The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Youngest niece turned four today. Almost everyone in the family turned out for the birthday party. The little farmstead was as lovely as ever, and the weather matched it. The meadow was used at a pitch for an improvised soccer game; I don't think anyone won, but then again no-one really lost, either. Some amusing and mildly droll injuries. Delicious strawberry-and-whipped-cream cake starred for the fika. We strolled through the woods, looking for beavers. Beavers were a no-show, but we found their den by the big drainage ditch on the neighbor's land.

I love my family.

We have found a new place to live. It's an older unit, but well-maintained and in a good neighborhood. It's also the least outrageously expensive place we've found. We'll start moving in on June 15th, which will give us two full weeks to get the old place emptied and cleaned out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going back over 7 years when i was in London I backed a Kickstarter project because it was Superhero based and had Storn Cook art in it. Now because I had to move I did not think my address details caught up on the project even though I changed them. I got the PDF so I was ok. I thought that the printed book went to London instead of getting to me. So I wrote it off. Bearing in mind I spent a lot of money on the Bones Kickstarters amongst others it was chicken feed. This morning in the post I got the book. Out of the blue. I am chuffed.

On Deviantart, one of the guys that I follow posted a picture of a whale skeleton hung up in the Natural History Museum. I said that the outside was really worth photographing and that next time he was anywhere near it he should 'make it so' and photograph it. Lo and behold he posted a picture yesterday of the outside of the building and quoted me on the description. I am well chuffed. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had turned off call filtering on my work cell phone yesterday to be able to receive a call from a new co-worker, and I forgot to turn it back on.

This morning, I received two calls in rapid succession from a number claiming to be from Ely, NV*, and I decided to answer it. I was greeted by a gentleman with a thick accent asking if he was talking to Zahood Beeblebrox. I laughed and said, "I think you mean 'Zaphod Beeblebrox', he's the President of the Galaxy in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I think you've been had." He then hung up the call.

Several years back, I used to see how long I could keep the credit card scammers on the line, and at least one of the times, I gave the name of Zaphod Beeblebrox to an agent. It's good to see that their CRM list is suitably poisoned.

*These call centers spoof "local" numbers in order to try to get people to pick up. In this case, they chose a community that's over 200 miles north of me, and with a listed population of a little less than 4000 people.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2022 at 11:04 AM, Ternaugh said:

This morning, I received two calls in rapid succession from a number claiming to be from Ely, NV*, and I decided to answer it. 

I've been to Ely, Nevada. My Granny used to live there, decades ago.

• 2 weeks later...

At my high school, kids can form school affiliated clubs as long as they can get a teacher to sign off as sponsor—meaning, for the most part, they provide a classroom where the kids can meet after school.

One of my former students came in today at lunch and asked if I would be sponsor for the D&D Club he's forming. I told him it would be my pleasure.

(Does this mean that I'm going to wait until they've developed a false sense of security, and then say, "Hey, let me talk to you about this other game I know..."? Maybe.)

The British Isles species behaves quite differently from the North American varieties.  Like robins in England vs robins in Illinois, or buzzards in England versus buzzards in Texas.  And the behavioral differences between English bustards (they actually died out there, can you believe it?) and the US variety (we spell the name differently) are amazing.