USPDB

mangahunterd

My impulse is to simply stay, "Steve." :)

However, if there's one thing I've learned over the course of my life, it's that even if you 'know' the shipping date for a gaming supplement of any sort, there's no way of actually being certain. Production errors, births, deaths, inclement weather, natural disasters, illnesses, and alien invasions all mess up shipping schedules.

Originally posted by CrosshairCollie

My impulse is to simply stay, "Steve." :)

However, if there's one thing I've learned over the course of my life, it's that even if you 'know' the shipping date for a gaming supplement of any sort, there's no way of actually being certain. Production errors, births, deaths, inclement weather, natural disasters, illnesses, and alien invasions all mess up shipping schedules.

Good thing you didn't just say Steve, since he admits that he doesn't know either.:D

One thing that DoJ has vastly improved over former Hero Games management is a consistent release schedule. Almost all their books have come out right around the time that they said they would. The dates they give are approximate, but when they do have a firm date it's usually in the ballpark of the original schedule. And if there are any significant delays, management always lets the fans know and explains the delay. Which is another big improvement: communication. :)

I am enjoying the wealth of new supplements, even if I don't use all of them. I even have Star Hero, and it's likely I'll never get around to running a game.

My players have their champions ideas lined up but are looking to me to solve their power design difficulties. I'm hoping that the USPDB will give them more options. I think it's the best idea for a champions supplement ever!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Lord Liaden

One thing that DoJ has vastly improved over former Hero Games management is a consistent release schedule. Almost all their books have come out right around the time that they said they would.

Yeah, mon! ::thumbs-up smilie::

And it bears repeating (not for your benefit, Lord Liaden, I know you know ;) ) that the release date DOJ gives is release to the printers. The printer must receive it, schedule it, print it, ship to the distributors, and then the distributors ship to your FLGS. All that takes time. I've taken to guesstimating a product will be in my grubby flippers, erm, hands, around the end of the month following the release date. That seems to work reasonably well.

The reason DOJ gives a release to the printers date is that is the last date they have control over.

Off to call my FLGS now! :P

Originally posted by SCUBA Hero

Yeah, mon! ::thumbs-up smilie::

And it bears repeating (not for your benefit, Lord Liaden, I know you know ;) ) that the release date DOJ gives is release to the printers. The printer must receive it, schedule it, print it, ship to the distributors, and then the distributors ship to your FLGS. All that takes time. I've taken to guesstimating a product will be in my grubby flippers, erm, hands, around the end of the month following the release date. That seems to work reasonably well.

The reason DOJ gives a release to the printers date is that is the last date they have control over.

Off to call my FLGS now! :P

Pretty close, SCUBA me boy, but not quite. The date we give is release *from* the printers; in other words, the day the book comes off the final presses (which are the ones that put the covers on, actually), gets boxed up, and leaves either Ohio or Berkeley depending on which of our main printers we're talking about. That in fact is the last day we have any control over, or frankly any information about. After that it's on a truck from printer to distributor, then sitting in a distro warehouse waiting to be processed, then repacked along with a bunch of other books, then on a truck from distro to store, where it hopefully finds its way to a shelf quickly.

That process can take a week to ten days, and that's even if your store remembered to put in an order in advance. If they don't order until somebody bugs them about it, they may have to wait even longer, especially if the distro ran out and needs to get more from us... dw

Yeah, but I sure didn't bang every last power into a calculator. That's dedication.

And I skipped Animal Powers so I'd have something to read when the book came out (cause the wife notices if I drop $40 CAN on a book and am never seen reading it).

Unfortunately, I'm still prodding my FLGS to convince their distributors that there's a book called Millennium City out there.

I think part of the advantage from all the playtesters is that we come at the manuscript from different perspectives. I am more of a number cruncher. I do not sweat the written details as much as I do trying to make sure the points are correct. I tend to overlook things in the written parts of a manuscript (it is the Evelyn Wood speed reading course coming back to haunt me) that other playtesters catch. The fact that Bob, Tom, and Geoff (as well as everyone else who contributes) all have different criteria when reading the manuscript just helps us catch the greater assortment of errors. We are team of lucky fools all doing what we can, when we can.

And Tom, I only buy the books for the pretty pictures, not all that reading. :)

Originally posted by Monolith

I usually have to say "I hate you" to Keith Curtis first, but today I will direct my venom to you. :)

I hate you for getting it before me! :mad:

Just happened to stop into the FLGS as they were unpacking it...and in response to the above NYAH NYAH NYAH

This is one of the best suppliments I've seen for any system. As a longtime gamer (20+ years), this is something Champs needed for a long time. Bravo to all involved...guess I'll actually have to do some work to get a mention in the credits :P