The cranky thread

Hermit

Hmmm, lovely. Putting two and two together, the helicopter noisily and annoyingly hovering over campus seems to be the news camera chopper providing the telescopic video feed of the police investigating the human remains found in a trash bin.

Shine a laser pointer at it. ;)

My wife's job was just eliminated after 25 years. Every time I think we might be finding a smoother path... I feel like going somewhere and screaming F*** I think I will try to split some tough as Hell firewood, see if it relaxes me a little.

I have been laid off I think six times in my career, enough times to start losing count. It doesn't get any easier. Clean up the resume, start working your network, and above all remember that you are not your job.

My wife's job was just eliminated after 25 years. Every time I think we might be finding a smoother path... I feel like going somewhere and screaming F*** I think I will try to split some tough as Hell firewood, see if it relaxes me a little.

I feel you. I was recently laid off after my company was bought out. Now it looks like I might have to consider legal counsel because they seem to want to flake out on the severance that was promised. Toughest two weeks I've had in a long time.

They got almost 10k, hit for another 5 this AM, but it looks like I got that stopped.  Police report, Credit Union's Fraud department is on the case.

It will be interesting to see what turns up. 

I am likely to have a problem next time someone is going on and on about how "Hackers" are misunderstood good guys...

I have very little sympathy for predatory, parasitic thieves and other criminals.    

Unfortunately, the definition of "Hacker" has changed over time, and has different technical meanings than popular meanings.

For example, someone who gets paid by a company to intrusion-test the company IT security...Is a "Hacker".

Someone who works at a university testing a company's software, and sending the results to the company...Is a "Hacker". They may even get kick-backs from companies for this. Seriously. Certain companies have bounties for security errors in their software.

Someone who runs a script they downloaded off a website that scans for security holes and makes a bot-net out of unsecured computers, to scan the internet for accounts with passwords like *"passw0rd"...Is a "Hacker".

Someone who makes a program that makes a virtual puppy run around your computer screen...Is a "Hacker".

The term "Hacker" is pretty meaningless as misunderstood by the general public.

* Seriously, people. Why???

FTFY.

Here at the University, tbout the only ones the IT staff believe they have to be thought well of by are administrators. The faculty despise them, and the students come to despise them pretty quickly. We think a popular depiction of them goes in the right direction but is a little too charitable.

It's just as common the other way around. I've had to help my share of Teachers with computers. 

But you don't care so I'll not bother you with it.