Liefeld's Titans

hooligan x

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Liefeld's Titans

I wish my crotch was as big as Wondergirl's.

pg32 & 33. Wristbands? Check! Lasso? Check! Huge man-junk package? Check and Check!

Oooo... looks like Wondergirl's going in next to Soul Caliber's Talim under "Women with Suspicious Pants Packages." :ugly:

I'm still giggling over this. :snicker:

Other issues with the "art" of Liefeld.

What the hell happened to the women's backs, you'd think Bane pulled a back breaker on each and every one of them considering how the spine is bent.

Robin's eyes must be 1/4 of an inch across given the size of the eye openings in his mask.

How many expressions can the man draw, 1 maybe 2?

Wonder Girl isn't the only woman packing something down the front of her tights.

What is the deal with Liefeld and big honking equipment pouches?

I have not been an admirer of Liefeld's art since Hawk and Dove. (The inking of Kesel helped immensely) But I will admit that his work does look better than it has previously. This is based off of the few titans pics that I have seen. I do not buy the title. He is not a draw to me but having said that, the man is in the industry and he still finds work. So what is he doing that we are not?

In Liefeld's defense at least you see a couple of the charaters' feet in the books.

Liefeld is awesome at totally destroying and misrepresenting all aspects of human anatomy and THEN, not showing feet. They usually were hidden by terrain and other stuff.

Also... I think he split away, FINALLY, from his standard format team...

* Old grizzled veteran that usually was huge in comparison to other

characters.

* Short, "brick" character

* Mega Huge "kind hearted" character

* Hip and cool, with a touch of edgy long haired character.Usually the

close-combat character.

* Young female with unearthly body who was eye candy for readers

and teammates.

I believe I have covered all the characters in all his teams.

I LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE IT!

I've never knowingly encountered Rob Liefeld before, but I've loved the Teen Titans since the mid-80s. And personally, I think Mr Liefeld's done a wonderful job with his new images of the team. His Titans look magnificent, powerful, larger than life; they look like demigods!

In an era when too many comicbook artists are making a mockery of the heroes they're drawing -- based either on their attempt to "reinterpret" the characters, or their basic hatred of superhero comicbook characters -- it's good to see Mr Liefeld taking his heroes so seriously.

I don't think Mr Liefeld's illustrations are any more stylized than is usual with comicbook supers. (As if, say, George Perez or Dave Cockrum never drew a stylized illustration of a character!) I also didn't notice the flaws most posters objected to most strenuously; small hands and feet, extra teeth, taut muscles.

And as far as large boobs are concerned, I don't agree that Mr Liefeld has Double-D Disease. As I'm an adult woman and the unfortunate possessor of a rather large frontage, I always look with suspicion at the bust-lines drawn on female superheroes. And Mr Liefeld's ladies didn't bother me. At all.

I think that Mr Liefeld's work is so dynamic, so energetic and full of motion that the characters (particularly Robin and Wonder Girl) leap to life on the page. Mr Liefeld's "larger-than-life" style is well-suited to the Teen Titans, a league of godlike young heroes for whom the sky's the limit, and I'm glad to have him illustrating their adventures.

Remember, you asked...

Sorry, all. She asked.

Arrrrgggg!!! I had blissfully forgotten that one. It does, however, nicely "illustrate" Liefield's problem as an artist: Like many of his generation in the industry, he's drawing people but has absolutely no idea how the human body is shaped.

Maybe an anatomy class would help...

Don't mean to be ingenuous, but I don't see it; the "man boobs", I mean. Certainly Mr Liefeld has drawn Captain America with a chest like a barrel, but I'd say that's in keeping with the concept of the character as a muscular super-soldier and physically perfect human being. A bit exaggerated, perhaps, but this is _Captain America_! He should be barrel-chested and slab-sided.

Thanks for the pic in question, Dave.

It’s a homage to ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics! You remember, with the body facing you, but the arms and head twisted 90’!

Actually, it’s not so much he’s got an enormous rack, as that his head is growing out of his right shoulder. I think the INTENTION was to have him in a heroic, 3/4 view, and then he drew the head in the wrong place, was too lazy to fix it/didn’t notice, and just put the back in based on where the head is.

Or, as likely, he was trying to light-table two different pictures together that didn’t quite fit.

Speaking of Liefield and ‘homages,’ there was a great web page that had various ‘Homage, Rip Off, or Coincidence’ panels from different comics, with the original and the later one next to each other, and you could vote which you thought it was.

Liefeld had more than his share, but they weren’t all his.

Anyway, this sent me looking for it, but I lost the link. Anyone know where the page is?

---

“If you take away cartoonists license to steal, where will they get their ideas?â€

Yes, I'm for real. I've been here for years, lurking, collecting pics and occasionally interjecting unpopular comments. I'm the one that wrote the anti-Liberal rant on the NGD Board some time back...ringing any bells yet?

And yes, I really do like Liefeld's work on Titans.

Didn't say you weren't real, just wondering if you were serious. :)

And, ugh, as I said, to each their own.