What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

20 hours ago, clnicholsusa said:

Odd. I noticed Little Dragon Maiden the other day and watched it, it never occurred to me the giant bird was a tengu. Of course, every time it came on I was comparing it to daikaiju, so my mind was elsewhere.

I don't know if it was a tengu or not, but that is what first came to mind for me.

Mark Kermode Secrets of Cinema. This week horror. Not available on Youtube as it comes up as the right name but goes to video games instead. It explores the horror trope and what makes it successful in old and new films.

Unforgotten. This has played out over the last six weeks. A body is discovered in motorway workings. This is found out to be a murder victim that came from the Bristol area. Evidence points to a group of friends that shared a house over the Millennium holiday. One is a popular television quiz presenter who has a son with problems; another is a doctor who is going through a disciplinary procedure; a third is a failing salesman with a new family while the fourth is homeless. A police mistake makes people believe that one of the friends is a child killer and he is stabbed dying later of a heart attack. A social media blogger is arrested in light of the death as they had implied action needed to be taken. The police eventually have enough to go after one suspect but they find no evidence of the murder victim. Only of another killing several years before. Like the previous series it is well worth it and has a slow burn.

22 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Whether my wife wants to watch it or not, I think I do!  I'll see if I can track it down. Thanks!

Wuxia is always something I enjoy to some extent, even the cheesy bad stuff (which is the majority). Swordsman II is an all time favorite. The Shaw Bros. stuff didn't hold back, where every one and their brother seems to know SOME kung-fu and there is a whacked out fight happening around every corner... vs. some of the "historical" movies like "Red Cliff" that can't make up their mind what they want to be. "Hero" is, of course, one of the modern greats, that manages to turn history into myth in a beautiful way. 

The only Wuxia movie I've ever shown my mother is the one everyone's seen -- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Although calling it a wuxia movie is like calling Romeo and Juliet an episode of Love, American Style.....

It's proof that any genre can be used to tell a deep meaningful story. Or, as is show by Eagle Shooting Heroes, there is no genre that cannot be used to escape your troubles by making you laugh like a hyena.

Ozark (Netflix). I am a big Jason Bateman fan and knew a bit about the plot before watching it. I really enjoyed it and season 2 comes out later this month.

Basic synopsis-  Guy who launders money for a drug cartel has to move his whole family to the Ozarks and try to pay off his debts to the cartel by laundering money there. Of course the local criminals don't like him moving into their territory.

Deadpool 2 Super Duper $@%!#& cut-This one adds  in a 15 minutes of extra stuff scattered about the film, and has a different extra credits scene. Most of the added stuff appears to be extra one-liners or jokes, and generally goes pretty smoothly. 4K "Longer and packed with pixels" disc starts the top menu playback in what looks like crappy VHS, complete with 4:3 aspect ratio, fuzzy video with dropouts, and the blocky 90s on-screen menu lettering for the menu options.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:35 AM, mojo_bones said:

Ozark (Netflix). I am a big Jason Bateman fan and knew a bit about the plot before watching it. I really enjoyed it and season 2 comes out later this month.

Basic synopsis-  Guy who launders money for a drug cartel has to move his whole family to the Ozarks and try to pay off his debts to the cartel by laundering money there. Of course the local criminals don't like him moving into their territory.

This is good? Cool. It has been a maybe for me, but wasn't sure. I'll definitely move it up on the list.

Ant-Man and the Wasp is fun -- while you're watching it. Afterwards, it becomes forgettable to the point that I don't remember Ant-Man's name. The main thing I remember is that almost all of Hank Pym's misdeeds come home to roost -- almost all of what drives the film is a direct consequence of Pym's pride, arrogance, and inability to see other human beings as valuable equals.

the weird thing is that, while I found many of the jokes amusing, I didn't really laugh at any of them. There appeared to be some distance between myself and the movie.

X-Men: Days of Future Past -- Apparently, I linked another service to Movies Anywhere a few days ago when I redeemed the code for Deadpool 2, and this movie showed up as a gift in my collection. It was entertaining, even for someone who hasn't really watched any of the X-Men movies since the second one. (Vudu/Movies Anywhere)

Wonder Woman -- I re-watched this one, and found it to still be a very good movie. I'm looking forward to the next one. (4K Blu-ray)

Eight Iron Men. This is a World War 2 movie but you don't get a sense of where it is set either Italy or France. An American patrol is ambushed by a machine gun and one of the members trips up and is stuck in a foxhole. The other two members of the patrol get back to their digs and let the rest know what happened. Attempts to rescue him are foiled by orders to pull back and squabbling amongst the unit. One attempt fails to knock out the machine gun using a mortar.The loudmouth of the unit then tries on his own to rescue the man having been seen to do little but daydream almost all the way through. This was Lee Marvin's first starring role. There is very little killing and it is low key. But worth a look.

Soft Beds, Hard Battles. Peter Sellers plays six parts in this film including a French general, a Japanese prince, a Gestapo official, Hitler, the President of France and an English major. It chronicles how a brothel was important in the war effort. Some of the women would be easily recognisable to any British TV viewer from the 1970s. Fun but don't go out of your way to find it.

Hell is a City. An escaped convict pulls off a job in order to get money to flee the country. However someone dies as a result and the police are hot on his trail. Stanley Baker is the police inspector trying to catch the crook. Impressive late 50s set film in Manchester, England.

Tomorrowland. I didn't get all the film but it was ok. It had nice touches but somehow I felt there was something missing

The Dark Crystal -- It's been a while since I watched it, and I had found a 4K copy on sale at the local Best Buy. It looks beautiful in HDR/4K, and I was able to see just how much detail they put into the sets and creatures. It's a movie that I probably enjoy more now than when I first saw it in the 80s. (4K Blu-ray)

The Good Place -- Season 2 has hit Netflix, and I'm a few episodes in. It's interesting how they are shaking things up. (Netflix)

4 hours ago, Ternaugh said:

The Dark Crystal -- It's been a while since I watched it, and I had found a 4K copy on sale at the local Best Buy. It looks beautiful in HDR/4K, and I was able to see just how much detail they put into the sets and creatures. It's a movie that I probably enjoy more now than when I first saw it in the 80s. (4K Blu-ray)

The Good Place -- Season 2 has hit Netflix, and I'm a few episodes in. It's interesting how they are shaking things up. (Netflix)

We just finished watching season 1 of The Good place. I really enjoyed it.Glad to hear season 2 is now on Netflix. My wife and I will start it this weekend I'm sure.

I've been going through a bunch of my discs and loading up my Plex server, while watching a few of the videos.

Batman: Year One -- This DVD has been hanging around on one of my storage racks for a long time, and it's a good and interesting movie. Jim Gordon is voiced by Bryan Cranston, and Bruce Wayne is voiced by Ben McKenzie (who plays Jim Gordon on Gotham).  (DVD)

The Color of Magic -- An enjoyable adaptation of the first two Discworld books, it's been a while since I watched it. Christopher Lee provides the perfect voice for Death, and Sean Astin is a decent Twoflower. (DVD)