The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

My 3 month doctor visit was today. Blood pressure was 110/70, which is one of the best readings that I've ever had. The fancy scale that calculates fat and muscle mass shows me down 12 pounds since last time, and it calculated that 10 pounds of that was fat mass lost. My doctor will text me sometime next week with the results of my A1C test, which he expects to come in below 6. 

One of the goals going into this year was to watch the Giro d'Italia highlights, Tour de France coverage and highlights and Vuelta highlights on TV. One channel had the two latter but I missed finding the third, the Giro, and only caught up on it half way through. This year I knew what channels and the dates. Then the virus struck. No Grand Tours or postponed. And then the Tour was run followed by the Giro and Vuelta which overlapped. And I got to see them all.

True two of the people I would have wanted to be in them were taken out but other people and teams stepped up. And one person I expected to see dominate in the Tour certainly was eclipsed. Peter Sagan did not win the Green Jersey at the Tour de France and had not won any race for 15 months. And he went into the Giro and scored a stage win which was not done in his typical style. But it was done with panache.

The Tour was won by a newcomer but lost by a guy who had been in contention until the time trial on the penultimate day.

The Giro was won by Team Ineos who lost their main rider in a crash/accident and then set about taking on the race to win the most stages they had ever won at a single Grand Tour and also the winner of the race itself.

Lastly the Vuelta was taken on by the same team who missed out on the Tour de France as their main guy won it last year and he managed to win it this year as well by 24 seconds.

All three were won with the second place being under a minute behind which is the closest I can recall seeing.

So 2020 may have stolen the Olympics from me but I got to see all three Grand Tours and am happy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cried for joy this morning.

My old undergrad mentor and subsequent postdoc advisor went into hospital last November, age 90 at the time, with a non-COVID malady that had the potential to be terminal.  I'd heard nothing since then.

Got a science-related email from him a few minutes ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...