The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

• 2 weeks later...

Got a call a few minutes ago from somebody claiming to be from the "computer support department", and that my computer had been reporting serious errors to their server. I played along, and was (oh, so slowly) taken to the event viewer, where he attempted to show me errors, and where I confused him by reporting stuff that I knew wasn't on his script. Unfortunately, he'd speak quieter when flustered, and I needed to ask him to repeat himself or talk louder several times, making messing with him less and less fun. I finally told him that I repaired computers for a living, and I then heard bits of a discussion between him and someone else, before the line went dead.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I started reading InterWorld by Neil Gaiman and Michael Reaves on the recommendation of a customer at The Book Cellar who told me it reminded her of The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny and came across this line:

I immediately looked for the street sign, which said we were on the corner of Sheckley Boulevard and Simak Street.

I was so happy that I laughed out loud. It's great to see the new breed acknowledge the past masters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Raiders managed to piss off Sheldon Adelson enough to get him to pull out of the Las Vegas stadium project. With any luck, the rest of it will implode as well, and the Raiders will extort a stadium from some other city.

http://news3lv.com/news/local/adelson-family-out-of-project-for-stadium-targeted-for-raiders-relocation

Tonight, while looking for something else, I found a file I knew I had made 10ish years ago but had lost.

43 pages, single spaced, almost 17,000 words of dialog, debate, research notes, and analysis I had done on Psalm 22 with most citations complete enough to find again in academic tools if needed!

Giddy! SO MUCH WIN!

• 2 weeks later...

Three band-tailed pigeons in the tops of a couple of Douglas firs a block down from my house when I got home yesterday. They're native birds, though I see them only occasionally, and I hadn't seen more than one at a time before. A casual observer might not tell them from the common (introduced) rock doves, except by their habit of perching in large evergreen trees (which I have never seen a rock dove do); then hauling out the binoculars and the field guide you can tell that's what they are.