What Have You Watched Recently?

Susano

The new Power Rangers movie was...actually pretty good. Much better than I expected. Between it and Sky High a GM would have good material for Teen Champs. This version of Power Rangers has some more serious elements, but still touches of humor mixed in nicely.

Billy as autistic "I'm on the Spectrum" caught me by surprise but it worked for me

Rowan Atkinson has played Chief Inspector Maigret for a couple of TV movies. I haven't seen them yet, but I'm curious to see him in a serious role.

Edit - Here's a trailer:

While the BBC screens it in America over here ITV produced it.

They are feature length and have a slow burn to them. Mr Atkinson restrains every comic impulse to show a very thoughtful character and it also is true to the time period where you have to wait for results. I would recommend them and you don't have to watch them i order.

Dr Who: The Power of the Daleks. This is one of the great 'lost' stories. What the BBC did was animate it and use the audio. It is the first Patrick Troughton story and has his companions Ben and Polly getting used to the fact that the Doctor now has a completely different look and personality. It is also the first Dalek story that was not written by Terry Nation and shows the Daleks being very cunning pretending to be servants while waiting for an opportunity to strike at the humans.

The Matt Smith story 'Victory of the Daleks' was inspired by this tale.

Deadpool. This is just wonderful. It's violent and funny. I would say that Ryan gets the character completely. I like Colossus and he gets a chance to strut his stuff here. Gina Canaro as Angel Dust survives the film and again the film makers let someone who knows how to fight strut their stuff. Also nice to see other people get to be funny and survive.

Suicide Squad. This was good. A little disappointing that Ballroom Blitz was not on the soundtrack but the rest of the soundtrack was good. I enjoyed it. It was nice to see the Seal team not being wiped out at the first chance but continuing until the end. This is something that I would watch again and again.

I was gifted by Comcast (may their shells be blighted) with a free rental. I used it to watch Rogue One. Which did not feel very much like Star Wars at all, despite the trappings of aliens and blasts instead of bullets. It was more like a space-fantasy Guns of Navarone. And it became more like one the more and more it started to look like a suicide mission.

I will say the most amazing piece of technology in the film is Peter Cushing. He looked like Peter Cushing, not the CGI marionette he actually was. Sounded like him, too, and acted like Tarkin would act and said what Tarkin would say. This is vaguely alarming. We now have the technology to resurrect actors on film. You can now use the images of actors who would have wanted no part of your project were they alive. I'm pretty sure that were Peter Cushing still with us he would have wanted no part of a new Star Wars movie (unless the money was really good).

And what happens when it becomes easier to simulate actors than use real actors?

And what happens when it becomes easier to simulate actors than use real actors?

Hopefully we can get a Highlander or other immortal person series where the actor on screen looks the same for 20 years. Heck even a comic book series where the same voice actor provides the voice for an unchanging character for a long time. I could get behind that concept.

Batman Season 1. Frank Gorshin, Burgess Meredith and Cesar Romero really make the show with their multiple appearances as the Riddler, Penguin and the Joker. Catwoman, the Mad Hatter and King Tut make only one appearance but return in the next season as does Mr Freeze but played by a different actor  Zelda the Great, False Face and Book Worm make their only appearances in this season.

And two people get killed in the show. Jill St John as the Riddler's sidekick falls into the Atomic Pile in the Batcave while a guard is frozen and the shattered by Mr Freeze.

Highly entertaining. Technically I should watch the film next but I'm going on with Season 2.

Saving The Human Race on the CW Seed. Six 6-minute mini-episodes about one of the few male survivors of the zombie apocalypse desperately trying to repopulate the species get laid as often as possible. Or at least y'know...once. Very funny, with a Shaun of the Dead feel to it.

I love that the Internet is making it so easy now to tell stories that don't necessarily fit within the conventional formats. The premise of this show wouldn't be nearly enough to last a full season, but for 36 minutes it's kindof awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched The Return of Xander Cage. When someone is dropping satellites on land targets, a criminal mastermind is the man to put a stop to it. Lots of stunts and gunfights in this one.

I liked the five minutes of screen time they gave Ice Cube as one of the Xs, and I liked Adele Woods one of the recruits setting up to snipe bow hunters after a lion. She shot their weapons and then shot one of them in the leg for the offended lion in question.

CES