• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

Re: "Neat" Pictures

Well' date=' a 10m x 10m x 10m space would allow a million people to live within a 1 cubic km space. At 100x100x100, you'd only have 1000 people, but they'd have a fairly luxurious million cubic meters of space(maybe the size of a large shopping mall). Plenty of room for growing food, having mini-factories, and so forth.[/quote']

I suspect environmental control will be rather harder than you're used to thinking about. Normal human layouts are 2-dimensional; even skyscrapers tend to have lots of surface area per unit volume. Getting rid of internal heat ... at a dead minimum, 100 watts per human inside ... becomes a problem if you scale too large. You are going to want a lot of volume in ducting, both to recycle the air and to control heat buildup.

I suspect environmental control will be rather harder than you're used to thinking about. Normal human layouts are 2-dimensional; even skyscrapers tend to have lots of surface area per unit volume. Getting rid of internal heat ... at a dead minimum' date=' 100 watts per human inside ... becomes a problem if you scale too large. You are going to want a lot of volume in ducting, both to recycle the air and to control heat buildup.[/quote']

No problem, we just their excess heat as a power source for their computer overlords...

Being that I'm slightly over 2m tall...

I lived in a cottage in the UK; a couple rooms there were a little low, my wife could place her palms on the ceiling. She's 5'1".

My Grandmere used to live upstairs over my Uncle in his house in Maine. I had spent the summer there when I was 12, and about 5'8". I would just pass under a support beam when going down the stairs. Almost 30 years (and 6" of height) later, I was visiting again, and almost brained myself on that beam. Many of the older houses in the area are built small, with low ceilings that I can easily touch and door frames that require me to duck slightly to go through.

JoeG

My Grandmere used to live upstairs over my Uncle in his house in Maine. I had spent the summer there when I was 12, and about 5'8". I would just pass under a support beam when going down the stairs. Almost 30 years (and 6" of height) later, I was visiting again, and almost brained myself on that beam. Many of the older houses in the area are built small, with low ceilings that I can easily touch and door frames that require me to duck slightly to go through.

JoeG

I grew up in a house that my grandfather had added on to. He got most of his windows & doors from junkyards, so we had doors going from 5'6" to 6'8". Every year, I'd have a new door to duck thru. Though my own bedroom door got me when I spent the summer on navy & coast guard ships. Got home thinking no more ducking thru hatches and brained by my 6'4" bedroom door. Apparently I had grown 2" in 2 months.