• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Doesn't look like many high-rises.

Maybe not high-rises, but from my visits there I'd say the vast majority of buildings there are at least three stories tall. My first day there I remember staring in awe from the 69th floor observation deck of the Yokohama Landmark Hotel at this urban landscape that literally extended uninterrupted to the horizon and beyond. Even that photo doesn't really do it justice.

(I highly recommend the Yokohama Landmark Hotel, btw. It's a five star hotel in Tokyo but we managed to get some surprisingly affordable rates, perhaps because it was February. And it can't be any more expensive now than it was seven years ago. Plus, from the outside, it looks like some sort of corporate supervillain headquarters.)

Doesn't look like many high-rises.

Quick thought experiment: take a block as 250m x 100m. Take a strip development as 2.5kmx1km; that's roughly 1 square mile, and 100 blocks. Put 3x3 story+penthouse buildings on each block, or 600 buildings/square mile. Put 8 two-bedroom apartments on each floor, or 15,000 apartments/square mile. Put 2.5 people in each apartment.

That's 37,500 people/square mile. New York City has a population density of "only" 26,000 people/square mile, while Manhattan goes up to 67,000. You could leverage up to that total in my thought experiment tract by fitting a fourth building in on each block and going up to 4 stories, never mind doubling up the tenants a bit more in my city of bachelors.

Way, way back at nearly the start of this thread, Doc Anomaly posted a map of medieval Nottinghamshire I'd made in collaberation with fellow gamer and history buff Chris Golden.

I've finally managed to get all my research notes unpacked (5 years in boxes - that's what moving from a low-rent Yorkshire village to a high-rent Middle-Eastern city does!) and got round to doing something I've wanted to do for years.

I added the borders of Sherwood Forest to the map. From the perambulation of AD1218, the earliest one that survives.

Updated map is here.

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:, and that's not enough.

Aside: That there Sutton, is it the one with the Hoo? And Hoo, is that a variant on Howe?

Thank you.

No, it's not Sutton Hoo - that's in Suffolk, IIRC. Sutton is a fairly common placename in England. (A quick google reveals its meaning is 'southern settlement').

I suspect Hoo is a variant on Howe, as Howe is a dialect word for mound or hillock, and the burial mounds at Sutton Hoo were readily visible.

Quick thought experiment: take a block as 250m x 100m. Take a strip development as 2.5kmx1km; that's roughly 1 square mile, and 100 blocks. Put 3x3 story+penthouse buildings on each block, or 600 buildings/square mile. Put 8 two-bedroom apartments on each floor, or 15,000 apartments/square mile. Put 2.5 people in each apartment.

That's 37,500 people/square mile. New York City has a population density of "only" 26,000 people/square mile, while Manhattan goes up to 67,000. You could leverage up to that total in my thought experiment tract by fitting a fourth building in on each block and going up to 4 stories, never mind doubling up the tenants a bit more in my city of bachelors.

Well, yes, but you could stuff a lot more people in a high-rise. :)

OTOH, you could stuff even more in an Arcology. :) :)

If you alloted 64 cubic meters per person, you could fit about 16 million people inside one cubic kilometer.

Parking might be a hassle, though.

A little math tells me that you get a 2x4x8 meter space. Which might make a very small utility apartment.

(oh, two meters tall, four meters wide, eight meters deep. I don't want a apartment two meters wide, four meters deep, and eight meters tall, that's just silly.)

If you alloted 64 cubic meters per person, you could fit about 16 million people inside one cubic kilometer.

Which works out to a count of 437.5 one cubic kilometers, or 7.6~^3 km. Make it 8^3 km and we have a round 512, for 8,192 million people.

If we instead allocate 2*8*16 per person, for 256 m^3, that gets us 2,049 million people in 8^3 km.

The land area of Earth is 148,940,000 km^2. Divide that by 8^2=64 km^2 and you get 2,327,187.5, round down to 2,327,187 Arcologies.

Leave three-quarters of that for untouched wilderness and you get 2,327,187/4 = 581,796.75, round down to 581,796 Arcologies for the Human species.

581,796 Arcologies * 2,049 million people and you get room for 1,192,100,004 million people/total Arcologies, or 1.192 quadrillion people. Of course, we could always just allocate a thousand times more space for everyone and have room for a mere 1.192 trillion people.

The plants and animals, of course, would have more than sufficient space in the other three-quarters.

This is an announcement from Genetic Control:

"It is my sad duty to inform you of a four foot restriction on

humanoid height."

Extract from coversation of Joe Ordinary in Local Puborama

"I hear the directors of Genetic Control have been buying all the

properties that have recently been sold, taking risks oh so bold.

It's said now that people will be shorter in height,

they can fit twice as many in the same building site.

(they say it's alright)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIkoolaJTXI

JoeG

Well, a 10m x 10m x 10m space would allow a million people to live within a 1 cubic km space. At 100x100x100, you'd only have 1000 people, but they'd have a fairly luxurious million cubic meters of space(maybe the size of a large shopping mall). Plenty of room for growing food, having mini-factories, and so forth.

Hmm. The Second Death Star, in my old WEG handbook is assessed to be 160km in diameter. That gives a total volume on the order of over 2 million cubic km(and a mass on the order of several petatons). If only 10% of it were habitable living space, and there were a modest 1000 people per cubic km, that would still allow for berthing of over 200 million passengers. If some of the wilder estimates on the STvSW boards were correct, that number could rise into the billions. So if they had transporter technology, they could beam everyone off planet first, into some kind of massive Alpha Complex type prison, and then destroy the planet.

o.0

64 cubic meters? i.e, a (roughly) 12 foot cube? Is everybody supposed to live an a tiny studio apartment with only the most basic furnishing(s)?

A little math tells me that you get a 2x4x8 meter space. Which might make a very small utility apartment.

(oh, two meters tall, four meters wide, eight meters deep. I don't want a apartment two meters wide, four meters deep, and eight meters tall, that's just silly.)

Being 6'4" tall, I don't want one that is just 2 meters tall. :P