The best retcons of all time

zornwil

Re: The best retcons of all time

Hypertime contains the idea that universes don't just split, they also re-join. A character can wake up one day and remember both that he left his keys on the dresser and that he left them in his coat pocket, and both can be true simultaneously, even though there's still only one set of keys; the two universes "merged" when he picked up his keys off of the dresser.

Mars the Lifeless Rock, Mars the pulp wonderland of John Carter, and the many versions of the Mars of the Martian Manhunter are all equally "real", potentially merging into a single present with multiple pasts once you actually visit Mars.

The Multiverse construct assumes that a parallel universe, once it diverges at some key point, remains separate.

Kwel! "If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it multiple choice!" -- the Joker

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Watchmen was essentially a retcon of the old Charleton characters from the 60s and 70s' date=' and as such was among the best retcons ever done, MHO. :thumbup:[/quote']

I thought of mentioning that but to me it's not a retcon as they did create new characters - I think if most companies just recast iconic characters and left originals alone, generally speaking people wouldn't complain.

The Earth-1/Earth-2 thing would have to count as the greatest in my book. The revived JSA was (a) great in its own right and (B) probably better than the original version.

Actually, Earth-2 was cooler than Earth-1 in pretty nearly all respects.

I guess that makes Crisis on Infinite Earths one of the bad retcons...

I still like the Golden Age JS much better, personally. But the Earth-1, Earth-2 thing did work well.

Classic fairy tales' date=' only it's not a retcon. The fairytales happened as told but the characters are more or less different now. Fun series but I thought it went downhill after they revealed who the Adversary was.[/quote']

Ah, yes, okay, thanks.

The stories that created the term 'retcon', even if the term itself got, well, 'retconned': Roy Thomas' All-Star Squadron. New stories 'interwoven' into continuity after the fact (hence 'retroactive continuity') without disrupting the original continuity. The First is still the Best.

Not canon' date=' but [b']Earth X[/b]. I resisted reading it because I thought it was just another mutant-love series. When I was finally convinced to read it I was blown away. Somebody worked damned hard to come up with an explanation for everything that happened in the Marvel Universe ever! Galactus, vibranium, the Eternals, Crusher Creel, Black Bolt, Machine Man, Captain America...and the Asgardians! I know the story isn't official, but I just can't look at any of these things the same way. An excellent story. :thumbup:

I thought this was one of the best Graphic Novels They ever did. I think I still have the old What If that included the eternals coming to Earth and creating the Eternals, Deviants (If I remember correctly) and what would become mutants. (This was not the What If story but an added story at the end.)

The early incarnation of Batman was a pulp inspired vigilante detective that was not above taking the lives of criminals to get the job done. In those days he drop crooks of rooftops, shot them with machine guns and broke their necks with his bare hands.

Of course, depending on which side of the fence you are on, retconning him into an iron clad CVK may have been the best or worst thing to happen to the character... ;)

Everyone and their sister used to think Wolverine was always a tough as nails type character but the way they did his Origin was very suprising, and actually helped me to like the character again.

Not really a retcon, but his origin certainly flew in the face of conventional wisdom.

The early incarnation of Batman was a pulp inspired vigilante detective that was not above taking the lives of criminals to get the job done. In those days he drop crooks of rooftops, shot them with machine guns and broke their necks with his bare hands.

Of course, depending on which side of the fence you are on, retconning him into an iron clad CVK may have been the best or worst thing to happen to the character... ;)

That's why I like to think that The Dark Knight Returns is basically Earth-2 continuity.

If one accepts that then the rest is a lot easier to swallow, not that I had trouble with it, that story is one of the best!

It was mentioned in another thread but I'll ask here because its on my mind. Does anyone remember the issue number of the Spiderman comic where he takes Aunt May out and tells her he's Spiderman and she tells him she's always known? That was an awesome comic book moment and I'd like to get my hands on it again.

I've really enjoyed the Surpreme Powers miniseries (or is it an ongoing? Well, whichever; I read the first 2 trades). That's a neat re-imagining of the Squadron Supreme (which is itself a parody of the Justice League). If you haven't read it and you like good Iron Age stuff, pick it up.

Classic fairy tales' date=' only it's not a retcon. The fairytales happened as told but the characters are more or less different now. Fun series but I thought it went downhill after they revealed who the Adversary was.[/quote']

I've been looking at it off and on myself, so... just who/what is the Adversary?

I thought that pre-crisis world neither split nor joined they were seperate since the beginning. They were truly parallel. But hypertime universes were constantly splitting off from each other but often remaining so close that thing slipped between them without anyone noticing.
That's generally true, though there were exceptions. For example, Earth-1 was supposed to split into two parallel time tracks in 1985, one in which the Great Disaster resulted in Kamandi's future, the other in which its absence led to the future with the Legion of Super Heroes. Instead, the Crisis occurred and made the whole point moot. But divergence was supposedly almost impossible to cause, it didn't happen with every instance of time travel like it does at Marvel.

I think my favorite retcon would be Perez' post-Crisis revamping of Wonder Woman. That was a thing of beauty.

I've been looking at it off and on myself' date=' so... just who/what is the Adversary?[/quote']

The Adversary is Gepetto. Yup that's right, all the classic fairy tale characters including Alladin and his genie got thier tails handed to them by Pinnochio's daddy.

Don't know if it counts as a retcon, or just a "Why didn't anyone ever connect those dots before?" moment : Ultron created using Hank Pym's own brainwave patterns. In all my years of reading Avengers, don't think it was ever addressed until the Busiek run, but it makes great sense and adds to both Pym and Ultron as characters.

That's what I think the really smooth retcons do - they add something interesting, putting a different spin on things without having to really invalidate anything else. (edit) In other words, *real* "retroactive continuity" - "It was there all along", not "X didn't happen, Y really did. Hah hah! Dummy."

It was mentioned in another thread but I'll ask here because its on my mind. Does anyone remember the issue number of the Spiderman comic where he takes Aunt May out and tells her he's Spiderman and she tells him she's always known? That was an awesome comic book moment and I'd like to get my hands on it again.

Edit:

Oops. Didn't read this all the way through. That would be nice to tell the truth.