Would you like your character?

Trebuchet

If you were a coworker, friend, relative, acquaintance, or (D)NPC of your Champions character in either his Secret ID and/or his/her heroic identity, how would you feel about him or her personally?

Would you like or dislike him/her as a person? Would you feel the same way about his/her heroic identity and non-heroic one?

Consider him/her a friend, or just another staff member at the office?

Resent his/her frequent absences during crises?

Harbor possible romantic feelings towards him/her?

Wanna hang out with him/her?

Would you hero-worship his/her heroic identity, or think supers are just glory hounds?

How would you deal with knowing his/her secret life as a hero if you found it out?

Re: Would you like your character?

Hmm... varies from one to the next.

Void: I'd probably bear him a grudging respect, but fear whether or not he'd go overboard with the vigilante-style beatings and such eventually.

Dominic DuBey: Probably like the guy well enough, especially if he was signing my paychecks. Besides, CEO's are supposed to disappear once in a while, it happens.

Darkchild, in either ID: She would be, quite possibly, one of the greatest folks I could ever know. She'd be willing to join me in the theological/philosophical debates, confidant, cheerful, smart... I'd probably be incredibly jealous of her boyfriend though, because I know I'd be interested in her. :o

Sparky.... Hey, I love dogs, what can I say? He'd be likeable enough in either form, as long as I didn't accidentally discharge him. Only problem might be if his owner and I didn't get along for some reason.

If you were a coworker, friend, relative, acquaintance, or (D)NPC of your Champions character in either his Secret ID and/or his/her heroic identity, how would you feel about him or her personally?

Pyre-Archer: I'd like him, not a surprise seeing as he's, well, based a lot on me ^_^. Knowing me, I'd not be aware of his frequent outings, being a bit of an introvert.

Richard Ellison...hate his guts. He's a foul-mouthed, moody whiner. 2 days, I'd be telling him to (bleep) off.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Yeah, they've tended to vary a lot.

Warning: Low grade TMI

Female characters have tended towards being, well, idealised, so they'd be impossible to interact with properly. I'd doubt I'd ever be able to talk to them.

(Either they're the standard 'OMG so hot' or my trademarked 'OMG she's so smart' stereotype reversal - either way it's intimidating)

(Keep in mind that's out of a field of four, split 50/50)

Guys have often been based on myself, only better, so they'd be depressing to hang around with. In fact, since they're all smarter than I am (by dint of being smarter than just about _anyone_ in the real world), I'd hate them irrationally and want them dead.

Those who haven't been wish fulfillment (keep in mind I took the basic ideas and then teased them into being proper characters, so it's not as sad as it sounds) are generally people I could deal with in reality.

As a DNPC I'd probably be really quite impressed with the fact that OMG a Super! but would probably be resentful. (mutter mutter why don't *I* get powers mutter mutter).

The normal ID's would probably be easier to get along with - so I don't see the cosmic author ever letting me get over my irrational dislike.

So probably annoyed at the disappearances, friends with the normal ID, and suddenly repelled if I found out they were super.

Ranger: (My first character) I'd hate his alter ego, Dr. Kevin Green; a physicist at UC Berkeley. He's arrogant, secretive, and almost fanatical in his research field. Ranger I'd almost consider a costumed menace, since Ranger appearances were generally accompanied by massive property damage and supervillains being rushed to area hospitals. (Picture Batman in Iron Man's armor and you get an idea of his personality.) Not a bad guy, but a hero that has no room for compromise with villains; even unpowered ones.

Spirit Ninja: Like most men, I'd have the hots for her supermodel ID (She was based on Paulina Porizkova), but would probably consider her snobbish like many supermodels. Her super ID would be seen as a Batmanesque-like scary character with sword and shuriken; not quite a villain but definitely walking the edge between hero and villain.

Zl'f: I'd like her in her secret ID; she's one of those disgusting people everyone likes. While she's very attractive, she's almost the antithesis of what I find physically attractive in a female - she looks fourteen and is short, very slender, and blonde. I prefer tall, curvaceous, brunette or redheaded women (Morena Corwin is my ideal female physically). She's also far too energetic for me; I'm very laid back. I'd admire Zl'f as one of the world's leading superheroines, but I doubt I'd track supers any more than I do Hollywood stars (a little, but it's not high on my priority list).

Would you like or dislike him/her as a person? Would you feel the same way about his/her heroic identity and non-heroic one?

Would you hero-worship his/her heroic identity, or think supers are just glory hounds?

How would you deal with knowing his/her secret life as a hero if you found it out?

I'd probably dislike mine, with some sorrow mixed in if I knew about his brother.

Some characters that I've played over the years. In alphabetical order.

Ankh-Ahmet: High Priestess of Thoth and the single most brilliant woman who has ever lived. Looks and acts like a goddess. Very imperious, stern, and demanding but fair. If she took a liking to me, I would learn more than I ever thought possible and I would work harder than I thought possible as well.

Clea: A beautiful fun loving woman who happens to have 16d6 Luck. I think I would be in love. :love:

Doppleganger: RUN away from him as quickly as you can. A mischievous trickster type shapechanger, mage, and psionicist who loves messing with normals. Think Loki.

Heinrich: Math geek who can do almost anything using Chaos mathematics. Specializes in high order dimensional powers. He would never notice me, being almost the quintessential absent minded professor, but a heck of a nice guy.

Lariat: Tough as nails no nonsense businesswoman. Probably too much of a perfectionist and too busy to be much fun.

Nemesis: Grim avenger type. Full range of wuxia abilities from training with an enclave of Tibetan monks. A living weapon. Has mellowed out since he got married, but can leave you weak in the knees from just a glance.

Sebastian: Millionaire playboy sculptor. Can animate his statues. Usually animates them as Bigby's Hands and Mordenkainan's Swords in combat, but can create almost anything. Would be fun to be best buddies with since he always has lots of hot girls hanging all over him. Surely he could spare one? :whistle:

Sun Tzu: Yes that Sun Tzu. I also merged him with Li Kao from the Bridge of Birds series by Barry Hughart. A merciless plot by the Gods separated him from his wife for over 2000 years before they met again. Unfortunately, she had remarried in the meantime. I don't think I would like to hang out with him. You might get into some exciting adventures, but he would know EVERYTHING about what makes you tick. Plus there's an ineffable air of sadness around him.

Syphon: Sorceror with martial arts. Can be fun to be around, but probably too busy to hang out with you most of the time.

Ms Mystic has public ID and if I worked for her I would admire her dedication to keep everyone safe.

Savage I would avoid he is very crude and rude.

Raven can be very aloof and moody at times but he is a true friend. He would be all right to hang out with, especially when it was time to do yard work. Raven has a green thumb where plants are concerned where as I kill every plant I touch except for weeds.

Taylor is nice and very friendly she would be the co worker that is always bringing snacks to share with everyone else and remembering everyone birthday and stuff like that. I think we could be great friends.

To be blunt, none of the characters I've ever made over the years was "gamer" material, so I probably wouldn't be hanging with any of them. Especially the ones who repeatedly cut out of game sessions to go save the world -- that's gotten more than a few gaming flakes kicked off of my table over the years. As a co-worker, I'd probably hate their guts for cutting out of work all of the time (or calling in sick all of the time) because I'd proabably be the one picking up the slack in their absence.

Matt "I-only-work-to-afford-my-gaming-habit" Frisbee

Hell's Angel - Well, since she's modeled heavily on my wife, I think it's safe to say that I'd like her a lot. :D And given that what's not based on my wife is based largely on me--her interest in computers, fanfic and writing--we'd get along all the better.

I'd find her superheroic persona even hotter (COM 25), but be a little leery of getting too close--fire powers are scary.

Badger isnt really a "glory hound". In fact he resents his teammates sometimes for that very reason, feeling they are in it for fame. Anyhow, I would have to say part of me would admire him. The rest of me would think he might be a nut. :doi:

Frosty Bob- Well ,I'd be afraid not to like him. :doi:

Jake the Troll - isn't really a superhero yet, and is pretty much a smart jock who hasn't been able to go out in the sun his entire life, so he's developed a lot of "indoor" hobbies - video games, reading sci-fi, and the like. So, I'd probably really like him as a neighbor or cousin or something. He just discovered the ability to turn into a hot chick who CAN go out in the sun, so I'd probably find that a little off-putting; I'd make sure not to let it show, though.

Shinji Miromoto - eh, probably not. He's an ex-quasi-villian who's only 16, and he's a sorta-wanted criminal. I'd probably turn him in to the feds. In terms of personality, I'd appreciate his focus and martial arts training (it's realistically high) and his dedication to working off his kharma, but I'd find his powers (dark psychic energy) to be really freaky.

Emma Hoffman - she's a teenager as well, and the product of an abusive mother, but has managed to get herself out of the situation and is is rebuilding her relationship with her dad. I'd feel really bad for her, but she's not the most fun person to be around; she's got a bit of the "fight crime to avoid looking too closely at my own internal life" thing going.

I'd wish her the best, but I've heard enough through my parents about long-term effects of of child abuse to really not want to get to know her. If she can claw her way out of THAT pit, then I would really respect her; but I probably wouldn't want to stand by during the inevitable name-calling, shoplifting, discipline problems, and authority-spiting phases.

heh. In looking at this, I've determined that 1) Heros are usually more fun to read ABOUT than to actually get to know, and 2) I play a lot of Teen Champions games. :)

I expected it all along. He's too physically fit and smart to explain his absences otherwise. All that "coming out" stuff was a waste of his time. I think that some of us in teh office have known about it for years, just never said anything. Honestly, he's 6' 4" and wieghs in at 150kg. There are not many of those people lying around.

And fit? Don't tell me about that 'cold' he got last month when we had teh epidemic in teh office. Hah! I knew he was faking it. Where was the phlegm? The counghing fits that go on for minutes? An occassional "Achoo" doesn't work. It's not a sound you pronouce dammit!

Still, now I understand why he's always looking out for me in the office. And how he always manages to jog my memory when I forget my wedding anniversary. He's a nice guy.

Dragonfly/Stephanie Leaving aside the fact that she has high-PRE (which tends to make people like a PC anyway), she's also fairly laid-back and friendly, with a girl-next-door personality. Probably a lot of fun to hang with.

Roxie - I'd probably enjoy her, in small doses, from a bit of a distance. She's cute and fun, but tends to spread chaos wherever she goes.

Soulbarb: Not likely. She's sarcastic, vindictive, and generally unpleasant to people she's not already friends with or wants something from. And of course she doesn't make friends easily as a result. Think Batman with a demon grafted to his soul, only a 17-year old girl.

Sylph: She's a nice girl most of the time, and quite the looker, but a bit confusing. If I were to meet her in 'heroic' ID she would seem to either have really crazy mood swings, or some kind of mental problem with similar results. Her life would seem kind of chaotic; not someone you could rely on. We probably wouldn't run in the same circles, and I would probably try to avoid having too much to do with her.

Like? No. Respect? Yes. They tend to be dedicated, motivated people with a Purpose. Those kinds of people tend to drive me nuts.

And then there was Punky. He was specifically built with the "Rodney Dangerfield Complex". Although a really nice guy, NOBODY who meets him likes or respects him, and they aren't sure why. He is pretty much a Peter Parker/Spiderman clone who got his powers because different groups around the science labs decided to haze him. The groups didn't know about one another. He would be staggering out from one attack and be jumped again for another bit of "fun". End result, a wall crawling, extremely agile genius who could throw a truck... and if you saw him do it, your reaction would be "show off", "Where are the wires?", "What kind of crappy special effects are those?", "He didn't have to do that! That paint job was cherry!"

oh, and Tactics of 15, Presence was at negative 10. Most common quote was "I told you so".

Well, Nightwolf, and White Dragon are too cool and Jinx is too sexy to hang out with a guy like me... (Just kidding) :)

Most of my other characters, in their public personae, are professionals in subjects that interest me. Silhouette is a 28 INT super-scientist. Peregrine is a former US criminal prosecutor. Lotus is a renowned criminal psychiatrist who worked her way through college and med school as a CSI (it helps to not have to sleep). Dynamo is an engineer. Yeah, I have a LOT of interests...

Anyway, I'd probably love talking to any of them - I'd be fascinated by their insights on their professions. As for hanging out with them or befriending them... I'd probably have the most in common with Peregrine.

I'm not sure about any of my Champions PCs... (I don't think I'd like Avalon, he's too distant), but people in the Kazei 5 PBEM have generally agreed they'd be totally intimidated by Shion Nys is she was real. Yes, she's totally hot, but at 6'1" and 30 PRE (combined with her utter self-confidence) she'd make make everyone feel insignificant (but then, she's good at that).

I'm pretty sure I'd like my current PC in the Shadow's Angelus game. Jamadagni Renuka is a nice person, smart, attractive, witty, and cares about others. Of course, she's a spell-casting member of XSWAT, so that might put a damper on the relationship.

I wouldn't have liked Devil Hunter Jones from the Neon Labyrinth game. He was dangerous, scary and hung around with really nasty people.

I'd have liked Orion -- he was a high schooler, but a smart kid and has a good sense of humor.

Koyotie? She'd kick up the lust factor, but can be highly intimidating.

Eclipse? To much into conspiracies and the like.

Mask of Justice: When he's not out pursuing a story, ace reporter Nick Philips is a combat sports enthusiast and practitioner. We'd have very little in common to talk about. The Mask I'd respect and have a little fear about. (This is, after all, someone who sees the truth.) Mind, if I had a story the world ought to know, I'd certainly tell it to Nick.

Calculus: Brian would be a hard but fair boss, someone you'd respect more than like. He doesn't make friends easily, and is suspicious even of the ones he has. Calculus would be a shadow, a rumor; if I met him, he'd try to minimize the contact.

Rock Bottom: Since he effectively has no civilian ID, Muhammed would be my neighborhood superhero. He's friendly, intelligent and heroic, so would be fairly easy to get along with. I don't know if we'd be friends, but I'd certainly talk to him if I saw him on the street or at a party.

Kira Midori: I'd certainly be attracted to the cute and perky police officer, though our worlds wouldn't intersect much unless she happened to be a neighbor. It's unlikely the attraction would be mutual, as she favors "bishonen" guys.

Talion: We wouldn't get along too well. We have way too much in common, most of it bad.

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, good question.

Blazing Arrow I wouldn't want to hang around but would probably actually like as he's a well-intentioned guy, even if I virulently would disagree with his off-kilter and ill-informed world view. But his fervor for his "Indian" way of life and frequent preachiness would keep me away from him. I think I could work with him, though, as he is the type to get along with people on a task, and he wouldn't work somewhere unless he were sincere about it (or infiltrating, but, oh, well).

Pure, well, nobody really likes her but few dislike her, either. She's emotionally distant, serious, reserved, very flat. But she is true to her word, doesn't play games, and doesn't voice her judgement of people unless they're overtly doing bad things. She'd be good to work with if a bit dull, all business. She wouldn't be great to work with, though, as her sense of priorities wouldn't cause her to feel that most mundane jobs are "that important." She'd honor her commitment to the workplace but no more.

Aardvark would be great to hang out with, the kind of guy you can have hours and hours of conversation on all manners of idiosyncratic and esoteric topics with (of course, it would drive some people crazy, but I dig that sort of thing). However, he'd really suck to work with as he's not responsible. Although it might be tolerable with something creative where at least his occasional output would be interesting.

The Urban Druid, assuming his more raitional, heroic version, would be great at times and extremely difficult at times. It would be a roller-coaster. Anytime he's convinced of something he'd be impossible to deal with if you disagreed, but otherwise he'd normally be pretty decent. I can't see him working in any real job, so that just doesn't apply. If doing a task with him for whatever reason, though, he would usually be good to work with as he is committed.

Jack Hell is somebody you might like deep down but is hard to tolerate in any situation, as he's a walking pulp tough guy detective noir. And his rate of being hunted would make hanging out with him difficult! That and the drinking would be rough. But once in a while, just to hang out with and hear some true tall tales, sure. To work with, probably okay given his seriousness and earnest nature.

Non-supers, if you don't mind:

Bart, the Deadlands game guy, would be great fun to hang out with - until you realized he just swindled you (but he'd be gone then) or endangered your life (to be fair, he might be with you on that one). To work with, no way, he finds ways to shift work to others, makes up lies about his competency (and then convinces himself they're true), and will only be out for himself. On the other hand, he would typically try to undo anything that screwed me "too much" (not including losing all my money though) or do the right thing if it were life-and-death.

Father Jesse is far too much of a fire-and-brimstone type to be around for me, although he has his moments of connecting with people. I think I'd get along with him in any forced social situation, because I can get along with people like him in small doses, when they're sincere like he is. He might be an annoying evangelist, but he walks the walk and talks the talk, aside from a drinking problem he does his best to overcome.

Dudley Damm is way too much of a loose cannon and outright dangerous (in fact, one of his Hindrances (he's in a SW pulp game) is he seeks adventure no matter how much it endangers those around him. However, until I knew that, I'd get along fine, he has a long and interesting life hunting exotic animals (not that I'm into that per se, but to hear someone tell of such a life would be interesting), and he and I are from the same home town, and he's basically a decent guy, so we'd get along right up until something dramatic came up and I realized he's basically unhinged.

Lemi of a D&D setting using HERO game, with his "Talking Elk" Telko, would be fun to get to know. And I'd give him his copper pieces for he and his elk to sing. He's eccentric, but of the bunch of PCs I have he's probably the best adjusted and the most all-around fun, as well as being reasonably practical. Except that he'd suck to work with since he'd quickly lose interest and do something else, unless the work were something somehow engaging to his interests of story-telling and nature. (PS - I'd find his preaching about nature annoying, too, but he'd be less edgy about it and would move on in topics)