"Neat" Pictures

Dr. Anomaly

Re: "Neat" Pictures

I have one of these:

s_p_27256_1__42473_zoom.jpg

When I was in the service I worked on a data collection/analysis/redistribution device that used these to store its programs on. Before it could be used every day the tapes had to be loaded in several stations, each the size of a refrigerator, which were, when purchased, highly advanced. Before I worked on it the setup was all giant tape drives and racks of specially-designed "computer circuity", controlled by an old room-sized computer. By the time I started working on it, the room-sized computer part had been replaced with an early general-purpose minicomputer (the size of a washing machine), and numerous operators no longer controlled it through dumb terminals, but through Sun Microsystems workstations (with perhaps 640 kbytes of ram) that each could have run the whole operation independently, but a software rewrite would cost more than the scrap cost of the eliminated equipment, so the core of the system remained an early multi-cabinet computer from the '60s.

• Replies 19.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cygnia

• Logan D. Hurricanes

• Cancer

• SteveZilla

I have one of these:

s_p_27256_1__42473_zoom.jpg

Argh, flashbacks! Around 1990 we learned that 3M Blackwatch™ tape began a self destruction process after about 3 years of age. I spent many hours running those through 9-track tape drives trying to save irreplaceable astronomical and meteorological data. And in between I'd clean the 3M Blackwatch™ residue off the tape heads with alcohol. Good times.

"You are in a maze of twisty little passages' date=' all different."[/quote']

That's going to be my backyard. Any boy that wants to date my daughter will have to make it through the maze. I may breed special creatures to populate the maze to fight the potential suitors, but since all my money will go into the maze I'll probably have to start with a few really nasty geese.

Sorry, but I only count 6 Gremlins, not 72. (Okay, 7 if you count the sticker.)

:P

It's a file publicity photo for the hugely successful "Gremlins '72" show, which ran at the Stardust Hotel here in Vegas. The show was so popular that American Motors named a compact car line after it.

JoeG

World's Toughest Milkman

[ATTACH=CONFIG]44797[/ATTACH]

Lucius Alexander

the palindromedary says, move over Reid Fleming

To give it some context: According to Cracked, this is London, WWII, right after an air raid. If you look to the milkman's left, two firemen are engaged in dousing a fire as the milkman picks his way through the rubble to make his deliveries.

Lucius Alexander

And the world's toughest palindromedary

World's Toughest Milkman

attachment.php?attachmentid=44797&d=1348973419

The Milkman, Kenora, Ontario, Canada, Gestalt of Milk. Every morning in Kenora Ontario, since February 24, 1994, a mysterious white milk truck appears out of nowhere at 6:12 a.m. and delivers bottles of milk to households within a one-mile radius, free of charge. When the milk has been tested, it’s been found to be low-fat, tasty, and extremely nutritious. Examinations of humans and animals who drink this milk show improved health. Laboratory attempts to reproduce this milk have yielded normal milk.

The Milkman rarely speaks with anyone, except a few paperboys and early risers with whom he is polite but highly formal. The Milkman is obviously a pure gestalt. No one knows where he goes when he finishes his deliveries.