What graphic novels should I get?

phydaux

I've been in the mood to get some graphic novels. I've been putting it off because they're just SOOO expensive, but I'm in a situation where I have a lot of time on my hands to read, and my reading list is getting kind of thin.

I'm mostly a Marvel fan. The first graphic novel I ever bought was Secret Wars. I did buy Dark Knight Returns (and loved it) so I'm not ruleing out any DC stuff.

I'm thinking maybe some of the Marvel Essential series (although I already KNOW the origins of my favorite heros, so maybe I'll skip Vol Ones). I just really don't want to pay all that money for stuff I've read a dozen times already. I'm thinking Spiderman, X-Men or Avengers. nothing else really trips my trigger. Maybe Dr. Strange (unless it's TOO strange).

I'll probibly buy the 3-book Broken Bat series. (Three books? Those money grubbing @$$-holes!!!)

I might get Crisis on Infinate Earths. I WON'T get any of the Death of Superman crap.

Is there any JLA stuff on par with Essential Avengers?

Is there anything out there that is just any good? Up there with Secret Wars or Dark Knight Returns (other than Broken Bat)?

Re: What graphic novels should I get?

Well one I would reccomend is the one I have in hardback form and thats is Kraven's Last Hunt which was originally a six part series that ran through Amazing, Spectacul and Web of Spider Man. Ohters I would reccomend Batman: Death in the Family

X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga

Batman/Titans: Lonely Place of Dying

A slightly different set of books:

Death and the High Cost of Living

Death and the Time of Your Life

The Books of Magic: Summonings, Bindings, Reconnings, etc....

The Frank Miller Wolverine

Batman: The Dark Knight

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

While you're at it, pick up the Five Star Stories manga...

I think the Avengers/JLA was collected into an expensive hardback, but it's worth looking to see if they've put it out in a TPB.

Avengers/Thunderbolts are generally pretty good reads.

Neil Gaiman's 1602 is an exploration of the Marvel Superheroes transported to the year 1602. Sounded kind of dry to me from the description, but my faith in Gaiman held up. I thought it was great. Ending could have been a *little* better.

One not mentioned yet: The Golden Age (Elseworlds) by James Robinson, 1995

Also

Justice League of America: The Nail by Alan Davis & Mark Farmer, 1998

Re: Crisis...get it. You won't regret it. Perez's artwork is magnificent, and the story is epic, even if some of it has been undone.

From DC

ANy of the Geoff Johns JSA

Beat me to it. This is an excellent series. They just released TPB Six, "Savage Times." I am thinking of using this incarnation of the JSA as a basis for a campaign, a mix of heroes from the original team, plus new heroes taking on the legacy of the previous generation.

Hmm. I was surprised that no-one has mentioned

League of Extraordinary Gentlement (Alan Moore - volumes one and two)

and unsurprised though a bit saddended that no-one mentioned

Inhumans (Paul Jenkins & Jae Lee)

Both of these formed recent examples of excellent comics writing. I think the second was best as I'd never been a fan of the Inhumans and never heard of Paul Jenkins!

Doc

Daredevil: Born Again is one of my all-time favorites.

If you like Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, you'll probably like Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Watchmen is essential. Every person who reads superhero comics should have a copy of Watchmen.

ASTRO CITY -- *especially* the Confessions and Tarnished Angel storylines.

Other than that, let me throw out a couple of lesser knowns that haven't been mentioned.

PS238: "With Liberty and Recess For All". The concept pretty much creates itself -- a unified comic universe (Superman, Batman, Spiderman, and the Hulk all in the same universe, albeit renamed) that's been around long enough for the principles to have kids in elementary school. What Aaron does remarkably well is telling a story *about* kids that isn't *for* kids. The last issue (about Mr. Extraordinary) is one of the more touching I've read in the superhero genre -- a MUCH better take on the "why Secret ID could exist" than Astro City's, IMO.

"The Crossovers". This one might be hard to come by with Crossgen/Code 6 out of business, but especially for fans of the HERO System it's worth tracking down. Basic concept is a family of 4 (plus dog), each of whom is the main character in a different genre (Dad's a super hero, Mom's a vampire slayer, Sis visits a fantasy world, Bro is an alien collaborator). The first 6 issues are available as a trade and quite funny. The latter issues stunk, don't bother -- but 1-6 are a classic.

For specific recommendations, I would have to agree with:

Watchmen

Astro City - Confessions

Astro City - The Tarnished Angel

Any of the Marvel Essentials - The don't just have the origins, they have a lot of early stories that you probably haven't already read. Not everything usually gets reprinted. Find a store that lets you thumb through them first, and see how much is familiar.

But, in addition to specifics, I have a piece of advice.

Go to the Library!

Check in the children's section!

I don't know about yours, but I live in a relatively small city, and even my local branch library has around 100 Graphic Novels/TPB's on the shelf.

I had no idea!

I was just trying to help my nephew find a very basic book on how to draw. (he isn't that young, but knew nothing about drawing at the time, so we ended up in the children's section)

I passed this little alcove with benches and racks, and there they were.

I don't think I saw a copy of Watchmen, but they had tons of other stuff.

Even some of the "darker" more "mature" stuff.

(I think it is possible that whoever does the buying is still under the

"comic book = for kids" assumption.

Anyway, if money is tight, and you just want to read them, take a look.

KA.

Well, I picked up Kraven's Last Hunt (based on the board's recommendation) and the Avengers Kree/Skrull War (I've always wanted to read that one).

I also picked up Spider-Girl (Peter and MJ's daughter fights Norman Orborn's grandson).

And as for the Bat, I have my eye on the 3-part Knightfall and the 5-part No Man's Land. I'll just have to sell my car first...

Nothing else really jumped off the shelf and said "read me."