Between Two Cities

Hermit

Okay, I've done threads yakking about cities and super heroes before. Now, I'm wondering, if a super hero team wanted to nestle between two (relatively) close decently sized cities, what pairing would be a good one? One that comes to mind for the East Coast is Baltimore/Washington D.C. But I was wondering what you folks would suggest for other regions of the United States, and why you think it would work?

Re: Between Two Cities

Well, if you had to pick on the West Coast, it'd almost have to be L.A./San Diego. A couple of big cities there, with plenty of international action. You have military bases of different varieties (Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force); terrain (desert, mountain, ocean, plains, hills); rich history for the two places; international business; Hollywood; close to Mexican border...I'm running out, but you get the idea.

I'd also consider Mobile, Alabama & Pensacola, FL for a good Southern-based team. Or, alternately, something between New Orleans, LA and Gulfport (or Biloxi), Mississippi. Good locations for the Southern states, IMO.

Midwest...hmm. Kansas City, Kansas, and Kansas City, Missouri. You could go a little farther west and drop something between Cheyenne, Wyoming, and Boulder/Denver, Colorado.

In the Northwest I'd pick Vancouver, Washington, and Portland, Oregon, but there ain't much up there. I mean, if'n ya had to, that's probably where I'd put 'em.

Minneapolis-St. Paul would be a good location for a Great Lakes regional team.

Without looking at a map that's the best I can do. I'm tryin' to do this from memory.

I'd say Oakland/San Francisco' date=' but that would put you under water :)[/quote']

The Protectors were located in the Bay, but their base floated (though it had levels underwater as well).

A team being in Arlington or Irving, Texas would work well for Dallas/Fort Worth. Actually, any in the HEB (Hurst, Euless, Bedford) could work as well. Perhaps somewhere between Houston and Galveston, but I'm not as familiar with that area.

L.A. and San Diego for most of the pre suggested reasons. Thats where I based my groups hangout on a decommisioned Oil drilling platform. There was also the issue that super bases always come under attack and the pcs wanted isolation to avoid spillover casualties.

In the Champions U., I'd also suggest Chicago and Millenium City or some thing similar with Hudson city, Vibora bay and or Plainesville.

In Texas: Dallas/Fort Worth.

I had a campaign (around 1991-1992) that took place in Middle City, directly between Dallas and Fort Worth. It was basically the Hurst-Euless-Bedford area combined into a single campaign city, fictionalized in the same way Metropolis is basically New York.

I eventually renamed it to Middleton, Texas, to make the name a bit more realistic. Regardless, Dallas/Fort Worth is an excellent choice, because the two cities are fairly close together - less than an hour's drive away from each other.

There's got to be something good on the Canadian/US border' date=' though I'm not geographically inclined.[/quote']

Windsor / Detroit (or Millenium City)

Vancouver / Seattle

Niagara Falls is already on both sides of the border. Also close to Buffalo, not too far from Toronto.

You could go a little farther west and drop something between Cheyenne' date=' Wyoming, and Boulder/Denver, Colorado.[/quote']

A better choice here would be Colorado Springs and Denver Metro Area. Base them out of Castle Rock (heck, turn the stupid chunk of rock INTO the base, now that'd be cool....)

Many a good suggestions so far but...

Have you considered Chicago and Milwaukee? Milwaukee is a den of stinkin evil, beer and cheese, if ever I've seen one. And Chicago needs no introduction. You could easily put a super base in Gurnee, IL as it is close to a half way point. They already have a fantastic outlet mall and a fabulous amusement park!

Boston/NYC, they're only 3-6 hours apart by car depending on what parts you are driving to.

TB

Base them out of Providence and you've covered a third city. Prov is slightly closer to Boston (45min away or so) then NYC, but if the Hero's go "As the Crow Flies" to NYC it's only about 2 hours max (or less if moving at Super Speed!).

Basing the team out of NJ some where or NYC could easily cover the entire BoWash corridor given a fast enough Team Jet.

Why just limit it to two cities? When I was starting out, all of our adventures took place in the Quad-Cities! (Davenport & Bettendorf, Iowa plus Moline and Rock Island, Illinois. On top of that, the Twin Cities, Chicago, Des Moines and St. Louis were all within a quick flight of the team's Valkyrie jumpjet.

Vancouver BC and Seattle are probably too far apart, as are Portland OR and Seattle. The Puget Sound area has several good-size but definitely second-rank cities in it ... Tacoma, Everett, Olympia, Bellevue that most people might assume a Seattle-based supers group would "service".

Ten minutes at Mach 1 ... about 125 miles ... might be an effective maximum service radius for a supers team. Sonic booms are bad form, and 10 minutes makes a handy fiducial limit for waiting time.

Baltimore/Washington DC(as has been mentioned)

If you put a team in Kalamazoo, MI(home to my alma mater, Western Michigan University) you're about 2 hours away from both Chicago and Detroit(now Millenium City in Champs)

Minneapolis/St. Paul makes sense.

I could see using Philadelphia as a base of operations and being within an hour or two of most of the major New England cities like Boston, New York or Baltimore(you couldn't drive it, but hey, super heroes don't take the bus, they fly)

Out west, Dallas is central enough in Texas to put you close to the other major cities in Texas(not to mention New Orleans and Oklahoma City)

San Diego and Los Angeles/Anaheim makes sense

Oakland/San Francisco could work

Seattle might be good, close to Vancouver, not far from Portland

Again, I'm thinking along the lines of an hour or two away as the crow flies.

Out west' date=' Dallas is central enough in Texas to put you close to the other major cities in Texas(not to mention New Orleans and Oklahoma City)[/quote']

Just to clarify, Dallas/Fort Worth are central in North Texas. Austin is more central Texas, and that's about a 4-5 hour drive away, depending on which city you're leaving from (and not during any rush hour). (Though the panhandle is even farther north than DFW, but it's also farther west.)

A possibility if one wanted to do sort of a sendup to the old JLA headquarters (a cave outside a small/medium sized city), One can base a group in Warren, Ohio (although there aren't any caves in the area that I know of.) You would then be within 120 miles of Cleveland, Ohio; Erie,PA; and Pittsburgh, PA.

(It could also be interesting as Cleveland and Pittsburgh have an active rivalry as one can see in their football rivalry.)

Also, if one wanted an underwater base there are several salt mines under Lake Erie.

If you want to keep it on a smaller scale, Springfield, MA and Hartford, CT are only about a 25 minute drive apart. They’re both clearly cities, but not metropolises.

And believe you me, they both need a superhero team. Desperately. Springfield’s a corrupt hive of scum and villainy. Hartford’s a corrupt hive of scum, villainy, and insurance companies.

New Haven or Hartford puts you within easy driving distance of Boston and NY, two big ‘symbolic’ metropolis, with at least half a dozen other major cities in the same range, and it’s just a bit further away to Philly and Baltimore.

“The I-91 Avengers†doesn’t have quite the ring to it, though.

---

Actually, pretty much anywhere in New England, except for the more rural parts of western MA and Maine, is within an hour of at least two major cities. :)