The cranky thread

Hermit

On 9/23/2021 at 11:54 PM, tkdguy said:

I feel so stuck right now. I need a job, and I really don't want to go back to the type of job I've been doing. But that seems to be the only area where I'm getting job offers. I've turned down those offers because I really don't want those jobs. But I can't stay unemployed forever, and I'm getting really depressed. Hopeless would be a better word.

I wish you the best of luck.

Not that that helps much :(

On 9/16/2021 at 7:22 AM, Pariah said:

Another day, another jackass on a bicycle who thinks that red lights are for other people.

Sorry, but as a cyclist I would like to point out the other side of that coin. A majority of the drivers I see when riding believe that STOP (as on a stop sign) stands for:

Slow

Then

Obstruct

Pedestrians/'Peddlers'

None of them stop where/when they should. They slow down and stop blocking the crosswalks or bike lanes. Usually, right when I'm riding by.  🤬

We'll be having Hobbes euthanized tomorrow.  A "foster failure", he came as a kitten (with mom and four sisters) fourteen years and a couple of months ago.  I haven't known any other cat that long, and I think he's the most amiable cat I've ever known.  We realized he was dying back at the end of April, and (after my worry that he'd check out on Mothers' Day) he's had palliative meds since then (pain and anti-nausea) that has kept him reasonably comfortable, friendly, and content.  But the tumor is obvious, he's losing his mobility, so it's time to let him go.

EDIT: Hobbes, as a healthy adult some ten year ago.

3 hours ago, Cancer said:

We'll be having Hobbes euthanized tomorrow.  A "foster failure", he came as a kitten (with mom and four sisters) fourteen years and a couple of months ago.  I haven't known any other cat that long, and I think he's the most amiable cat I've ever known.  We realized he was dying back at the end of April, and (after my worry that he'd check out on Mothers' Day) he's had palliative meds since then (pain and anti-nausea) that has kept him reasonably comfortable, friendly, and content.  But the tumor is obvious, he's losing his mobility, so it's time to let him go.

EDIT: Hobbes, as a healthy adult some ten year ago.

I am so sorry to hear that, Cancer. My condolences to your entire family.

I can understand having to get up in the night to go to the toilet after going out for a drink or drinking lots during the day but not when that is not the case.

Yesterday after not drinking after 9:00 I had to get up and go 5 times after midnight. The first time the phone also went at 1:10 am but when I got to it they had rung off. But then 2:55, 4:15, 7:20 and then 9:10. The knock on effect was that today although I slept until 7, I then fell asleep and did not get up until 11:15. 

My books from Amazon were said to have been delivered, but I never got them. Customer service said I should get them by Monday. That's fine, but I hope it wasn't a case of package thieves taking my stuff. Sometimes the delivery people don't even deliver it right to my doorstep, just somewhere on the stairs.

Edit: I just got my books, albeit 8 hours later than Amazon stated the delivery took place. Still waiting for other stuff, though.

22 hours ago, tkdguy said:

Walking 2 miles in dress shoes is no fun. San Francisco's transit system is messed up, and I wasn't about to pay $100 for a Lyft ride. Turns out the baseball game jacked prices up big time.

I woke up this morning because my feet were in pain.

I would say that the transit system for the entire U.S. is messed up,  but it really doesn't exist to be messed up.  It only exists in extremely large cities and then one will quickly discover that it is faster and easier to use personal transport than public. If travel beyond a given distance from city center,  then public transit becomes not even an option.  I am aware of Amtrak,  but they are so full of problems and restrictions that they are only available for those who can plan WEEKS ahead and not at the spur of the moment. The U.S. needs something that will allow people to go between cities,  then travel the public system all on the same money, no exchange needed. 

Trying to convince Excel or one of its imitators to plot a histogram given a set of data is like trying to teach the wreckage of a 1947 DeSoto how to defecate cinnamon-raisin scones out the cigarette lighter.  It is like the designers/spec writers/etc. never imagined even the basic concept of that functionality and are incapable of understanding why anyone would ever want it.

Minor annoyances ahead.

I received the notification from Windows Update that Windows 11 was ready for my main computer. The basic upgrade process took a little less time than a feature update for Windows 10, and the only thing telling me that something changed was the time displayed in the upper center of the lock screen in a different font.

First login after update took a little extra time, but I kind of expected that.

Start menu and all pinned icons on the taskbar are now in the center, live tiles are gone in the start menu, and a bunch of apps that I'll never use were pinned. A few minutes of maintenance and most things that I use are where I can find them. If something's not pinned to the start menu, the assumption is that you'll either use a button called "All Apps" to reach the normal scrolling start menu, or will use the search bar to type the name of the app to find it fast. While I'm used to doing that at work to launch things like regedit and the computer management console, it's not something that I'd assume most casual users would do on a regular basis.

Most programs have worked properly so far, with the exception of Handbrake. It had helpfully offered that there was an updated version, which I downloaded and installed, only to find that it's apparently hard-coded to look for a specific version of .Net that's been replaced in Windows 11 with a slightly higher version. The upgraded program wouldn't launch, but reverting to the old version worked fine.

It took me several tries to fix the audio output for my computer. Windows 10 had a very simple selector that was directly available through right-clicking the sound icon on the taskbar. Windows 11 sends you to System\Sound Settings, where you have to tinker with the audio for a specific sound output device (in this case, an A/V receiver), and reselect the speaker layout. It took me a while to realize that the system defaulted to stereo if the sampling rate was set to greater than 96kHz. This probably wouldn't be an issue for most users.

Right-click menus in File Explorer have replaced the Copy, Cut, Paste, Rename, and Delete commands with a small icon ribbon that appears semi-randomly either at the top or the bottom of the menu. The items are just different enough from what I would expect that I need to verify what the button does from the hover text description before selecting.

I'm suspecting that there's a lot of precaching going on for programs, as most common programs load very fast. PowerPoint loaded in about a half-second, and Excel just a little bit slower. This computer's a newer gaming rig, though, so it's probably close to the top of the performance curve for Windows 11. The only other device in the house that will officially run Windows 11 is my laptop, but it has a smaller SSD and half the RAM, so I'm guessing that it won't be quite as responsive when it's finally upgraded.

1 hour ago, Pariah said:

My tech guy at school has a big banner across his office that reads "UPDATES HAPPEN".

Sounds like Windows 11 is a perfect example.

I was actually expecting more things to break, but so far, it's been running fairly well on my system. And the changes to the interface are mainly things that I'll get familiar with, much like the changes between various sub-releases of Windows 10. There's certainly nothing as bad as the Windows 8 interface on a non-touchscreen system, and there haven't been any performance hits like the jump from XP to Vista. The stated minimum requirements to run Windows 11 are fairly high, though, so I'm guessing that most people with older computers won't be getting it until they buy a new computer.

My computer hardware won't run Win11 it seems, so I'll have to wait till I upgrade.

On a similar note, I did just upgrade my phone, and that's turning into a much bigger pain than I anticipated. I thought Android was Android, but no, apparently each company has their own slightly different version. And I was awakened in the middle of the night by a very loud text message alert (still getting alerts and volume down) telling me that Verizon won't be sending me any more text ads. Really? You woke me up for that? You have got to be kidding me! *grump*