The cranky thread

Hermit

Found out today that my mother was removed/disabled on the medical supply list as they thought someone else was dealing with it. Except we had no paperwork on it or any other sort of notification. So managed to order supplies and get my mother back on the list again.

Was supposed to have had an Amazon delivery yesterday but no knock at the door/window and no bell rang. Note through door saying it was with the neighbours. Checked with them but no luck. Ho hum.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I went to bed. Then I fell asleep, and dreamed that I was having trouble getting to sleep because of noises outside. Then I realized that it was a dream because a) I don't have a window over my bed and b) the construction work is on the other side of our building. So, I got super annoyed and decided to wake myself up. I tried turning on the light on my nightstand, which didn't work. Then all the stuff on my nightstand disappeared. Then I tried annoying my wife who was lying beside me into waking up (she wasn't, really, just in my dream, so it didn't work), then got out of bed and had some random doctor walk into my dream bedroom. So I grabbed him by the collar and yelled at him to wake me up. Which came out as a squeaky yell like the kind you do when you're half woken and your mind is waking up faster than your body . . . only I didn't, really. But it managed to finally wake me up.

Now I don't want to go back to sleep and dream that I can't sleep again.

Worse. Dream. Ever.

• 2 weeks later...

I destroyed two Kindle Fire tablets tonight. I put them on top of the car while I put the kids in and never remembered to take them off. I was able to recover the carcasses, and one of them is under Amazon's two year no questions asked warranty (it's a kid's model). The other one is a total loss. It'll be about $140 to replace/upgrade. 

On 12/27/2021 at 11:34 PM, Pariah said:

I destroyed two Kindle Fire tablets tonight. I put them on top of the car while I put the kids in and never remembered to take them off. I was able to recover the carcasses, and one of them is under Amazon's two year no questions asked warranty (it's a kid's model). The other one is a total loss. It'll be about $140 to replace/upgrade. 

Ouch, that hurts.  I had a couple of similar but less expensive occurrences after which I had to ban myself from ever putting anything on top of a car.  Sort of like how I previously had to ban myself from ever putting the car keys down anywhere in the car but especially not in the trunk.

4 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Name three things you did during your Christmas holiday:

1. Hurt my back.

2. Got an upset stomach.

3. Argued with the family.

I was in such a foul mood on Christmas Eve, everyone said it was okay to eat my dinner alone.

Sounds like you get to retry Christmas Eve.  And take care of your back--as Count Rugen says, if you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.

Whee!  Vaguely threatening phone call from some whackjob who thinks he's solved what pi is, and expects a Nobel prize for it and "is tired of being ignored".  Just what I need ten minutes before my first class on a f----d-up first day of classes in a freshly f----d-up quarter of virtual instruction.

If I had the means to do so easily, the thing to do would be call him back anonymously (ideally, spoof the number to 666-867-5309 or something similar) and say "You reached out to one of our members about the true value of pi.  There are reasons why the state of public knowledge is maintained at what it is.  Desist in your efforts.  Measures are being taken to ensure your result remains unknown."  Click.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh, the glorious IT dept seems to have updated the printer interface software so that it is impossible to do anything with the printers.  It'll let you authenticate, but it never presents you with the menu for what you want to do, and then it logs you out after 5 seconds.  Another glorious day in their war on functionality!