The cranky thread

Hermit

Dexterity (my cat) got in a fight last night. His mouth is bleeding this morning and there's a wound on his right front leg. He won't let me near either of these, but otherwise he seems ok. Great timing, cat, the start of a three-day weekend. I couldn't get him in to see a vet till Tuesday at the earliest. All we can do is watch him for now. 

ETA: Finally got some pics of his new 'beard.' 

image.jpeg

1 IMG_20220618_104324531.jpg

Wife and I met with the attorney yesterday to start drafting up wills and estate set-up documents.  The attorney is someone I first met in 1977, and was one of the "Holy s--t!" proclaimers in the item I got published in a "Tales from the Table" page in Knights of the Dinner Table.

Had to take Dex into the vet today. He seems ok from his battle, but it was time for his annual checkup anyway so we're putting the trips together. 

He hates the vet. 

Haaaates the vet. Poor little guy. I have to leave him so they can sedate him just for a normal checkup. That expensive little brat. 

4 hours ago, Cancer said:

Wife and I met with the attorney yesterday to start drafting up wills and estate set-up documents.  The attorney is someone I first met in 1977, and was one of the "Holy s--t!" proclaimers in the item I got published in a "Tales from the Table" page in Knights of the Dinner Table.

which issue in KoDT? 

2 hours ago, Bazza said:

which issue in KoDT? 

Long time ago (like 15 years ago or so).  Cover art was Weird Pete pointing at the reader in the pose seen in the old Uncle Sam "I want you for the US ____" recruiting poster.

====== merged =====

1 hour ago, Logan.1179 said:

It's been a hell of a day. Dex is home from the vet now, just missing the rainstorm moving in. 

The most expensive free cat I've ever had. 

Spike is the same way.  I think he was like a $3500 cat at one point early on.

Yesterday was moving day. We were at it pretty much continuously from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. I'm as tired as a three-legged cat trying to cover its scat on a frozen pond.

Ee got all the big stuff moved, but there's still quite a bit of organizing, cleaning, and transferring that needs to be done. We have until Thursday to get everything out of the old place. Among the things I discovered this morning that we didn't bring: the microwave and any kind of pots or pans. So, cold food for us today. Which is fine, but unwarmed leftover waffles are really crumbly.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a repair guy coming today because the brand new refrigerator the landlord installed isn't keeping our food cold enough. I used a thermometer the other day and found the items in the fridge were around 55°, and around 33° in the freezer. We're probably going to lose $100 or more worth of food, including a bunch of specialty ice cream we brought back from Montana.

So I loaded the dishwasher in the new place for the first time today and when I went to turn it on, it didn't. The breakers are fine, but the dishwasher apparently has no power. It just won't start.

This is all after the water heater went out the first week we moved in.

I'm not happy. What the Hell did the lady who lived here before us do to this place?

Well, the repair guy came today, and it's worse than we thought. The dishwasher appears to be just fine, but the wiring is faulty. It's going to require an electrician to come in. 

Meanwhile, the compressor on the brand new refrigerator is bad. Because it's a new model, there are no aftermarket parts available. The ETA on a new compressor from the manufacturer is about a month. We have a mini-fridge we can use in the meantime; it's small (obviously) and has effectively no freezer. 

Meanwhile, the landlord is two states away for a family thing.

I'm *this close* to losing my damn mind right now.

Many families here have a second refrigerator for exactly this reason.  I myself have a chest freezer in the garage, partly for redundancy and mostly because I got tired of people fighting over keeping bait in the kitchen freezer.

In fact the failure of any major appliance will ruin your life for weeks.  Our washing machine failed last year* and boy does it suck taking your laundry to a relative's house or laundromat.  And it was hard to get a replacement in a timely fashion before the pandemic.  Today it would take weeks or months and also cost a fortune.  I feel your pain, P.

* Scout uniforms with iron-on patches + germophobic wife who washes everything in hot water = loose patches clogging the washer + expensive washing machine teardown.

LGP and I are at the hospital dealing with a large fecal blockage. She hasn't had a real bowel movement in 4-5 days. The plan is for them to administer a saline/glycerin enema to get it out. If that doesn't work, they'll have to put her under and go in and break up the mass.

She's going to hate it, either way. But she's been so miserable for the last 24 hours, so it has to be done.

Any inclination toward prayers, good vibes, or positive energy that any of you might care to send this direction would be greatly appreciated.

Well, I developed a late summer project.

A dozen years back I had to replace a bunch of the fence, including the gate.  Conventional wood post-board fence.  A number of posts had rotted off below ground level.  Considering it was probably 40 years old at the time, not really a big surprise.  Took me a while (used lots of Extra Time modifiers to offset my real life DEX 6, and absolutely no skill levels in carpentry or anything related), but I got it done.  Hardly hurt myself at all doing it, too.

Daughter (who has had her learner's permit less than a week) took out the gate and a bit of fence this evening.  Parking the car, trying to park it and square it up parallel to the fence.  Hit the gas instead the brake.  Crunch.

I'll look at it in more detail in the morning.  Sigh.