The cranky thread

Hermit

I figured I was never going to get the raise I've been promised since last August, so gave my notice yesterday. Having your direct reports making more than you isn't sound retirement planning. Nor is it fair compensation for being on call 24/7 and having to cover shifts of all kinds when you have no people. If all goes well, I'll start a coding boot camp in August and get a nice coding job like the wifey eventually. 

On 4/26/2022 at 9:04 AM, Cancer said:

Meanwhile, father-in-law fell, broke his femur, and went to the hospital last Friday.  It is appearing increasingly likely that he won't come home alive.

Well, he stabilized for a while, but suffered at least one more stroke, and in the last 36 hours he's lost his swallow reflex.  That means he's aspirating, and you can only survive that with some invasive stuff that he has already indicated he doesn't want.  So he'll come home with palliative drugs and die there sometime in the coming days.

Thank you for the regards, folks.  Part of what makes this rougher is that we went through largely the same sort of thing about 14 months ago with a similarly elderly long-time friend of my wife's family, so we know from recent experience how this goes.

On 5/3/2022 at 9:06 PM, Cancer said:

Well, he stabilized for a while, but suffered at least one more stroke, and in the last 36 hours he's lost his swallow reflex.  That means he's aspirating, and you can only survive that with some invasive stuff that he has already indicated he doesn't want.  So he'll come home with palliative drugs and die there sometime in the coming days.

... and he's checked out for good this morning, sooner than I think most of us expected, but if he'd had another stroke (or more than one) that could have done it.  The cat was at his side until the end.

Thank you all again for your regards ... but, frankly, it comes to me as a relief.  We (him, his two daughters, and me as husband of one of them) had had a discussion with the doctor two weekends back in f-i-l's hospital room, and while he was responsive (in a "1 finger for yes, 2 for no" sense) he wasn't vocal and hadn't shown much motor control.  At that time the doctor said (not in these words) recovery was a coin toss, with a number of things that would mean the end was inevitable on the wrong side of the coin toss.  Since he seemed to be having a series of strokes, and that kind of thing doesn't just stop, to me it was more likely a "when" rather than an "if", and that I'd already played my last game of cribbage with him, and so on.  For the end to come as soon as it did is ... sad but perhaps merciful.  It put an end to the dread, and to whatever suffering he was having.

Now, the survivors (my wife and her sister, and my kids, and me) have to move forward after the death, but that is the way of all things.  There is mourning still ongoing, and the business of clearing out his worldly affairs and settling the estate and so on, and that is likely to take a year or so, all told, with decisions to be weighed and made.  But those are a different kind of worry, and one that doesn't loom over you continually (especially since there's nothing like financial difficulties among the survivors, or debts and creditors of the deceased to be fought off in the probate process).

• 2 weeks later...

Lady P's favorite uncle (and my favorite uncle-in-law) was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago and has been struggling. The news today seems to indicate that he's in the final stretch.

One of the unfortunate consequences of growing older is having to watch the people around you move Beyond the Rim.

Not feeling too good. Been that way since Saturday. On way up to Reading no hot water so no hot drinks which was not the problem, I wanted sandwiches which was. Then the bus going back was late. We saw two going the other way before one turned up. Several of us were out at 19:10 but the bus did not appear until 19:45. About 15 mins before the train home. Dosed myself Sunday and today with medication so that I was able to cope.

On 5/23/2022 at 2:19 PM, Pariah said:

Lady P's favorite uncle (and my favorite uncle-in-law) was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago and has been struggling. The news today seems to indicate that he's in the final stretch.

I just got a phone call from the family saying that we need to go say our goodbyes.

I'm going to miss that man.

My condolences.  That is something like what happened with my father-in-law some two-three weeks back, though the malady was not cancer (in all likelihood it was multiple strokes).  I haven't been participating here as much as is my wont since then, for reasons we all understand.  I've got four more class days, plus final exams to give, before I'm done for spring quarter.