Mystic Team Vehicle?

CrosshairCollie

After my present gaming project mini-series/limted series, whatever you want to call it, I'm thinking about doing Mystic Champions ... standard Champs U but with mystic/magic/supernatural enemies and heroes instead of the standard supers.

Now, typically, with a superteam, you can reasonably expect three things before you can really call yourself a team: a headquarters, a means of interteam communications, and a method of conveyance.

A headquarters is easy ... a sanctum or fastness or transdimensional room behind a bookcase, a manor house, anything'll work. The communications are fairly easy too ... assuming nobody takes a Mind Link ability or spell, some little 'soul-link' trinkets are (point-wise) cheap and easy.

But what about a team vehicle? I can't really think of anything mystical that doesn't border on being too campy, like a giant Flying Carpet or Apollo's Chariot. There is a temptation to make the PCs deal with it in some way (such as making someone create a mass fly spell or somesuch), but I tend to be generous with things that amount to 'helping the GM get the PCs to the plot' stuff. :)

My only other thought is a teleport gate that takes a little time to set up and activate, so the PCs can't use it as an easy 'retreat out of combat' move, and wards could prevent the PCs from just dropping into the middle of the DEMONlair ...

Anybody else ever tried to deal with this?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Mystic Team Vehicle?

I usually would use something like a gate for a mystic team ... if you need a vehicle, just use something normal, but have it mystically powered and designed ...for example:

• A Jet that has no entrance or exit. Upon closer examination, it's not a jet, but some kind of hybrid creature that opens when its master deams so.

• A Black Caddy that has more room on the inside than what it look on the outside.

• A Green van that was once used by a bunch of kids and a dog

Okay .. so the last one was a joke, but the other two could easily be adapted for a magic team :)

You could consider a somewhat normal vehicle, that happens to be magically powered, and may have modes of movement that would not be normally associated with that type of vehicle. Some examples might be: the flying, invisible Ford from Harry Potter, (stretching the SFX a little, somebody said advanced technology might be equivalent to magic) the jet-car from the first Men in Black, if you ever read "Shadowrun" books, in one of the stories in "Wolf and Raven" there was a luxury yacht that was basically the physical manifestation of a very powerful spirit. You could also go all Victorian magic/tech with a base/transport like the airship from the end of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (vol I, trade). Sure it's powered/supported by "Cavorite", but a similar construction could be powered/supported by an ensorcelled chunk of gemstone, orichalcum, purest gold, the heart of a dragon, whatever. You could also go a magical creature route and have a group follower/member who happens to be a dragon or similar creature capable of carrying the whole group. If they are a follower they might be bound to serve, but unable to engage in combat due to the terms of their binding.

Hope that helps some.

What about Ley line travel or Synchronicity/Kismet sites, or a magic mirror, or gateway

Ley Line: They have to travel via the Ley or Dragon line to a destination. The Ley lines don’t take a person directly there but they will take them so a place close to there. Also maybe magic and magic villains work close to these areas since they are batteries of great magical power

Synchronicity/Kismet: The characters can only travel to places that are auspices and have the right type of energy there. Like synchronicity they only arrive at places they are SUPPOSE to be at a particular time. This is a great plot device since they will be snatched at in opportune times to places where they are needed.

The Magic Mirror: The players look into the magic mirror and see where they need to go. They walk through the mirror and arrive at the location. When they want to return they need a reflective surface to walk through and arrive safe at their sanctum.

The Gate Way: An old man that lives on a hill like in the X-men comic. He teleports the player where they NEED to go. He doesn’t speak to the players and he is very enigmatic. He doesn’t take them to where they want to travel but where the cosmic forces ordain they should

How about a fairy ring?

The players step into a ring of toadstools and dance till the landscape around them changes. When they step out of the ring time has passed and they are near the location of the trouble. They must leave small trinkets in the ring for the fey who helped them get to the location

Or magic boots?

The Legion of Super Heroes had flight rings why not give the players boots of Seven League Stride? In 7 steps the players could be in any location.

After my present gaming project mini-series/limted series, whatever you want to call it, I'm thinking about doing Mystic Champions ... standard Champs U but with mystic/magic/supernatural enemies and heroes instead of the standard supers.

Now, typically, with a superteam, you can reasonably expect three things before you can really call yourself a team: a headquarters, a means of interteam communications, and a method of conveyance.

A headquarters is easy ... a sanctum or fastness or transdimensional room behind a bookcase, a manor house, anything'll work. The communications are fairly easy too ... assuming nobody takes a Mind Link ability or spell, some little 'soul-link' trinkets are (point-wise) cheap and easy.

But what about a team vehicle? I can't really think of anything mystical that doesn't border on being too campy, like a giant Flying Carpet or Apollo's Chariot. There is a temptation to make the PCs deal with it in some way (such as making someone create a mass fly spell or somesuch), but I tend to be generous with things that amount to 'helping the GM get the PCs to the plot' stuff. :)

My only other thought is a teleport gate that takes a little time to set up and activate, so the PCs can't use it as an easy 'retreat out of combat' move, and wards could prevent the PCs from just dropping into the middle of the DEMONlair ...

Anybody else ever tried to deal with this?

In the book, On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony, Death literally rides a horse. However, the horse can transform into a pale limosine, boat, and various other types of vehicles.

BTW, I recommend that one series by Anthony if not much else.

I'm working on a Mystic game also right now so I'm running into the same problem. In my case I'm trying not to combine magic and technology so I can't use that solution.

Archon

- A real dragon who just happens to be extremely cowardly so he never assists in combat, he just gets them where they want to go really fast.

- A skyship (blimp or actual ship). The neat part of this ship is that it is also the team base. Giving the added storyline of a mobile base.

- One of the team members has mystical teleportation powers, one of his abilities involves creating large portals. The catch is that it takes him extra time to create portals large enough for 6 or more people.

- One of the members carries a 'shadow cloak' (or similar device, perhaps a portable hole). Walking into the device takes you to an interdimensional realm (perhaps the plane of shadow). Time is greatly sped up in this realm compared to your normal dimension. When you exit the time elapsed is much less than it should be. That way it doesn't qualify as instantaneous teleportation.

- A mystic form of the 'Matrix' phone booth. Somewhat similar to the 'mirror' idea presented above, the teleportation or other such movement occurs only through certain types of objects. Such as mirrors, oak trees, phone booths, bodies of water, clocks, etc.

- If you think a chariot is too cheesy, how about a renaissance style horse and carriage?

An obelisk that is larger on the inside than it is the outside. While it has no obvious doors, one of the sides has a symbol depecting the shape of one. Those who touch it, pass through instantly into the interior. Within, there is a symbol on the floor (be it pentagram, spiral, whatever) with a cyrstal in the center. By concentrating on the crystal, the 'guide' (Pilot) may visualize a location. The others sit around the symbol, and feel an odd sensation of being not, which soon passes.

To the outside world, this obelisk has just vanished from the base, and appeared out of nowhere in the new location. Perhaps it materilizes slowly, or in a glow. Perhaps it seems to jut up from the ground as if it has bored its way to the surface (yet it leads no mark or debris).

Then the heroes step out of the Obelisk to face whatever danger awaits.

(Clairvoyance is frowned on by some GMs, but that and megascale teleportation can work wonders)

the strange mariner from my strange defenders had quite a cool mystical vehicle a haunted galleon that other than the obvious fire bolt cannons ghostly crew and mystical laboratories/library had the power to sail to any piece of water big enough to fit it ( basically a teleport/extra dimensional movement with some extra time and requiring a navigation roll and sailing roll)

The heroes could ride the local fauna, by Transforming into insect-sized versions of themselves (technically Shrinking, but it's too expensive to get that small with Shrinking), and using Mind Control or Telepathy to hitch a ride on a handy varmint or bird. Not a vehicle per se, but a mode of transport that is mystical, kinda funky, and subject to manipulation/interference by NPCs (read: GM).

Though I do admit a fondness for some small focus which can be used by any mystic to create a teleport gate for himself by working a short ritual. Maybe limited to a few locations, but that's neatly handled in Teleport. Plus, the foci can be stolen/lost as a plot device. Again, not a true vehicle.

Okay, here's one vehicle: a fully rigged sailing ship that flies. Complete with colorful crewmen and a 40-gun broadside even - or, if you prefer medieval flavor, a flying Viking longship (didn't one of the Norse gods have one of those in mythology?).

the strange mariner from my strange defenders had quite a cool mystical vehicle a haunted galleon that other than the obvious fire bolt cannons ghostly crew and mystical laboratories/library had the power to sail to any piece of water big enough to fit it ( basically a teleport/extra dimensional movement with some extra time and requiring a navigation roll and sailing roll)

That's grand, but perhaps a bit ostentatious for a beginning superteam - and perhaps too costly in Character Points. Not to mention bulky to park. ;) Nothing wrong with the idea of an enchanted boat that flies, though - there's enough of them in various legends. Something resembling a period longboat or launch, perhaps even with oars and sales.

In the book, On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony, Death literally rides a horse. However, the horse can transform into a pale limosine, boat, and various other types of vehicles.

BTW, I recommend that one series by Anthony if not much else.

I'm working on a Mystic game also right now so I'm running into the same problem. In my case I'm trying not to combine magic and technology so I can't use that solution.

Archon

In another book in the same series, the characters rode around in the fish that swallowed Jonah IIRC--it was invisible and capable of intangibly swimming through ground or air. And had room for lots of passengers!

Kawaiii~~!

Another idea: a Ford Model T, well-kept and polished. Chugs along at a stately 40 mph. However, it still only takes it about half an hour to get anywhere in the world...For added strangeness, have it take the normal time to get anywhere withing 20 miles (half-hour at 40mph) but then the time drops off as you go further away (so the other side of the world is only 5 minutes, say)

Also, given that comic book magicians frequently use all sorts of platonic solids as motifs, you could just have a sphere, tetrahedron or the like as a vehicle. Get in, and it flys off. (Dr. Strange sometimes does something like this, if he has passengers).

A Matrix-like hall of doors could work well.

For mages with a darker power theme, maybe they can find the hidden entrances to the underworld and get passage along the river styx?

Another idea you could poach: In Steven King's Dark Tower series, their are a number of magic doors that can be used to access different places, dimensions, or times. However, many only lead to certain places/times--others are not wholly reliable. And others are guarded. Perhaps the players could gain access to some of these doors, allowing them passage to certain places easily, and some with greater difficulty? Over time, they could learn of more of these doors (perhaps they can't be found magically for some reason?) and make passage pacts with guardians, thus increasing their mobility?

How about a dirigible? Just one that doesn't require fuel. Or wind. :)

Modify the (DC Comics) Boom Tube, making it take a full turn to activate, as well as stays open for a full turn or two.

But for a travelling base, I'd think of something like Baba Yaga's Hut. A "hut" that travels on chicken legs, with the inside much larger than the outside.

You could consider a somewhat normal vehicle, that happens to be magically powered, and may have modes of movement that would not be normally associated with that type of vehicle. Some examples might be: the flying, invisible Ford from Harry Potter, (stretching the SFX a little, somebody said advanced technology might be equivalent to magic) the jet-car from the first Men in Black, if you ever read "Shadowrun" books, in one of the stories in "Wolf and Raven" there was a luxury yacht that was basically the physical manifestation of a very powerful spirit. You could also go all Victorian magic/tech with a base/transport like the airship from the end of the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (vol I, trade). Sure it's powered/supported by "Cavorite", but a similar construction could be powered/supported by an ensorcelled chunk of gemstone, orichalcum, purest gold, the heart of a dragon, whatever. You could also go a magical creature route and have a group follower/member who happens to be a dragon or similar creature capable of carrying the whole group. If they are a follower they might be bound to serve, but unable to engage in combat due to the terms of their binding.

Hope that helps some.

herbie

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

An enchanted/living DC-3 or some such...

haunted tank (or truck/bus/whatever)

maybe that travels through mystic realms (Dimensional Movement or just an sfx of Teleport or even Desolid)

heh heh ... "Next Stop, Third National Bank; connections to Schenectady, Poughkeepsie and Hades!"

You could even make it a schedule, so that it doesn't necessarily show up right when/where the heroes want - "dang, we just missed it! the next one isn't due for ten minutes!"

Portable Door: full size door with framing. Put it against a solid (reasonably) flat (reasonably) vertical surface, say the magic words, and it sticks. Say the second set of magic words, and it will open to----where you want. Restricted to a flat vertical surface on "the other side," though.

As soon as the door is closed again, it detaches from the surface, on whichever "side" the user is on. To get back to where you came from, either don't let the door close, or go through the whole magilla all over again. Either way has some potential problems, of course. :eg:

As well, you might land up having to walk/take the bus/etc. while carrying a full sized door. More potential problems. :eg:

I'd do this with Teleport, perhaps Megascaled, with a Floating Fixed Location.