Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Last session.

In a town where they don't like outsiders, the sorcerer decides to charm the lady at the general store in order to find out information. He finds out there is a roving bad of people who come in on full moons (werewolves) and steals money, goods, whatever. He wants to stay and fight (we are all 4th level) and his reasoning?

"How bad can it be?"

Tabletop Diplomacy session, from years ago, in a dorm lounge. Seven players at the table, a few other folks in other seats.

"France" takes a long time looking at the board and finally says to "England", "What do you say to this. You can have Belgium, Burgundy, and a free hand against Italy, as long as I get Spain ... and Martha ["Germany"'s girl friend]."

Martha, who is in the room but not in the game, looks up from her reading and stares wordlessly at the guys at the table.

"Germany" spends a couple of minutes looking at the board, occasionally glancing at "France" and Martha. Finally, he says, "Deal."

Martha is now staring open-mouthed.

"France" gets up with a nod and takes two steps from the table towards the door. "France declares internal disorder," he says to the players. To Martha he says, "You come with me."

When a game is moveing slowly from too much non game related talking, or if there is a lot of roleplaying going on and no fighting, I will often as I joke say something like.

"Come on people this is Rollplaying, I haven't rolled any dice in the past hour, lets kill something" of course in jest.

There was a time where the running gag was to toss the attack dice [3d6, or d20] on the table as the GM is about to speak and say, "I hit him!"

We've all had encounters with players whose attitudes were not much removed from this, so we made fun like good nerds do.

One fellow was noting that his character never got a chance to actually converse with any of the NPC's as they would get butchered by the other PC's before he would get a chance. He figured a typical encounter would go like

"Hi I'm.... Covered in your blood" [wipes hands on shirt followed by looking at the other players with disapointment]

I was France. The deal ended up being ... ah ... abrogated' date=' predictably but unfortunately. A pity; Martha was hot.[/quote']

Huh. I knew a Martha at Boston University who was not at all hot but was quite loose (I didn't know her well enough and I was not bold enough to find out for myself). Seems the deal would have worked with her.

Did you seriously expect such a deal would come to any fruition? Pardon the OT, I'm just curious, since the notion a boyfriend or even husband could promise off his mate in such an exchange is a bit, well, archaic!

Huh. I knew a Martha at Boston University who was not at all hot but was quite loose (I didn't know her well enough and I was not bold enough to find out for myself). Seems the deal would have worked with her.

Did you seriously expect such a deal would come to any fruition? Pardon the OT, I'm just curious, since the notion a boyfriend or even husband could promise off his mate in such an exchange is a bit, well, archaic!

I've been in a few situations where there would be a reasonably good chance that the deal would have been honored.

But then again, I don't hang with the average gamer crowd.

(Thems aint normal gamers Caleb... normal gamers don't play Zombies by blacklight with a bunch of hot nekkid girls)

And if you never got with the Martha of your past, how do you know she was loose?

Frequent excercise makes strong kegels, after all ;)

I've been in a few situations where there would be a reasonably good chance that the deal would have been honored.

But then again, I don't hang with the average gamer crowd.

(Thems aint normal gamers Caleb... normal gamers don't play Zombies by blacklight with a bunch of hot nekkid girls)

And if you never got with the Martha of your past, how do you know she was loose?

Frequent excercise makes strong kegels, after all ;)

I know it sounds stupd, but until now I never realized that "loose" had a literal root to it! I wrote a different response until I realized the joke you meant.

psssst Zorn, buddy, I think it was in jest.

Long ago, my friends told me about a table game called Suburban Slasher, based on all the slasher films of the '80s. Basically you play a serial killer or movie monster and rack up points trying to kill various targets. You get to use certain attack cards and the target gets to use defense cards, and if the defender wins, he gets a counterattack. The fun is that other players can give the target their own cards to have the target fight back in order to eliminate the attacker or save a high-point target for themselves.

In one game we played, one of those high-point targets was the Church of Satan. One of the players drew their card and attacked them, so one of the players gave them his best defense card: "Faith in God."

With this, the Church of Satan beat the initial attack and the player barely survived the counterattack to escape.

This led to my coining the phrase, "There are no Satanists in foxholes."

JG

psssst Zorn' date=' buddy, I think it was in jest.[/quote']

Well, he still forfeited his position! I mean that part was NOT in jest! And the weird part is they did get up and go off, even if just for show on her part.

I know Diplomacy...and NOBODY just gives up unless the incentive is a real possibility at sex! Not in my experience anyway.

From last night's Fantasy Hero Turakian Age campaign:

Raz (Human Rogue) and Grangnar (Drakine Wizard) take a load of silver ore found on their last adventure to a local smithy to sell it. As the smith's apprentices are carrying the loads of ore into the store, Grangnar, a little leery of... well.. everyone, after all the cultists that they've run into lately, asks the Smith -

Grangnar: "So... you haven't raised a horde of ravaging undead in the basement or anything, have you?"

Smith: "... Define 'Horde'."

Grangnar: "Umm... Over 5?"

Smith: ".. Do you mean 5 and over, or just more than 5?"

Grangnar: "Umm... more than 5."

Smith: "Oh. In that case, no. No I haven't."

Grangnar: "Oh. Good."

----------------

After a brief exchange overnight with Avelyne Lindsey, another prisoner being kept in the tower, where the PCs found themselves imprisoned, Raz speaks to Grangnar:

Raz: "I don't know if you noticed this or not, but that woman up there in the cell next to yours is a total psycho."

Grangnar: "Well.. she IS a woman."

----------------

And later, as Grangnar attempts conversation with the unusually reclusive Avelyne:

Grangnar: "So... what are you in for?"

Avelyne: "... I killed my husband."

Grangnar: "Oh. You.. didn't raise ravaging hordes of undead or anything afterwards, did you?"

Avelyne: "... Define 'Hordes'."

From our game last night. Two character's were talking about how they had been tempted to kill each other. It led to this quote by one of them:

"I don't kill you because you're somewhat of a good person, and you don't kill me because it will cost you money."

Wow, that sounds like a couple of my PCs, if they got angrier at each other!

From Friday nights game:

Darkstrike out of the blue said over our radio link "Someone better shut up these clowns. I swear to God I'm killing my clone if these clowns don't shut up!"

Turns out someone was using mental illusions on him and hit a weak spot, while Darkstrike was visiting his clone we had captured in a battle earlier. He believed the clowns were in the clones mind.

The finish of the big battle against two teleporting, perverse leather boys went like:

GM: They teleport away with Kei-ULTRA. Kei, you find yourself in a room with bondage equipment and the twins. You can tell they are real, not illusions.

Kei: Aaaaaiiiii!

Darkstrike: I'm listening carefully over the radio.

Kei's player: I'm sure you heard the scream.

No, I genuinely didn't. There were four newbies in the game, and I was trying to provoke them to think outside the box, so to speak, as well as loosen up some tension. The problem (in my experience) with Diplomacy, especially with new players, is that people tend to take the backstabs personally and get really pissed off. Doing something as blatantly absurd as the negotiate-for-nongame-benefits was intentional.

But I'm wise enough to to have for asked something I would have enjoyed anyway, in the remote chance it worked... :D

From a Gen Con game I thought I wasn't going to like, but loved:

Note: If you are not familiar with the movie "Blazing Saddles", you will not understand this:

I was playing an African American Male Energy Projector. Our party was travelling through time fighting invading Aliens. When we got to WW2, we faced a platoon of Nazis. They had weapons, a battleship AND large numbers. FISH IN A BARREL.

I asked to make a Presence Attack. The GM nodded:

Me: (Big Smile) "Hey Guys ! Where're all the WHITE women ??!!??" :sneaky: (Huge Grin)

GM: ( Flings empty juice box in my face.)

Me: (Big Smile) "Hey Guys ! Where're all the WHITE women ??!!??" :sneaky: (Huge Grin)

At my bachelor party, my friend Fat Sexy Rob (picture a 300 pound Filipino skinhead) stood on the table at Rudy's and used that line. There were a few white women, but they were all Yalies and were not impressed.

From a Gen Con game I thought I wasn't going to like, but loved:

Note: If you are not familiar with the movie "Blazing Saddles", you will not understand this:

I was playing an African American Male Energy Projector. Our party was travelling through time fighting invading Aliens. When we got to WW2, we faced a platoon of Nazis. They had weapons, a battleship AND large numbers. FISH IN A BARREL.

I asked to make a Presence Attack. The GM nodded:

GM: ( Flings empty juice box in my face.)

"It's shoe polish! [shows palm] See?"

{snip}

Grangnar: "So... you haven't raised a horde of ravaging undead in the basement or anything, have you?"

Smith: "... Define 'Horde'."

{snip}

Grangnar: "Oh. You.. didn't raise ravaging hordes of undead or anything afterwards, did you?"

Avelyne: "... Define 'Hordes'."

Damn, that is funny! Repped, and thanks for the laughs.

Super-Dude (picture surfer that is 6ft tall, 3 of which is mohawk) is flying on his mystical surfboard as we are fighting a 2000ft "Killer Robot" The rest of us have been a bit injured but nothing bad.

Super-Dude: Ok I think I have enough running room for a move-thru.

GM: Ok you set up your move-thru, is there anything your going to do before you start the manuver?

Super-Dude: yea, I'm jumping off my board so it doesn't get messed up when I punch a hole in this guys chest.

-[side note: Super-Dude's powers came from his board, all of them]-

--Moment of silence--

GM: Are you sure?

Super-Dude: yep. cowabunga!!!

We all laughed VERY hard when Nate(Super-Dude) figured out that he was in trouble. He didn't really do a move-thru... well, not exactly.

Flowers were sent to the hospital.

Ah the days in SD and Kazama Mammoth...how could you forget that name..?

Blue:"Come down and game!"

Me:"But I have work tomorrow."

B:"Yeah, so?"

M:"Its nine at night and it'll take me an hour to get there."

B:"Yeah, so?"

M:"Who's running?"

B:"You are!"

M:"Ok...I'll be there in an hour..."