; some kinda criminal team. They were never involved in any of my characters' plots (that I know of), so I don't know much about them.

Light & Dark: Less a team than two themed, anthropormorphized "entities," also from the VCU.

Surely someone out there has a duo called Shock and Awe!

El Gallo and El Toro, though... that's great. :D

Crash and Burn- two 250 point low level villains, Burn is the brains and utilizes a self-built pyro system and protective suit, while Crash is meta. Best friends from young age, Crash always protected Burn and when his powers manifested, Burn devised a way to empower himself so they could get rich together.

Maestro & Symphony (A Mentalist and Sonic projector)

Eternity & Requiem (A goth duo; Time manipulator and an Empath)

Mister & Misses (A gag duo; He was a top hat and tails wearing martial artist who used a cane in combat, and she was a luck/probability manipulator and CV killer - Drained DEX only for impacting CV).

(They fight crime!)

My personal faves are from Champions of the North: a pair of eco-terrorists, one a brick with additional elemental ice powers, the other a mind-controlling mentalist. Names: Rime and Reason.

Panda and Racoon from Classic Enemies were fun - slightly silly origins, but they worked for lighter-hearted games. I ended up teaming them with the Fox of Crime from the same book. They proved to be a surprisingly effective team, as long as their primary objective was to get the loot/ mock the heroes and then split.

The names of the Greek demigods of fear, Phobos and Deimos, were used for half-demonic villains who could project fear into their victims in the Enemies: Villainy Unbound collection.

I recall a couple of minor Marvel villains calling themselves Hammer and Anvil who gained super-strength when each wore one end of an alien chain-like device at their wrist (kind of a suped-up version of "The Defiant Ones"). Luke Cage also used to have trouble with a brother team out for revenge against him, Stilletto (who used wrist flechette launchers) and Discus (who threw razor-edged or explosive discs).

There are a few

I had two teenaged runaways who were world class teleporters (and ED movers as it turns out) in my campaign whos "street names" were Jump (who was the most powerful teleporter in our universe) and Slide (a teleporter who could see and move anywhere along a continuous surface, like a road, wire, machine, or wall). The ExtraDimensional SV, Dr. Appocolypse, was always chasing these two. His minions were always tearing things up looking for them. They of course, had left. The heroes of course showed up to contain them.

Gear and Hex were brother and sister savants in their respective technical and magical fields. This mis-mashed group of PCs worked well together (until the players broke up) They both had an "advantage" of increased DEX, EGO, SPD, INT, and most notably REC if they were within proximity of each other (10" -1/4).

Originally posted by Siberian Tiger

Okay so I can't count and there's three of them but how about Paper, Scissors and Stone - based on the kid's game.

Paper - had an entangle

Scissors - master of blades

Stone - a brick

Yeah...and let's see...Paper has a Vuln to Scissors' attacks, Scissors has a Vuln to Stone's attacks, Stone has a Vuln to Paper's attacks...make them really powerful, and the PC's have to figure out a way to have them attack each other in order to win. :D

Hammer and Sickle

A brother and sister pair of mutants (children of Ivan, grandchildren of General Mayhem) who were the last recruits into the Supreme Soviet prior to the fall of the Wall. Hammer was a stereotypical very strong brick, Sickle a less strong brick with Karate/Kobojutsu skills and armed with the ubiquitous weapon.

---

Brains and Muscles

Two members of a somewhere-in-the-middle (neither villainous nor heroic) mutant group c.f. the Morlocks living in tunnels beneath NYC. Brains was a hydrocephalic genius (wasted body, massive psionic abilities) whilst Muscles was a slow-witted brick. Effective as a team because Muscles did all the legwork whilst Brains stayed at home; Muscles benefitted from a Mind Link with Brains and the gift of Mental DEF UBO.

I knew I'd remember more if I hung around this thread long enough.

Mind & Matter

How could I forget Ebenezer & Florence (Eb & Flo); Two elderly NPC millitants (Think of Michael Gross & Reba MacIntyre from "Tremors", only older).

I also seem to remember Power & Glory, but I can't remember their powers or very much about them for that matter.

Originally posted by ThothAmon

Brains and Muscles

Two members of a somewhere-in-the-middle (neither villainous nor heroic) mutant group c.f. the Morlocks living in tunnels beneath NYC. Brains was a hydrocephalic genius (wasted body, massive psionic abilities) whilst Muscles was a slow-witted brick. Effective as a team because Muscles did all the legwork whilst Brains stayed at home; Muscles benefitted from a Mind Link with Brains and the gift of Mental DEF UBO.

That's almost exactly the premise for a pair of characters from Scott Sigler's Dark Champions/Champions adventure pack, Shadows of the City: "Brains" and "Brawn," members of the human offshoot race called the Nocturnals. Fine book, too, and very usable for a regular Champions campaign.

here are some

Here are a few I have used as villains in past games, I won't go through what their powers are 'cause one of the pairs at least is in my current game

Null and Void, Cut and Run, The Lady and the Tiger, Hammer and Nail. My favorite which I just remembered and MUST bring back again is Death and Taxes.