What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

2 minutes ago, zslane said:

That felt out of character to me (the breaking the fingers bit). That was some hardcore Rorscach sh*t right there, and I had to put on my proverbial writer's hat to figure out why Luke behaved so uncharacteristically. The only thing I could come up with was that the writers must have decided that Luke figured the only way to get through to Italian gangsters like Rosalie was to "speak their language", as it were. I can see the twisted logic in that, but again, that feels more like something John Wick would do, not Luke Cage.

Exactly. It was just not in character to the rest of the Luke scenes. Now if he'd had enough, and after that, continued to get more violent, I wouldn't have thought it right for Luke Cage, but it would have been more consistent/better writing. I felt they brought up his anger and potentially crossing the line with Claire effectively early in the season, then just let it drop, and never really used that "learning moment" in any way later. I really liked the season, but there were still too many writers on different episodes for it not to have inconsistencies.

Also... to have him Rorscach the guy... then be all "I'll make your business a living hell" calmness seemed like "Uh... what? Did you just forget that five seconds ago you tortured a man brutally?" That one part of the scene just seemed wrong, and unnecessary, to me.

5 hours ago, Starlord said:

Runaway is definitely one of those surprisingly good, yet unknown 80s movies.

It apparently under performed at the box office, mainly due to competition from other SF movies, like 2010: The Year We Make Contact, which was released a few weeks before. I first saw it while flipping channels, and hitting it on one of the big network movie of the week showings. Gene Simmons was what sold it for me. I also have a soft spot for Michael Crichton's previous work, Looker, which was also a box office flop.

I liked Runaway, it was pretty well done but you're right, they didn't give Selleck much to work with.

Recently I watched the second season of a show on the Outdoor network (saw it on Netflix) called Hollywood Weapons.  Basically its an ex special forces guy who looks at scenes and uses of weapons in popular entertainment to see if that could really be done.  First show was the pitch, the idea he came up with the show based around: a scene in Criminal Minds where the hero shoots out the glass of a car underwater then kills the bad guy.  Could that work?

Think Mythbusters, but with people who actually understand and can use weapons, doing better experiments, for really specific results.  For example: they showed you can shoot a noose down, and Mythbusters thought it was impossible.

A few weeks back, on back to back nights, I was able to watch the no time limit 2 out of 3 falls Kenny Omega vs Kazuchika Okada match -Great one, would put up against almost any in history. I love the story being told by these guys through their matches. I think, when they give Okada back the belt, he will have to do a new finisher AND will have to kick out of the one winged angel. They have pointed out that Omega has kicked out of the moneymaker clothesline, and even the match where they drew, Kenny went in saying Okada couldn't beat him with it.

Then the next night was the live show from San Francisco. Really enjoyed this too. I especially liked that for the first time that I can remember in watching, in doing a show here, it was just this group and not wrestlers from 2-3 different organizations. I am not a fan of Cody Rhodes (some of the BS he pulled backstage in the WWE never sat right with me) but his and Omega's match was excellent. Not sure I fully understood what was going on with the G.O.D. and Bullet Club at the end, but it should play out.

I used to love professional wrestling when I was a kid. But I confess I don't understand what the appeal is once one learns (or figures out) that it is worked. The subconscious willing suspension of disbelief is undermined by the "live sporting event" presentation of the performances, a problem that also undercuts movies like The Blair Witch Project for anyone who goes into the theatre already knowing that everything in it was pre-planned and "staged" by the director.

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I liked Runaway, it was pretty well done but you're right, they didn't give Selleck much to work with.

Recently I watched the second season of a show on the Outdoor network (saw it on Netflix) called Hollywood Weapons.  Basically its an ex special forces guy who looks at scenes and uses of weapons in popular entertainment to see if that could really be done.  First show was the pitch, the idea he came up with the show based around: a scene in Criminal Minds where the hero shoots out the glass of a car underwater then kills the bad guy.  Could that work?

Think Mythbusters, but with people who actually understand and can use weapons, doing better experiments, for really specific results.  For example: they showed you can shoot a noose down, and Mythbusters thought it was impossible.

I watched the first couple episodes of this as well. Goes quickly when you fastforward all the chit-chat garbage and get to the experiment. The fact that  Glock 17 would fire 3 times underwater was impressive, as was the stopping power of water on a bullet.

10 hours ago, zslane said:

I used to love professional wrestling when I was a kid. But I confess I don't understand what the appeal is once one learns (or figures out) that it is worked. The subconscious willing suspension of disbelief is undermined by the "live sporting event" presentation of the performances, a problem that also undercuts movies like The Blair Witch Project for anyone who goes into the theatre already knowing that everything in it was pre-planned and "staged" by the director.

I've known a few people who were really into professional wrestling, and the way that they explained it, they liked following the story lines and enjoyed the larger-than-life nature of it all. For them, it's kind of like a cross between a soap opera and a superhero comic, performed on a "stage" that happens to have convenient folding chairs and collapsible tables nearby.

1 hour ago, Ternaugh said:

I've known a few people who were really into professional wrestling, and the way that they explained it, they liked following the story lines and enjoyed the larger-than-life nature of it all. For them, it's kind of like a cross between a soap opera and a superhero comic, performed on a "stage" that happens to have convenient folding chairs and collapsible tables nearby.

I do understand the draw of professional wrestling, it's like they've cross-bred soap operas with gladiatorial combat. In many ways it is a live action parallel to comic fiction.

Different subject:

I didn't realize Bobcat Goldthwait was doing his own films until he mentioned it in his "You Don't Look the Same Either" comedy special (I watched because the title seemed personally apropros). Just watched "God Bless America"

Really good movie.

13 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

I can understand appreciating it for the mixture of melodrama and faux sport that it presents, but I don't understand how one's brain gets so thoroughly immersed in the "storyline" that it fails to recognize the artifice of the wrestling you see. I mean, you will see fully grown adults behaving the same during pro wrestling matches as they do during genuine sporting events, as if they are not consciously aware of the difference. I simply don't understand the neurological phenomena behind that.

To me, that comes down to the ability of the wrestlers to sell whats going on. The athleticism and pure WTF just happened are some of the best parts, but also is their ability to sell the pain, the drive to win etc. Again, see the Okada/Omega series of matches. In a match in 2017 that Meltzer said was the best he had seen, Okada beat Omega. Next time they fought, Kenny went in saying that Okada would not beat him with the Moneymaker (short arm clothesline) and the match ended in a 60 minute draw. Next time they met was not for the title, but in a tournament and Omega won. Okada then beat Hiroshi Tanahashi to break the latter's record for consecutive title defenses. He took to the mic and mentioned that he had that draw and wanted Omega again. They decided on a no-time limit, 2 of 3 falls match. It was an hour and a half of brilliant back and forth. scripted or not, the match held your interest for the sheer athleticism of the 2 and the ability to sell the exhaustion and will to keep going.

Professional wrestling does not look authentic in this age of MMA competition. Anyone who has grown up with the UFC knows what the real consequences of strikes and submission holds look like, and the vast difference between genuine competitive sport combat and worked performance combat should be abundantly clear to anyone over the age of ten.

4 hours ago, zslane said:

Professional wrestling does not look authentic in this age of MMA competition. Anyone who has grown up with the UFC knows what the real consequences of strikes and submission holds look like, and the vast difference between genuine competitive sport combat and worked performance combat should be abundantly clear to anyone over the age of ten.

I'm not looking for UFC authentic when I watch a wrestling match, I'm looking to be entertained. Some wrestlers have a grace in their movements that is absolutely amazing when you realize that if the moves are done wrong, people will get hurt. I'm well over the age of ten, but I can still appreciate the skill and strength that is on display in a good wrestling match. 

Well, sure, but that's not really my point. I agree that as adults we should certainly be capable of appreciating the athleticism of what they do. My point, however, is that as adults we should also be able to unfailingly recognize that the performance is just that, and that it is all being staged strictly for our entertainment, with everything more or less scripted in advance, and that one's reaction to what we're seeing ought to reflect that. That's why I am mystified by anyone over ten who reacts to professional wrestling as though it was a pure sporting event (like MMA or boxing).

On 6/11/2017 at 12:23 PM, tkdguy said:

I saw La Boheme at the opera house last night. It was opening night for this production.

Here's a review

It was a feast for the senses. I was actually moved to tears by this performance.

I watched the Met production on tv a couple of weeks ago and was similarly moved.

I've never shed a tear for Carmen, Tosca, or Aida. But I always weep bitterly for Mimi.

Some of the anime I was shown at the viewing party today was very interesting. This has to be my favorite of the lot:

Yes, that's Cells at Work!, all about anthropomorphic blood cells fighting a never-ending battle against infection.  Other good ones included Drop Kick Devil, a wild comedy where a demon makes frequent unsuccessful attempts to kill off the witch who summoned her (sort of like a cute and extremely evil Coyote taking on an especially vicious loligoth Roadrunner).

There is also Planet With, about superheroes fighting off an alien invasion and the series protagonist who is determined to shut them down and take their powers.

6 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Some of the anime I was shown at the viewing party today was very interesting. This has to be my favorite of the lot:

Yes, that's Cells at Work!, all about anthropomorphic blood cells fighting a never-ending battle against infection.  Other good ones included Drop Kick Devil, a wild comedy where a demon makes frequent unsuccessful attempts to kill off the witch who summoned her (sort of like a cute and extremely evil Coyote taking on an especially vicious loligoth Roadrunner).

There is also Planet With, about superheroes fighting off an alien invasion and the series protagonist who is determined to shut them down and take their powers.

the one with the body reminds me of Osmosis Jones.

CES

14 hours ago, Michael Hopcroft said:

Yes, that's Cells at Work!, all about anthropomorphic blood cells fighting a never-ending battle against infection. 

7 hours ago, csyphrett said:

the one with the body reminds me of Osmosis Jones.

A lot of people make that reference, so it's not surprising you did. I don't think OJ had kindergartner platelets, though.