Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Champions last night:

Enigma: “It’s not like we’re going up against a god.”

Inertia: “Cuz we did that last week.”

GM's note: it's actually been several months. ;)

Built To Last is currently pretending to be a butch lesbian named Lola. (Trust me, you're better off not knowing why.) Currently working with four sorority girls, all of whom “throw like girls.”

“Lola”: “Don’t any of you play softball?”

Girl: “Oh no; we’re all straight.”

“Lola”: “Hey, I’ll have you know there were two straight girls on my team…”

The queen bee sorority girl breaks down crying on camera:

Enigma: (OOC) “There went her social standing.”

Inertia: (OOC) “She’s going to have to go to private school, and if she’s lucky they’ll think it’s because she’s pregnant.”

Promethean, currently impersonating a martial artist, ponders his next move.

GM: “Do the flippy thing again; the kids love that.”

OOC:

“Does this Power Armor make me look fat?”

“It ain’t the suit, sweetheart.”

Visiting a hero-based theme park, Enigma expresses her disgust with the park designers’ understanding of the mystic arts:

Enigma: (sigh) “It’s magik with a k, isn’t it?”

Promethean tries to talk Inertia back from going Iron Age:

Inertia: “They kidnapped me, tazed me, tortured five innocent people, and burned down a shelter. While people were in it! We need to find them and kick the **** out of them.”

Promethean: “When did you become so vicious?:

Inertia: “When they kidnapped me, tazed me, tortured five people, and burned down a shelter! Weren’t you paying attention? Eidetic memory my ***!”

Promethean: (gamely trying to drive on) “That’s a good reason to arrest them, not beat them up.”

Inertia: “Fine. So after we beat them up, we call the cops.”

I don't have the game quotes... hopefully BigDamnHero comes along with them. (edit: or, you know, post them at the same time)

I just have to note he managed to capture us. With FoxBat.

So Foxbat could ask one of the PCs to marry him. . .

ok, we were all in civilian ID. but still... FOXBAT! he's a threat I tell you.

Guest Major Tom
I don't have the game quotes... hopefully BigDamnHero comes along with them. (edit: or, you know, post them at the same time)

I just have to note he managed to capture us. With FoxBat.

So Foxbat could ask one of the PCs to marry him. . .

ok, we were all in civilian ID. but still... FOXBAT! he's a threat I tell you.

That's not exactly the sort of thing that I'd ever willingly admit to having

happen to me. In fact, I'd treat it the same way that most folks treat

Highlander II: The Quickening and Galactica: 1980 -- they never happened.

Major Tom :D

That's not exactly the sort of thing that I'd ever willingly admit to having

happen to me. In fact, I'd treat it the same way that most folks treat

Highlander II: The Quickening and Galactica: 1980 -- they never happened.

Major Tom :D

In this particular game 'verse Foxbat has actually come the 2nd closest to ending the world. We defeated the guy who came the closest.

So, you know... he's DANGEROUS. And Dangerous On Accident to boot. Making him doubly dangerous.

Actually, it was an amazingly fun game session, BDH did a great job of both projecting that we were walking into a trap, and not providing any Serious opportunities to break civilian ID (there were moments some of contemplated I think, but we all played the Secret ID bit up nicely).

It was a game-inside-a-game scenario, the Characters were running through a Super Hero Simulation at an amusement park, separately with civilians as partners in the simulation.

It was an incredible amount of fun.

My character showed up from 1993 and was surprised that superheroes have to register.

"Wait, do you have to register?"

"Only if you want to be using superpowers legally."

(Police voice) "I'm sorry, miss, but I'll have to pull you over."

"But, officer, I was only using 4 ounces of superpower."

"... And I had it sealed in these containers of Whoop @$$."

"I'm sorry, but you had intent to use that superpower."

From my shadows into light campaign on Thursday:

NPC: "you guys are nuts"

PC: I'm a pistachio

Worse, it was from our team's learned mage, to the champions, in their conference room, where we had come out of the closet of. (Why a conference room has a closet, I don't know.) The thing that keeps annoying Defender about this, is that when we go back through the door to the closet, we close it after ourselves, but when they open it less than a second later, it's an empty closet. I love inter-dimensional gates.:D

During a recent Champions game the group had acquired the top five levels of a skyscraper to use as a base. A villain had infiltrated the base and attacked them when their guard was down.

Jazz (Flying Blaster): Come into our house and start a fight, that was stupid.

Jazz (OOC): I'm going to transform the floor into air so he falls to the next level.

GM: Ok, the floor disappears just as you remember that only you and Order can fly and he doesn't have his power armor on.

Later on in the fight, the villain threw a entangling grenade and the only person who didn't get caught in it was the martial artist Apex.

Apex (OOC): Everyone else is entangled?

GM: Yeah.

Apex (OOC): Ok, I'll do a running jump kick and try to knock this guy out.

He rolled 3 to hit and then all 6's.

GM: Holy crap, the guy goes flying out the window and it doesn't look like he can fly. Unfortunately, kicking with that much force sends you out the window as well.

Apex: Ok, don't panic I have teammates that can fly down and save me.

Jazz (OOC): Forgot the entangle didn't ya?

Apex (OOC): ...Yes...Yes I did. What are the chances I can survive this?

GM: You have no powers and just your martial arts so about as good as the real you surviving that fall.

Apex: Well, at least I can try and land on his head to make sure he doesn't come back.

Gm: Alright, give me a Dex roll.

Some time later...

GM: You guys find the villain, minus his head and a puddle that looks a lot like your former teammate Apex.

GM: Holy crap, the guy goes flying out the window and it doesn't look like he can fly. Unfortunately, kicking with that much force sends you out the window as well.

Can I ask why rolling a 3 sent the MA out the window to his death?

Mike, if he rolled over 10 dice, and the GM is using the standard critical hit rules (Which I do not), that's max damage and 2x body equals number of dice. We don't know what maneuver the hero used, and if he says that the maneuver involves leaping forward all the time, it's AIEEE down we go.

That's sure enough body to break a wall if it's 10+ dice. Any additional inches translate into raw momentum.

Should the GM have allowed both of them a chance to live? It really depends on how Iron age the game is. From the sound of that encounter, it seems like it is pretty Iron Age.

If the attack were a Move Though or Move By and the character didn't have room to decelerate after causing Knockback, then he could have gone through the wall/window. I'm not sure, from the description, if that's the case or not.

During a recent Champions game the group had acquired the top five levels of a skyscraper to use as a base. A villain had infiltrated the base and attacked them when their guard was down.

Jazz (Flying Blaster): Come into our house and start a fight, that was stupid.

Jazz (OOC): I'm going to transform the floor into air so he falls to the next level.

GM: Ok, the floor disappears just as you remember that only you and Order can fly and he doesn't have his power armor on.

Later on in the fight, the villain threw a entangling grenade and the only person who didn't get caught in it was the martial artist Apex.

GM: You have no powers and just your martial arts so about as good as the real you surviving that fall.

Apex: Well, at least I can try and land on his head to make sure he doesn't come back.

Some time later...

GM: You guys find the villain, minus his head and a puddle that looks a lot like your former teammate Apex.

You need to take your GM down to the local pool hall and demonstrate basic Newtonian physics to him.

A variety of one-liners from last night's session (I'm actually doing face-to-face gaming again, it's such a weird concept):

One PCs wife happens to be next to the armored car Doctor Destroyer's robots are breaking into.

"Guess that 'My Husband is a Super-Hero' bumper sticker was a bad idea."

As his car gets wrecked:

PC 1: Insurance has to cover this! Does this count as an act of God?

PC 2: Have you seen Doctor Destroyer's point total? He pretty much is God.

As Shrinker shrinks down and jumps inside my character:

"This is so much less sexy than it sounds."

Other PC: "I want you inside me. No! Not like that!"

GM: Tentacles come down from the ceiling and try to grab you.

PC: That's absolutely disgusting! I can't . . . oh, 'tentacles'.

After Doctor Destroyer shows up to fry Brainchild, who'd been behind the mess.

PC: Eew. I'm really glad my character bought Physical Limitation: No sense of smell.

PC: Hey, you hit Brainchild a few times before he got zapped. Guess that means he was battered, then fried!

GM: The tentacles retract.

PC: Yeah, I bet they do. Oh, 'tentacles'.

PC: Doctor Destroyer's here? My character proves that he did not buy Life Support: No need to excrete.

Mike, if he rolled over 10 dice, and the GM is using the standard critical hit rules (Which I do not), that's max damage and 2x body equals number of dice. We don't know what maneuver the hero used, and if he says that the maneuver involves leaping forward all the time, it's AIEEE down we go.

That's sure enough body to break a wall if it's 10+ dice. Any additional inches translate into raw momentum.

Should the GM have allowed both of them a chance to live? It really depends on how Iron age the game is. From the sound of that encounter, it seems like it is pretty Iron Age.

So the MA rolls a 3 to hit - the best hit he can inflict - and he's deemed to follow the villain's knockback and kill himself. What would have happened if he had rolled an 18? Absent something about the specific maneuver that forces the character to move forward following his target, the ruling is assinine.

In Remnants of Hope, Cash Cat is helping Whistler (GMPC) to convince Kevin (Rogue-like uber brick) to be one of the first superheroes in several decades and knock Destroyer out of his dominance of the US. Kevin has just argued that the last time he tried to help people he took out most of a city block when he went berserk....

For reference, anybody who wants to rep for this should hit Comic, who plays Cash Cat, not myself.

~~~===~~~

The blurred green figure of Cash Cat wavers and vanishes a moment, before returning.. with a violin.

He plinks it, and tests the bow.

"You have to excuse me," the teleporter apologizes. "It's been a long time since I pulled this thing out. It's a Strad, or something. Stole it from Eurostar. I like to play it when I hear sad stories."

Cash Cat is no violinist. He drags the bow along the strings, and it screeches horribly. He looks up at the break this obvious distraction ought to cause, "No, no. You two keep talking. This is priceless," he taunts with irony, tone light and taunting.

"The man whose touch is death meets the man who can't die. It's sort of poetic. Kev, Kev, Kev.. you don't mind if I call you Kev, do you? You think your story's sad, you should hear Whistler's. Or mine. You can't change what you've done. Only I have the power to do that -- and believe me it's never worth it -- But you still have a chance to decide what you will become. There is a bright future ahead of you, Kev. Many of them. If you choose. At any rate, brighter than wallowing here in self-pity and waste."

Some time later...

What a stunning lack of the understanding of basic physics this shows. The GM should acquire a basic Physics Text Book and look up sections relevant to the transference of Energy and Momentum to an Object.

He also severely penalized a Player because the dice managed to come up completely in his favor. That's a really poor GM. So poor I'll just tell you to imagine a string of the worst insults you could think to call someone and apply it to this wretch.

I hate hearing stories like this in this thread. They are neither funny, cute, or even remotely entertaining. They just show us that there really are some hard core Jerks out there GMing games.

What a stunning lack of the understanding of basic physics this shows. The GM should acquire a basic Physics Text Book and look up sections relevant to the transference of Energy and Momentum to an Object.

He also severely penalized a Player because the dice managed to come up completely in his favor. That's a really poor GM. So poor I'll just tell you to imagine a string of the worst insults you could think to call someone and apply it to this wretch.

I hate hearing stories like this in this thread. They are neither funny, cute, or even remotely entertaining. They just show us that there really are some hard core Jerks out there GMing games.

" Everyone serves a purpose, even if it's only as a bad example" my friend Tim....

City On The Edge : Party is investigating mysterious sun-blottings across the countryside

: "Who can do eclipses?"

Me
:
:winkgrin:

Zero ( Truman Golightly ) panicking about the prospect of leaving town without his never-seen, never-heard mother, for a few days.

Trawler
: "Leave a message for her that you're eloping! That's why you're not taking her..

Truman does tend to quote his mother when stressed.

Miss Chaos
: "We can't say Truman's ill, you know what mothers are like - she'll be straight down to the hospital checking he's okay, that the doctors are doing a good job..."

Zero
: "No she wouldn't - she'd stand there saying
'look at you, you're weak Truman, you're a failure Truman, just like your father, Truman...'"

Miss Chaos, heiress, offers to pose as a client.

Zero
: "at least Mother won't think she's a gold digger .
She's only after your money Truman.. They're all sluts Truman... "
:help:

GM
: "I'm just enjoying Shane's expression every time you start talking like that."

GM Weldun
: "What on earth are you eating?"

Me
: "Potato salad and shaved chicken."

Sundog
: "I still think that's evil."

GM
: "What?"
:confused:

Sundog
: "Shaving chickens "

GM
: "It looks like something Bishop from Aliens would eat."

and a passing comment

Trawler
: "Do you know how far Trawler can pitch a tent?"

The Edge team want to build a twin for their APC , 'The Flying Brick'

Trawler
: "I want to call it Stanley"

GM
: "Stanley?"
:confused:

Trawler
: "Stanley Two-Brick"

Meanwhile, in the Kingdom City session

*wanders thru the room with a metre-wide rubber ball covered in studs*

"Aieee! Giant Virus Attack!"

*Sundog comes in with one a mere 20cms across*

"Ah, Smallpox"
:D

Void's player comes back, having misses a week.

Void
: "...5, 8 .. Sudoku! Oh, hi guys, where are we and what's going on?"

"The Fairy Duke wants us to enslave a Slyph and kill an Ogre King"

Void's player
: "Have we changed to an evil game and nobody told me?
:eek:

E Magister
grins with horns, pointy teeth, demonic aura etc

Void
: "I really haven't been paying attention have I?

Orca
: "What flavour of aura does Void have?

Void
: "Blackcurrant, apparently"

Vitus
: "Can you teleport back to the castle?"

Void
: "I could, as long as the Fae realm doesn't interfere with my powers."

Vitus
: "I'm willing to take that risk"

: "If what say about Dragon diet is true, at least 3 is safe."
:D

Vitus tries and fails to ignore 3's nakedness

Felicity
: "So, there's Vitus - does he go in the B.A.T.H. or stay on the bank and whine?"

The Spectre warns our herald her glamour is slipping

Vitus
: "Nothing wrong with sharp meat-eating teeth"

The Spectre
: "In a mouth thiiiiiiiiiis wide? She looks like a demonic muppet!"
:angst:

Vitus mutters as he leaves the room

"It's always puzzled me that some people have such a range of enemies - Now I, I dislike everybody equally."

The Ogre King
: "I like the gnoll"

The Spectre
: "He kind of grows on you, like..."

Felicity & The Spectre
: "Fungus"

E Magister
: "I'm sure, with the right sauce, I could like him too"

Vitus OOC
: "now why is it Vitus keeps pricking his ears up suspiciously every time someone says 'short'?"

The Spectre
: "Where's the iron bar?"

E Magister
: "That was just a short rod."

Vitus
:
*pricking his ears up suspiciously
* "What?"

Void
, with Total Life Support : "so... The mermaids will charm us, mate us, *then* try to drown and eat us? Bagsies!"

Vitus
: "Ah, the Storm Lord. Fine example of Earthly intelligence and wit. Well, halfwit anyway."

Some of Felicity's mana-battery rocks have been put in Void's pocket, and have started running around inside his trousers.

The Spectre/Weldun OOC :
"I'm just picturing the panel -
Void
looking
:eek:
's hand down the front of his pants, and
Vitus
looming behind them, veins throbbing."

: "I can't find anything..."

Felicity
: So
is trying to get
Felicity
's rocks off
Void

E Magister OOC
: "Our first triple entendre of the evening!"

Void
distingrates his own pants, and
recovers the now traumatised mana-battery.

Void
: "oh, dammit!"

Vitus
screams
: "Have none of you self-control?!"
:mad:

E Magister
: "I am distinctly underwhelmed"

Void
: "It's cold here, alright!"

Mermaid
"I had thought you very well endowed"