The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

And here is today's TRUE tale of end user idiocy...

Klytus: Thank you for calling the [company name] Service Desk.

User: Yes, I'm having trouble saving a contract.

K: Ok, what kind of problem are you having?

U: Well, when I try to save it, I get an error: "Enter a start date that is previous to the end date". What does that mean?

K: ::blinks:: Um... could you check the Start Date and End Date on the contract for me, please?

U: Well, it says Start Date 8/1/2005 and the End Date is 1/31/2005.

K: Well, that would be your problem, then.

U: I'm sorry?

K: January comes before August, ma'am.

U: Yes, so?

K: ::lets it sink in::

U: Oh!

K: Have a nice day... *click* ::deep, long suffering sigh::

And here is today's TRUE tale of end user idiocy...

Klytus: Thank you for calling the [company name] Service Desk.

User: Yes, I'm having trouble saving a contract.

K: Ok, what kind of problem are you having?

U: Well, when I try to save it, I get an error: "Enter a start date that is previous to the end date". What does that mean?

K: ::blinks:: Um... could you check the Start Date and End Date on the contract for me, please?

U: Well, it says Start Date 8/1/2005 and the End Date is 1/31/2005.

K: Well, that would be your problem, then.

U: I'm sorry?

K: January comes before August, ma'am.

U: Yes, so?

K: ::lets it sink in::

U: Oh!

K: Have a nice day... *click* ::deep, long suffering sigh::

Try this one, Klytus. At least she was being ignorant.

Customer: I am overdrawn and I don't deserve to be.

Me: Well, let's take a look at that. I will print out all of your transactions and we'll go over them.

Customer: Okay

*Later that same afternoon*

Customer: I made all these transactions but this is totally bogus. I had money to cover them!

Me: Well, do you have your register with you?

Customer: My what?

Me: Check Register, where you write down all your transactions

Customer: I don't have one.

Me: Oh, you do this online then? Do you have Lotus or Quicken or Microsoft Money?

Customer: No.

Me: *pause* Well, then how do you know you had the money?

Customer: My receitpt from the ATM said I had $230!

Me:...that's negative $230.

Customer: It is? Oh, well it's still crap. You guys just wait until I have no money before you run my checks through.

Me: Do you look at your monthly statements?

Customer: No! Why do you keep asking me these questions?!?

Me: *internal monologue* To determine if you made a simple mistake or if you are dead from the neck up.

Me: I don't understand how you think this is the bank's fault since you have taken absolutely zero responsibility on this account. You don't balance it, you don't keep records of it. You spend money with your debit card KNOWING that you have checks out. How is this the bank's problem?

Customer: Look! Just -I can't afford all these fees! I'll close my account!

Me: It's looking to me like we'll close your account for you; but I'll go ahead and refund your all 17 of your overdraft fees. But this is a one time deal. Should you overdraw your account again, you are on your own.

and two months later we closed his account...

Enforcer...Klytus...

Thank you for being so kind...to people who seem not to always deserve it.

I'm not so great at balencing my check book...but then I never spend anything unless it's cash. And my ATM tells me how much I have left. I always figured keeping at least $1,000 in the bank would keep me safe for as little spending as I do. And so far, I've been right.

This will change of course when I have bills. But I do read all of my statements and keep track of all of my CDs. Of that I am not guilty!

Right, so gripe time.

Why must the air headed receptionist never ever ever shut up?

I’m sitting in the office today, I suppose you could say that it’s one of my breaks. One of my self imposed breaks if you know what I mean. I’ve steadily realized that being efficient when you are a temp is not necessarily a good idea. My day is interrupted for a very brief moment as I try to watch the first 30min of DS-9 at break, dreading the flood of soap opera watchers that will flock in at any minute. And of course like every other day, trying very hard to ignore our prattling receptionist who is in the process of telling me about her son, her ex, her divorce, her fiancé, how much she paid for shoes, what color they are painting their house, her salary, or a million other things that I would probably not ask nor receive from someone that I was not at least a very good acquaintance of. Of course it’s ok for her to talk through whatever I am doing, be it work, a show, or even reading. But heaven forbid I even microwave my lunch during her most wondrous day of our lives.

Always! Always always! Grrrrrr. I don't want to know for the 365th time how much money her fiance makes, or about her sons little stuffed animal, or how much sha payed for anything. I don't care. I just want to do my job.

ok, done now...I feel a little better.

To be fair' date=' I had a bank screw up a check I deposited. All they did was leave out a 5 when they keyed it in. Of course, the check was for $15,500, so imagine my surprise when I found my savings account shorted [i']fourteen grand.[/i]

And I like to think I am fair. You should see the Brain Deficet I work with over here. I spend almost as much time finding his boo boos and misentered transactions as I do helping customers.

I'll give you this Old Man, the bank is far easier on itself when it makes a mistake than it is with a cutomer when they make one :winkgrin:

Bank Error:

Bank: Oops, please accept our apologies.

Customer Error:

Bank: Apology accepted but we're still charging you for the OD.

And I like to think I am fair. You should see the Brain Deficet I work with over here. I spend almost as much time finding his boo boos and misentered transactions as I do helping customers.

I'll give you this Old Man, the bank is far easier on itself when it makes a mistake than it is with a cutomer when they make one :winkgrin:

Bank Error:

Bank: Oops, please accept our apologies.

Customer Error:

Bank: Apology accepted but we're still charging you for the OD.

Yeah. I've spent a fair amount of time in my life trying to convince banks that them charging me an overdraft fee when the check bounced due to their error is not acceptable. The stock response tends to be "Well, we're sorry we screwed up, but your account didn't have enough funds to cover that check, so you get charged an overdraft charge." It usually takes many repetitions of "Yes, but the only reason that I didn't have enough funds is because of your error" before it sinks in...

Fortunately I haven't had to deal with that in a while. :D

Any man who executes the will of The Man is, himself, The Man.

:D

Cool. That means everbody is the Man. Even women. There is something downright egalitarian about that.:thumbup:

Ooops my bad. I am far to optimistic by nature to even be in the Cranky Thread.

Stop glaring, Old Man, I'm leaving, I'm leaving.:D

Cool. That means everbody is the Man. Even women. There is something downright egalitarian about that.:thumbup:

Ooops my bad. I am far to optimistic by nature to even be in the Cranky Thread.

Stop glaring, Old Man, I'm leaving, I'm leaving.:D

But not everyone is The Lizard!

Buncha lesser beings...