Character write-ups should include QUOTES

Haven Walkur

People frequently post character write-ups to the HERO boards. I applaud their work, while ruefully acknowledging the kind of time and effort required to create characters in the HERO system. These submissions are often detailed and precise, and some display a great deal of thought and attention -- but I've yet to see any author give his or her character a QUOTE.

Why is this?

-Does the idea of a character quote seem too clichéd?

-Is creating a quote too difficult, after sweating for hours over the rest of the character's write-up?

-Does nobody else think that a quote is a significant part of a write-up?

-Is the quote just a useless bit of verbiage that only serves to complicate the write-up?

-Has nobody else ever found a character quote useful as a "personality hint" for roleplaying an NPC?

Re: Character write-ups should include QUOTES

Haven, I've only posted a few characters to the boards, but I just recently posted two to the First quasi-Manual, Demi-Annual, Homegrown Mod Contest! both of which have quotes.

Occasionally it is quite difficult to come up with a good quote for a character. I try to have one for every character I create, because as you suggested, it can be a hint as to the personality and or mentality of a character.

Yes. It also seems trite, and lends to a tendency to paint a character as a two-dimensional characture rather than the three-dimensional person I try to make my characters become.

-Is creating a quote too difficult, after sweating for hours over the rest of the character's write-up?

No. The problem is still that selecting _a_ defining quote for a character is akin to summing up a movie in a single simple sentence. Sure, it can be done, but in the long run, it detracts far more than it adds.

I don't. I can only answer for me, of course-- I should have said so sooner, I suppose: none of these answers are intended to represent any opinons that are not my own. Perhaps a list of quotes, or even a 'typical day' type write-up would give a better idea of a character's psyche, but I find a single quote to be limiting, as it not only shows off at best one aspect of a personality, it also, by virtue of being the aspect selected, suggests that this single aspect is somehow the most definitive part of the character's personality.

-Is the quote just a useless bit of verbiage that only serves to complicate the write-up?

I wouldn't go that far. It's fine for NPCs and villains, at least for a quick leg-up into developing a personality for them. But for the PCs, again.... well, see above.

-Has nobody else ever found a character quote useful as a "personality hint" for roleplaying an NPC?

Again, for NPCs, it's an excellent starting point. I don't like them much for PCs.

I tend to have a hard time with quotes because they depend so much upon the situation and context. Considering two of my characters who are somewhat polar opposites:

Lady Silver is a real left wing bleeding heart who pretty much defines compassion, yet she can get very angry or intolerant. Witness a conversation between her and the Patriarch and you'd never know that she had a Psych Limit: Compassionate or Code vs Killing.

Nova is a far more extreme character whose only constraint against killing are the laws of society and the actions of her comrades. Yet despite having a Psych Limit of Hates Criminals, she fell in love with a super villain and was very tender and distraught when he died in her arms.

Taking quotes from the above situations, you'd think that they are very different from what they tend to be, hence the difficulty in getting a really good quote. In addition, most of my real good quotes suck without the context anyway.

I think it adds color to the character. Sadly it's hard to come up with good Quotations.

But if you can come up with a gem like "It's Clobberin' Time!" or "Hulk is Strongest One There Is!" or the like, it's really cool.

One thing a quotation does is clue in the reader as to how the character expresses itself. Perhaps a piece of dialogue would be better for some characters instead of a simple quoted statement. Imagine a situation that brings into account your character's interests or concerns and have them express themselves about it.

While I like character Quotes, and sometimes they help me figure out a voice for the character upon creating them there are times it just doesn't work.

I've got one character for whom no quote would really do them justice, I kludged one onto the sheet, but every time I read it I go "heh, I don't think they'd ever actually say that."

I don't think it's an integral part of the character by any means. And if I skip that particular line I don't sweat it.

I can't imagine doing a character write-up without a quote. Or six.
I'm kind of the same way. Even in the character's I've had published in DH, I often have to restrain myself from including three or four quotes and a brief discussion on the character's speech habits.

Usually, I like to fill in the quote line with something my character has actully said in game. Obviously, if I'm posting a brand new character, that is not possible and I would have to make something up as a place holder, so I don't usually bother unless I have a nice catch phrase or something already thought up.

While I don't think that most characters can be (or should be) summed up in a single pithy sentence, I almost always include a quote as a "quick handle" to get a grip on the character. When you read a character's quote, it will tend to cause you to start to form an impression about the character, their personality, and their way of dealing with the world. The description should of course include a more detailed write-up of their motivations and expectations, but for me a character quote is like a seed crystal dropped in a supersaturated solution...it starts the formation process right away. :)

I have a very hard time coming up with a quote for a character without playing that character a few times. No matter how concrete my character concept, running the concept through the lapidary of experience always brings out a better polish than I could build into it at its origin.

I have a quote in the last character I posted, Sleepwalker, in the Modding thread. It's a cheeky little quip based around a disadvantage she has that other people believe she's a brain eating zombie.

Personally, I rarely included quotes for any of the PCs that I have created in the past...heck, rarely for the NPCs either.

The reason for this has to do with not to "pigeon-hole" the character, and forcing a cliche'd response, which many times are not appropriate. Mostly, I find that "catchphrases/quotes" develop in gameplay. After they have had time to establish these traits...then I will add a "catchphrase/quote" to the character's background.

Witty "catchphrases/quotes" usually develop on the "spur of the moment"...they're spontaneous. They usually aren't planned out, and become part of the character's lexicon of language far later.

I'm kind of the same way. Even in the character's I've had published in DH' date=' I often have to restrain myself from including three or four quotes and a brief discussion on the character's speech habits.[/quote']

That would be far more useful. One of the notes on Neil Gaiman's Marvel: 1602 noted that the modern day Thor uses semi-Shakespearean speech patterns. To keep the same feel, his Thor speaks in Anglo-Saxon-style alliterative verse. Brilliant.

Keith "A quote in every post" Curtis

People frequently post character write-ups to the HERO boards. I applaud their work, while ruefully acknowledging the kind of time and effort required to create characters in the HERO system. These submissions are often detailed and precise, and some display a great deal of thought and attention -- but I've yet to see any author give his or her character a QUOTE.

Why is this?

I don't like quotes that much. As a GM, a quote gives a voice that is often hard to get down. I have some examples of how he speaks and this restricts my window of approach if I want to be true to the character. As a designer, creating quotes is difficult. It isn't like you have played the character before. You need to make up a mock situation and put down a quote and for some characters, the quotes begin to sound the same.

That is my personal opinion on the matter.

I always put at least one quotation on my sheet for flavor. I find it's a way for me to let the GM have a little taste of personality.

By the way--it *is* quotation, not quote. Quote is a verb. Quotation is a noun. I've been trying to impress that fact on my students, to little avail thusfar.

Yes, Speedball, you're right; it should have been "quotation". But how formal are we to be on the HERO Boards? I confess to having a more informal 'voice' when writing here than when writing for [fervently crossing fingers] publication.

A usage note on "quotation", from the American Heritage Dictionary: As a transitive verb, quote is appropriately used to describe the use of an exact wording drawn from another source...the noun quote is well established as a truncation of quotation, though many critics regard it as unduly journalistic or breezy. As such, it is best avoided in formal literary discussions...the usage is less objectionable in informal contexts or in reference to less august sources...[than, for example, the Bible]*.

And while I know some Champions players regard their character write-ups as holy writ, I don't think this qualifies as an 'august source' demanding formal English....

*paranthetical notation mine. Anyone wishing to have the unedited quotation may PM me.

...By the way--it *is* quotation' date=' not quote...[/quote']

... A usage note on "quotation"' date=' from the American Heritage Dictionary: As a transitive verb, quote is appropriately used to describe the use of an exact wording drawn from another source...the noun quote is well established as a truncation of quotation, ...[/quote']

:rolleyes: Lawyers. ;)

If you can find it, and it will NOT be easy, look for collections of an old cartoon strip by Sam Hurt titled "Eyebeam". The title character was a law student and then lawyer.

(And to take any possible sting out of it ... my wife's a non-practicing attorney. :) )