The cranky thread

Hermit

I swear sometimes it is as if you have to be psychic. A few years back one of the TV channels ran Grimm and I watched that only it went to the end of season 5 and then stopped. No season 6.

Has a similar problem with Black sails and Vikings. No matter.

So another channel starts running Grimm Monday to Friday. Fine. Work out when that will end for season 5 so that I can see when season 6 will be on. Cometh the day and no running of season 6.

That was end June. This Friday I come across the fact that the channel is running season 6 weekly on Friday. I missed the start but saw the rest. Could not find a free to view bit of the first roughly quarter hour. Found a version in Spanish. Had to do. And no repeat.

At least with Farscape which has just ended its run they followed with both episodes of the Peacekeepers Wars

• 2 weeks later...

Stepdad is home, but I found out one of my best friends will be undergoing a biopsy in a couple of days. Another friend caught some burglars breaking into his car and got hit by the getaway car. No serious injuries, but still. That was my entire day today.

Edit: Stepdad is back in ER. The doctors sent him home because they couldn't find out what was ailing him, but he obviously should have stayed in the hospital.

I wanted to be a cartoonist when I was a kid. Part of the reason I never pursued that was I met a kid in high school who was an amazing artist and it completely intimidated me. And he hated his art. He didn't want to pursue art at all, and that killed my soul. 

I was telling a co-worker this today and she insisted we try to find him online to see if he ever did anything with art. Partly I wanted to show off his stuff because co-worker is also an artist. I didn't hold out much hope because he has a very common name, but we looked. 

Found him. 

He died in 2014.

What adds a little sting is that he was right around the corner in Jacksonville, FL. Somehow, we both found our way here from the Oregon coast in high school. 

Sorry I missed you, Sean. You'll never know what you meant to me. Even today, when I doodle I'm imitating you. 

• 2 weeks later...

Today my house and 47 others lost power for most of the day. Some idiot was chopping down trees, and one of them fell on the power lines. At least the lights came back on at 5 pm instead of the 8 pm (originally 1:30 pm) estimate. I wouldn't have been surprised if the repair crew had worked through the night.

4 hours ago, Old Man said:

Botched another interview.  (sigh) Back to the job boards.

I didn't do so well in my interview the other week myself. Pity, as the hotel is pretty close to my home. But I have very little hotel experience, so it was a long shot.

I have a couple of potential jobs, but I have to complete a couple of assessments for one of them. It's a call center representative job. The other is an online tutoring job. I'm not excited about either position, but I'll take what I can get at this time.

12 minutes ago, tkdguy said:

I had no internet access from 3 am Tuesday to just a few minutes ago. So far so good, but it looks like I'm having trouble with my cable service. It works, but changing channel via remote is next to impossible.

You could always try fresh batteries, especially if the cable box works directly.

California recently passed a Death with Dignity act. (You know, the thing Dr. Kevorkian was sent to prison for supporting? But I digress.

Mom is one of eight children. She's the third oldest and the elder female. She pretty much raised the very youngest siblings. The youngest were in 8th grade when I was in 1st grade. Same school. Of the eight of them, the youngest is likely to be the first to pass, via the death with dignity thing. 

F$ck cancer. 

My cousins lost their mother yesterday from pancreatic cancer. We have been closer to her than my uncle who was a direct relation. She did not go through the chemotherapy route as it would have delayed the inevitable but she could have gone at Christmas 2021.

My mother is upset about it as she could not visit her due to the effect the stoma bags have on her health.

We were back in court again yesterday and got to see the magistrates which was nice. We were told that we could do this over the phone again but after the previous two occasions, we wanted to see the magistrates and put our case. We were able to and will be supplying the council tax side of the council with paperwork tomorrow. It was a very clear and concise experience although long running and I have to put the debt collectors off as the case is adjourned again. However as we got home the skies emptied on us.