7 heroes summoned through time: who are they?

ZombiePope

Re: 7 heroes summoned through time: who are they?

I'd like to add:

Harry Houdini (escape artist/illusionist, aviator, mechanic, pistol/rifle expert, acrobat)

Leonardo DaVinci (Gadgeteer?)

Doc Halliday

I like a lot of the other suggestions listed above, but I think Bruce Lee and Miyamopto Musashi are excellent choices.

I'd avoid Doc Holliday - despite being on the side of the "good guy" Earps, Holliday was a stone killer and not a nice man at all (he was, IIRC, the only man at the "showdown" who actually used pistols by preference).

If you want a "gunfighter" from the old west, I'd suggest Bat Masterson, one of the later gunmen. But you should remember that Bat used a rifle by preference, and only ever claimed to have knowingly killed two men (though he was in several battles where he may have killed more - but was never sure).

Or, of course, there was Wyatt Earp himself.

EDit: We seem to think alike, McCoy...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about an all women team...

Tomoe (12th century Samurai Heroine (Scrapper))

Atlanta (Ancient Greek Heroine (Speedster))

Amelia Earhart (Pilot Adventurer (Highly Trained Normal))

Joan of Arc (14tj century God Inspired Knight (Brick))

Annie Hall (19th century Sharp Shooter (Blaster))

Nimue (Medieval Sorceress)

Nefertari (Queen)

I'd like to add:

Gilgamesh

My Gods, how did I forget Gilgamesh!?

The First Hero.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary suggests perhaps I was thinking too strictly in terms of "historical" figures as opposed to "mythical."

William Tell. I bet he could learn to handle a modern rifle as accurately as his famous crossbow.

This might pose a problem if we're looking for historical figures. The reality of Tell as a person is seriously disputed.

Joe Greenstein. AKA The Mighty Atom. A 20th Century strongman' date=' whose astounding feats invite comparison to Samson and who, I hear, sometimes credited his powers to the mystical discipline of Kaballah.[/quote']

And he was only 5'4", hence the nickname. Generally considered a major inspiration for the Golden Age comic book hero, the Atom (Al Pratt). Here's some background on him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Greenstein

I'd like to add:

Harry Houdini (escape artist/illusionist, aviator, mechanic, pistol/rifle expert, acrobat)

A man whose real-life feats were near-miraculous, and a versatile addition to any team. My recommendation for the 20th Century representative.

Leonardo DaVinci (Gadgeteer?)

Give him an opportunity to absorb modern science, and who knows what he'd come up with? According to an Italian biographical television miniseries about him, Leonardo was also reputed to be exceptionally strong in his youth, amusing his friends with such feats as bending horseshoes with his bare hands.

Oh and I read about Musashi on wiki. I knew some about him but not to such detail. Yikes' date=' if you added the legend to the man.......one serious bad@$$ is all I can say.[/quote']

Musashi's Digital Hero writeup comes in at 424 points, and could stand up to many Standard Superheroes published for Champions, at least HTH. You don't need to add too much legend to the real man; as amazing as some of his accomplishments sound, many of them are well documented.

Despite being known as a fearsome fighter, he was also a well-rounded master of many crafts, and a deeply philosophical man. Good fabric for a hero. :)

While Gilgamesh is an excellent choice, sometimes the best are those whose exploits are quietly documented. The era of magic was fairly strong in China throughout the Early-Middle Dynasties. You could put the survivors of the Shaolin purges in your files--I know of at least one would be an interesting choice... the female founder of Wing Chun, a martial style that was based around knife-fighting.

Hmm.....

Alexander

Ceaser

Richard the Lion Hearted

Saladin

Cinncinatus

Hannibal

Eric the Red

Leif Eriksson

and finnally

Charlemagne - any one with the cahones to take the crown from the pope and crown himself Emperor makes the list.:nonp:

Hmm.....

Alexander

Ceaser

Richard the Lion Hearted

Saladin

Cinncinatus

Hannibal

Eric the Red

Leif Eriksson

and finnally

Charlemagne - any one with the cahones to take the crown from the pope and crown himself Emperor makes the list.:nonp:

That's a list of conquerers and pillagers, not heroes. That group would not only be more likely to fight amongst themselves then any villain they'd face, most of them would attempt to conquer the world at some point. More of a team of villains really.

This sounds a lot like the anime series called Fate/Stay Night. Seven magicians summon seven servants who were (or will be) legendary figures in an effort to win the holy grail. They battle each other and the last pair standing gets the grail which will (supposedly) grant the mage and servant each a wish. Part of the mystery of the first part of the show is trying to figure out who a servant really is (I won't spoil it for those of you who might watch it). Might be worth checking out if you are interested in running a game like this.

Link to the dvd which will hopefully be out soon in the U.S. :thumbup:

http://www.fatestaynightdvd.com/

ChrisC

This sounds a lot like the anime series called Fate/Stay Night. Seven magicians summon seven servants who were (or will be) legendary figures in an effort to win the holy grail. They battle each other and the last pair standing gets the grail which will (supposedly) grant the mage and servant each a wish. Part of the mystery of the first part of the show is trying to figure out who a servant really is.

Link to the dvd which will hopefully be out soon in the U.S.

http://www.fatestaynightdvd.com/

ChrisC

That's a list of conquerers and pillagers' date=' not heroes. That group would not only be more likely to fight amongst themselves then any villain they'd face, most of them would attempt to conquer the world at some point. More of a team of villains really.[/quote']

I got my heroes, you got your's.

Most of those people originally started out believing in something good. Most of them were flawed but which of us aren't.

I'd avoid Doc Holliday - despite being on the side of the "good guy" Earps, Holliday was a stone killer and not a nice man at all...

Or, of course, there was Wyatt Earp himself.

EDit: We seem to think alike, McCoy...

Earp is a better choice, but I was biased by Val Kilmer's interpretation. Still, he could be the group's "Wolverine"? ;)

Doc Holliday was not a heroic figure by any stretch of the imagination but he did have one good trait which was loyalty. He always said that Wyatt Earp was best friend he ever had and stuck with him to the end, which didn't raise the bar any higher because Earp was no Boy Scout,either. Jesse James was a far cry from the old west Robin Hood that dime novels and Hollywood had depicted him to be. Billy the Kid was just plain psycho.

If you want a cowboy "hero" (I use the term loosely), Butch Cassidy would probably fit the bill. He was not known to have killed anybody yet he was handy with a pistol. He is described more as a charming rogue than a sinister criminal. He was very smart and he adapted to changing technology very well. And, he was a born leader. Legend has it that Butch and the Sundance Kid were killed in a shootout with a Bolivian Army unit but the bodies were never positively identified. Their remains have yet to be found (which would explain why he is here in the present).

I think Julius Caeser should be on the list.

Consider that he had several careers, high priest of Rome, soldier, politician and lawyer before becoming a general.

Caeser was one of the Consuls of Rome and the second consul refused to work with him; Caeser worked on his own and brought in laws that were well researched and for Rome's benefit. At the end of his term for Consul Caeser stood down and prevented his colleague from negating all his good work by having one of the Tribunes of the Plebs veto his colleague's speech.

Caeser was once captured by pirates. While they held them for ransom he calmly informed them that once he was free he would come back and crucify them all. He did just that.

He held all the posts a man of his position could by dint of hard work.

He fought not only as a soldier and won honours but also as a general. For someone who has a belief in destiny, he claimed descent from the goddess Venus/Aphrodite, can you afford to leave him off ?

Okay, since nobody's mentioned either of these folks, here are two suggestions from the Old Testament. (If we're considering Beowulf and Gilgamesh, why not?)

Samson: Okay, he really wasn't that heroic. Most of his life was spent in hedonism and self-aggrandizement. But his strength is undeniable. He'd be a better person to have as an ally than an enemy.

Gideon: An inspired leader and a capable warrior. Once he'd delivered Israel from its enemies, he too refused to become king.