The cranky thread

Hermit

Nothing like spending three full weeks deep cleaning and decluttering your place just to get an eviction notice for your trouble.

The good news is that we have until June 30th to find somewhere else. The bad news is that in the current economy, it's going to be hard to find a place to live that's better than a van down by the river.

I don't know what the market is like there, but if it's anything near like here then it's gonna be a killer. I looked on Zillow this weekend to see what a neighbor's house sold for and everything in this area is selling for $250k+. I bought this house just four years ago for less than $150k. I looked at the Zestimate on my property... almost $250k. No wonder all the scammers are coming out of the woodwork. 

$250K here will get you a two-room shack next to an industrially polluted river. Housing prices here have risen something like 30%-40% since the pandemic began. There's a townhome development that opened shortly after we moved to where we are now. They originally sold for $150K - $185K. The smallest ones are now selling for $350K+.

We may be forced to go to another rental, but even those are ridiculously expensive. Part of the reason he's having us move out is so that he can renovate the place and rent it out for an additional $400+/month.

Moving somewhere else (Lady P is partial to Lexington, KY) would probably be cheaper, but I've got 13 years at my current school and my nonverbal daughter is well-established in her school with lots of special needs programs.

We'll land on our feet. We always do. But it's gonna suck.

Checking Zillow, it looks like a quarter million dollars will get you probably a 1bd/1ba apartment, maybe a 2bd/1ba out in the sticks.  There are no detached homes on island for that price.  The cheapest detached home is a borderline teardown 3bd/2ba in Waianae where you don't want to live.  There's a 1 acre empty lot in Waipahu for $190k and that's probably a pretty good deal.

Neighbor islands might be better.  Or better yet, Panama.

2 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Don't be tricked! Greenland's the one with the ice and rocks, Iceland's the one with the grass . . . and ice. 😀

I did say I don't like hot weather.

Seriously though, I find myself starting to give up on life. Note that I am NOT contemplating suicide. It's more like I don't see the point in trying anymore. I've been struggling with this for months. It has feeling a bit overwhelming lately.

On 4/23/2022 at 1:26 PM, tkdguy said:

I did say I don't like hot weather.

Seriously though, I find myself starting to give up on life. Note that I am NOT contemplating suicide. It's more like I don't see the point in trying anymore. I've been struggling with this for months. It has feeling a bit overwhelming lately.

That comes and goes for me, so I can relate.  What I can't do is offer any notions about how to get out of it, other than latch onto those things that you like.

1 hour ago, Cancer said:

Meanwhile, father-in-law fell, broke his femur, and went to the hospital last Friday.  It is appearing increasingly likely that he won't come home alive.

Sorry to hear that.  It's never easy.  

He's 89, and senior member of his clan.  The oldest of his three siblings died of congestive heart failure back around the turn of the century.  The others have succumbed to cancers (colon and leukemia) in the last three years.  It seems their warranty has run out.

My father's the last left on his entire side...middle brother.  Older brother died...oh, quite a few years ago, actually.  Younger brother died last year.  He's 94 now, and I believe, he's had to be moved to a full time care facility.  (No, familial relations have never been our strong suit.)

You also reminded me of my uncle.  One of the earliest artificial heart valve recipients...in the 50's, mind.  MAJOR deal.  Around...oh...early 80's...story went that he went into the hospital for a persistent cold.  Part of the problem was his artificial valve needed replacement, too...but with an infection?  Can't do major surgery.  He entered the hospital...right round Christmas.  Never came out.  Passed away in late spring.

Which is a form of torture in itself.  There's no good answer here.  

I'd say we could arrange for some appropriate (or inappropriate, as the case may be) companionship while you're stuck in bed, but that might do more harm than good.

Hang in there. Log-man. We're all pulling for you.

5 minutes ago, Logan.1179 said:

I'm making progress, I wasn't crying from pain when I woke up this morning.

Then I read the headlines and a whole new pain started.

I hate to say it, but you should prioritize your own self care first during these times. Then join the rest of us (Justly) in a worry fest in the political thread when you feel better