The Champion Protocols (ie how to take down your character)

Powerhouse

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: The Champion Protocols (ie how to take down your character)

As for my characters:

Microman II: AP heavy ordinance from surprise would work well; he's got decent defense, but its not hardened. The main trick is getting him when not shrunk, since once he's small, practically impossible to hit, and his defenses are good enough that even most area attacks won't do the trick. Alternatively, advanced computer viruses could do the trick.

Diomedes: He's nonpowered, so "ambush with lots of big guns" works just fine.

Jack Frost: Fire, and lots of it. Causes double Stun, and hinders most of his power tricks. Once he's unconscious, you just have to melt him out of his ice armor and do whatever you plan.

Hermes: Surprise sniper fire is your best bet, though it'd better be with a damn big gun. Lesser weapons and alot of standard antispeedster tactics don't work on him, because he has better and more persistent defense than most speedsters, plus what amounts to Full Life Support. Once he's aware, trying to take him down without superhuman powers is basically wasted effort, as he has recently developed a force field capable of stopping dead anything short of a tank gun, and he's as hard to hit as any speedster usually is.

Möbius: Reality-warping ability that requires active concentration and follows overall laws of conservation of matter and energy; low-level psychic ability, generally defensive-oriented.

A few quick ways to take her down, off the top of my head:

• Sniper fire. Not enough time to redirect the kinetic energy, and the bullets are too fast for her vague precognition to give her any warning.
  • Air-conducive chemical weapons (tear gas and the like), preferrably fast-acting and still effective under a wide temperature range. If deployed quickly enough, she won't be able to suck enough thermal energy out of it (or dump enough in) to render it ineffective before it starts disrupting her concentration.
  • Just hit her with enough energy at once (lasers and such); she won't be able to get rid of it fast enough, and the pain of getting flash-broiled will knock her out.
  • Injected sedative via hypodermic darts, preferrably as an ambush. She isn't very good handling chemicals after they've already been put into her bloodstream.

Arthur Frost (Of the Manhatten Frosts, the branch that *didn't* produce Emma) - Teenaged superscientist powersuit guy (mentalist/mystic SFX, superfamily origin) time traveller (was sent to the future as a result of an uncontrolled science experiment).

Uses a powersuit built on multiform (4x 325+100 point forms, no additional disads, base characters are 225+100 points), made from an unstable nanopolymer which allows the entire suit (a la T1000) to change shape (though it's not limited to bladed weapons, and runs on a C3L drive (C3L = Clarke's 3rd Law - Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic). Without the suit, the character is a nuiscance at best, the gadget pool isn't large enough yet to be a problem. However, in the suit, he becomes a challenge for many superteams.

Best idea is to attempt to dispel the suit if possible (125 active points), then hit him with, well, anything. Few if any defenses in 'normal' form make him vulnerable to almost any attack, though he makes good bait for the rest of the team if Entangled and held as hostage.

Aside from that, Area of Effect suppression vs. all electronics-based powers (EMP field) and an adaptive attack regimen (instant change allows for switching between 4 very diverse forms) will win the day here. Also requires very good planning, as the character is prepared for a great many situations. Currently holds the Champions protocols for all members of his superteam.

Spectrum: Breach his containment suit. His Psychlims will kick in and he'll quit the battlefield to prevent anyone from getting contaminated by his radiation.

Troubadour: If you can get the drop on him, take him down with sniper fire. He's got middling defenses, and very few, if any are Resistant. In a straight-up fight, hit him with Area Effects, Explosions, and attacks that rob him of his mobility and limit his high DEX and DCV (which hovers around 25 when he puts all of his levels into Defense).

Incidentally, the only person to ever out and out beat Troubadour was The Gourmand, a slow, groteque parody of Chef Paul Prudhomme who managed to stun him with a NND area effect blast from a peppermill and wrap him up in an enormous crepe. Not one of my better days at the gaming table, but funny.

• 6 months later...

Not my characters. . . but instead my PCs! Some of the more obvious ways to disable my PCs. . .

-Nox: Surprise attack with either energy weapons or exotic metal projectiles is the best bet. If you don't take her down with the first barrage though, better have something to prevent teleporting. Unlike earlier in her career, though, light and flashes are *not* meaningfully helpful

-Exemplar: Bring a Bizarro. :) Or, more seriously, excessively powerful weaponry ( like nukes ) or customized attacks designed to screw with his specific energy signature/genetics/whatever is your best bet.

-Daedalus: Antitechnology devices are your best bet, that or exotic attacks ( ie, anything that'd need Power Defense to block ).

-Striker One: Extremely effective restraint devices, or excess firepower enough to splatter him, applied repeatedly as needed.

Blue Star is really easy to take down, if you can get him to drink alcohol. x2 Stun, Vulnerable or Suceptible, I forget which... Of course, you'd have to trick him into it, since he's well aware of his inability to metabolize alcohol properly.

Alchohol vapors would get him drunk as it was absorbed through the membranes.

Seer You'ld need an attack thats invisible to Danger Sense, and presumably surround him with a force wall competely invisible and effective against teleportation--his reaction to danger is to rease defenses or abort to a long teleport away if hes on his own and can't spot the danger.

After that, just keep blasting him to his considerable defenses fal. Use automatons, not anythign with EGO, or they will be working for him quite soon. Use lots of them, as his telekenesis is very affective at disassembling mechanical constructs. Soulless, egoless organic based attack clones would be optimal.

Flesh Gordon - Tons of luck, luck based defenses, semi-brick, regeneration, ressurection. Throwing him into a pool of molten metal or a star would work best, and even then an observer would have to make absolutely sure he went in.

Anthem, my commando-spymaster character isn't a semi-brick, but he's got regeneration for multiple characteristics, resurrection, and some life support. Putting him down is possible if you can deal with his CVs, but keeping him down is hard. An elephant dose of drugs would work for several minutes - or just filling him with bullets - but yeah, you'd have to incinerate or disintegrate him to actually make it final.

• 1 year later...

this is a great old thread, and it deserves necromancy so

that new people can join in....

Sandor the Mystic:

it would take a sniper, like many others, but you need

a bullet inscribed in Latin with a Death wish on it.

(something hideous like Continuous REC Drain)

I can't recall enough details about the other characters, but if you offered the Cat Without a Name some tuna, he'd probably be uninclined to act against that person (as long as more tuna was forthcoming). Actually, as smart and strong as he is (for a cat) all you'd have to do would be to send an automaton of some sort to run him down. His only really effective attack was an ego blast. Can't be stunned or knocked out? I guess it's time for the cat to go hide. Niaw!

Nemesis - Mutant/Mystic Hybrid Brick, Duplicator, & Detective.

Standard Anti-Brick Tactics work well against Nemesis without his Duplicates.

Duplication Temporal - Nemesis's temporal counterparts of himself come from alternate future timelines to appear in the present and to control them. These counterparts vanished whenever Nemesis is attacked with Chronal Energy, Time Manipulation, and Tachyons Powers.

While not the Worlds Greatest Detective Nemesis is no slouch and operations against his should be conducted with the up most operational security.

Warning: Like many of his kind he can be manipulated by using Innocent By Standers. Caution should be used when doing so as Nemesis reacts violently and the consequences to violators has been severe.

Good Luck

QM

Marksman: High powered sniper riffle to the head for the win, probably 3-4, in cross fire postions. He's a human, extremly fast (Dex 29, speed 6, combat luck, combat luck based Damage reduction 25%), but not that hard to hurt (12/7 defences other than above, and about 12 body)

Volt Immerse him totally in water and he is a normal. Almost unkown. Partial immersion (more than half) and his FF does not work, but he can still attack. Hit him with a large amount of something very conductive while his FF is up (copper mesh net, mercury, salt water, etc.) and his FF feeds back hurting him.

Olorin You better kill him in one shot or knock him out where magic does not work (Lots of luck on the latter). A nuke will do it, but that's overkill. (25d6 guarantees it even if you roll all ones. 8d6 on average will do it.) If knocked out, a contingency kicks in and he t-ports somewhere safe. Mind control might work, but he has defenses, so it has to be strong.

Black Tiger He's a martial artist so hit him with area effects, especially NNDs and he's toast.

Futurian Get him away from tech (and do not use any yourself) and he will go down easy. A strong brick in the wilderness will do the trick.

The Alliance Protocols

Paragon: Paragon is a mystic-based Superman “clone”. His powers are linked to the perceived moral fiber and character of the world. During the 50’s he was at his most powerful, rivaling the Silver Age Superman. He is still incredibly powerful though and a force to be reckoned with. Other than that his biggest weakness is to Mind Control and Mental Illusions. He has earned the nickname “squishy head”.

Red Storm: Magical Attacks and energy disrupt his alien-based powers. His obsession with defeating the Thrixx can be used against him in almost any circumstance. He believes he can do anything and gets into trouble trying. Plus throwing buses at bystanders can distract him easily.

Delt: He controls temporal energies. Anything that disrupts his place in the space-time flow messes with him, with an extreme and painful reaction to being teleported.

El Mano Rojo: Secrecy is his biggest defense. If anyone found out who he was it would be a simple matter of shooting him once or twice.

Valkyrie: Taking away her power armor leaves her as a paraplegic. Easily killed at that point. While armored up the silicon-based technology her suit is based on is vulnerable to water.

Maxum: Incredibly tough, but with he seems to have a severe weakness that those who know how to look for such things can take advantage of easily.

Thomas “Tommy” Heat: He’s an old man. If he’s not expecting it a bullet to the head will drop him like a dirty towel.

Dragon: Hard to really find one thing that hurts him. Catching him by surprise will give you the best chance.

Shock: Almost impossible stun the biggest weakness is to airborne or gas attacks. Out like a light.

Artemis: You’d need a good old-fashioned beat down to take her out. She’s a mid-level brick with martial arts.

Detective Aggie Granger: She’s a cop, really doesn’t have much defenses if she doesn’t have time to theorize and implement them. Catch her off guard and you win.

It is all very well coming up with strategies to take people down but these things can backfire.

For example in planning to take down my old team the Protectors you would use cold against the Flame and mental powers against the Unicorn. The Demoness wyho has a VPP on magic would take some care and careful strategy to work on.

But woe betide those that do:- The Powers of evil want her for their own and are not about to let some two bit killer take her down;

Then there is the Magician her old mentor. True he was murdered but he came back from the other side to suddenly trounce people attacking her.

So it may be alright to plot what could be done but there could be unexpected and disasterous consequences if you do.

I believe that the point of the Batman Protocols wasn't just to take down his fellow JLA members, but to take them down alive. He has that Batman don't kill thing going.

Hence trapping Wonder Woman in a virtual reality, turning Flash's powers haywire, and using red rather than green Kryptonite on Superman.

A lot of these suggestions are decidedly lethal, which is honestly dead easy. There are lots of ways to kill off a champions character since there's a rules structure to follow, but how to take a person down in one go effectively? Well I guess that's what NND's are for.

Better still would be INTERESTING ways to take a character down alive and quickly. Sleep gas on those that don't have sealed breathing or attacks against particular vulnerabilities are also easy, and hence uninteresting.

From the role play and storytelling perspective I was rather hoping to see people explain their character's motivations and psych limits. Show how the character could be baited into doing themselves in, but again without endangering their lives or stuffing their girlfriends into a fridge.

My own character? Strike.

Strike begins his career as an optimistic carefree Spidey type in personality. Powerwise he's uninteresting, a FISS (read PS238) with a few odd extra defenses (power defense and sealed breathing) and senses (IR, extra perception, radio hearing) added on. As he progresses he becomes more and more dissillusioned. By game start he's still at it because A) he likes saving people and B) he enjoys beating the hell out of super villians.

The best way to take down Strike is to overwhelm his strength. Trick him into getting under something that's a lot heavier than it seems because he's far too confident of his physical power. It can't hurt him, but he'll be pinned until he can be dealt with. Alternately, a Batman type character could just bargain with him. Given the right incentive he'd hang up the cowl for a long time, or even willingly surrender to the authorities.

I believe that the point of the Batman Protocols wasn't just to take down his fellow JLA members, but to take them down alive. He has that Batman don't kill thing going.

A lot of these suggestions are decidedly lethal, which is honestly dead easy. There are lots of ways to kill off a champions character since there's a rules structure to follow, but how to take a person down in one go effectively? Well I guess that's what NND's are for.

Better still would be INTERESTING ways to take a character down alive and quickly. Sleep gas on those that don't have sealed breathing or attacks against particular vulnerabilities are also easy, and hence uninteresting.

From the role play and storytelling perspective I was rather hoping to see people explain their character's motivations and psych limits. Show how the character could be baited into doing themselves in, but again without endangering their lives or stuffing their girlfriends into a fridge.

SUMMARY: "A sniper shot to the head, I guess" isn't really very creative. Would you want to read a comic where the JLA/Avengers/what have you are taken down by a team of snipers firing from the rooftops?

SUMMARY: "A sniper shot to the head' date=' I guess" isn't really very creative. Would you want to read a comic where the JLA/Avengers/what have you are taken down by a team of snipers firing from the rooftops?[/quote']

Hey, it sold a few issues with Captain America, right?

In a way, the plotline doesn't map all that well to an RPG. We tend to equate "taking a character out" to "taking a character down to negative STUN", because that's what the mechanic for being out of action is. What Batman did, however, was stop the Justice League from ever making it to combat in the first place.

Thus the Champions Protocols for, say, Dragonfly is "hit her when she's in Secret ID with enough to knock her unconscious before her Armor kicks in, preferably with a cold-based attack." A closer equivalent to what Batman's plans did, though, would be "Convince Dragonfly that she's accidentally taken a life." (One of the big character points with Dragonfly was trying to balance her brickness with her CvK. Even if she made it into combat, she'd be afraid to do any damage.)

Storylines which require a character to fold in manners that aren't laid out on a mechanical level only require the author to co-operate in the comic books -- in a RPG it requires the co-operation of all of the players as well. If I were going to run something of the sort, I'd probably run the basic concept past them and then have each player give me the basics of what sort of "protocol" they'd be cool with roleplaying for a story arc.

SUMMARY: "A sniper shot to the head' date=' I guess" isn't really very creative. Would you want to read a comic where the JLA/Avengers/what have you are taken down by a team of snipers firing from the rooftops?[/quote']

no, and frankly I havent picked up a DC comic since they did it to Blue Beetle.

anyways, this is a great thread and it seems most of the people have gotten into the spirit of it.

It is hard for some to get away from number crunching in Hero.