I eat my Cheerios stealthfully!

Tech

Last week, my friends and I were having a game with mysterious going-ons. The group arrives at the building of what is probably the place where whoever is behind it is. Somehow, the subject of one of the players eating Cheerios while coming came up and someone replied, "it might be a little noisy eating it". The player rolls dice and says "I rolled a perfect 3. I eat the Cheerios stealthfully." The whole room burst out in laughing for awhile. The GM agreed after he could talk. "Ok, you eat your Cheerios stealthfully."

So, has anyone used a perfect 3 for something frivilous or useless?

Re: I eat my Cheerios stealthfully!

Dern Shieldbreaker, a confused Minotaur who believes he was a human Knight transformed by an evil Wizard.

For some odd reason any time he started singing the GM would say roll. I rolled 3's, 4's, 5's and 6's every bloody time. I kid you not. "You don't know how much I love youuu! Moo moo moo moo... mooo mooo mooo!"

Also rolled a 3 every time he made a savior-faire roll in high level social situations. Including impressing the Prince of Cardiel.

Cheers

QM

Still, always fun to see the GM's jaw drop when you say "Made it... by 14!"

I second that. I have a character with an 18 or less detect magic, and rolled a 5 last night. "Made it by 13" just is cool.

Another player rolled an 18, then about 4 rolls later rolled a 3, (on knockback of all things). That was a bit strange.

On a related note, I ran a Fantasy Hero game at a local con a few weeks ago. I say Fantasy Hero, but really the characters were low-powered superheroes -- mythical archetypes, like "The Strongest Man in the World" and so forth, so their stats were off the wall.

Anyway, one guy had the worst dice luck. He kept rolling incredibly high, every time. He could not roll less than a 14. But it was funny... he'd roll his dice, groan when he saw the number, then do the math. "I rolled a sixteen, which means I ... um... actually, I made it by two!" :celebrate

Good times.

I ran a game once with the heroes investigating a series of crimes by Foxbat and his friends (The Foxbat Five). One player made a "3" PER roll, so I told him he noticed a black dot on the ground, about the size of the pip on a normal die. There wasn't supposed to be anything there, but I thought, what the heck? I decided it was a spy hole by Dot, one of Foxbat's teammates.

If you ever saw the Spot character that fought Spidey years ago, you have an idea of some of Dot's powers. He could open and resize wormholes, from pinpoints (for spying on places) to a meter in diameter (for moving through).

So the character that noticed the spyhole grabs a nearby fire extinguisher, puts the nozzle over the spyhole, and begins spraying. And Dot responded by widening the hole, grabbing the hose, and attempting to wrestle the extinguisher out of the hero's hands (rather than just closing the hole, which would have been the intelligent thing to do). The two of them wrestled over that for a minute or so (with the hero spraying Dot the whole time, and repeatedly banging Dot against the wall on Dot's side of the spyhole) before Dot finally gave up and let go.

It had no real bearing on the game, but it was a lot of fun and gets brought up every now and then.

IMO, there's no such thing as a wasted "3". Or a wasted "18", for that matter. You just gotta be creative.

("I'm singing in the shower." "Okay, roll a PS: Singing roll." "Oh, crud, I roll an 18." "Okay, you're really getting into it, using your conditioner bottle like a microphone... and accidentally sqeeze your 'microphone,' getting a mouthful of conditioner. Yum!")

True to the statistical improbability, I can't remember the last 3 I rolled, it was so long ago.

I remember a player rolling a "3" this past game... I think it was on to-hit so it was useful (I give Armor Piercing in such a case).

As counterpoint I remember the last "18" the team rolled. The team mentalist was on a rollercoaster, trying to port two seats back (so he could see and work on a bomb under the seat). I warn him how difficult this will be and I don't think I even cranked the diff up enough realistically, but he rolled 18 and then rolled on the teleporting-into-solid-objects chart. It was brutal too... dropped to -2 Body and 4 Stun.

It's always easier to remember the 18's :D

I remember a long time ago, I was playing the Sniper, an entirely mundane dude with a gun in a game that featured a mystic adversary.

Anyway, the only characters who had any business investigating a mystic enemy were being smacktards so out of boredom, I grabbed some dice and announced:

Sniper is going to try to detect magic.

I rolled a 3.

The plot advanced (finally). Step forward an hour or so and we're stuck again.

I grabbed the dice again.

I rolled a 4.

We eventually got to the ritual on time, no thanks to the mystics who were obviously smoking the ingredients to some potion or other.

I got to thinking about a plausible explaination for how someone with no training and no (known) link to the occult could have figured that stuff out. I ended up adjusting his backstory based on that. He's a much more interesting character now.

Cheerios are easy to eat stealthfully. Just wait a minute for them to go soggy.

Now, Cap'n Crunch is another matter.

The key when eating Cap'n Crunch is to have enough resistant defenses on the roof of your mouth to counter the 1 pip Killing damage shield they have.

The key when eating Cap'n Crunch is to have enough resistant defenses on the roof of your mouth to counter the 1 pip Killing damage shield they have.

True enough but a perfect 3 can allow you to eat even this quietly. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The player rolls dice and says "I rolled a perfect 3. I eat the Cheerios stealthfully." The whole room burst out in laughing for awhile. The GM agreed after he could talk. "Ok, you eat your Cheerios stealthfully."

That's funny! I've browsed the forums long enough (and finally decided to join) to see there are alot of dead serious campaigns out there. It's nice to see some campaigns on the lighter side of things :celebrate

That's funny! I've browsed the forums long enough (and finally decided to join) to see there are alot of dead serious campaigns out there. It's nice to see some campaigns on the lighter side of things :celebrate

The games Im in are kind of a mixture; a serious world with occasionally goofy moments and people.

Kind of like real life :D

Check out the "Quote of the Week" thread for a good look at some funny gaming moments :thumbup:

Last time I rolled a bunch of ones was on a

4d6 RKA, 4 1's, and a 2 on the stun multiplier

grand total

4 Body, 4 stun, all soaked by defence

IIRC I had made the hit by about 8 or so...kind of sucked for me

In our Dark-Teen-Horror Champions game my group was trying to stop a cult at our high school (one of many, but the only one that was going to upset the delicate balance of power at the school). Both the cult and us were trying to make the school less of an evil place, but we were going about it different ways. We had one of their members captive, and were trying to get her to talk using threats and logic. I managed to come up with the perfect phrase (which I have written down, but can't be bothered to find) of why we were right, and they were wrong. It was good enough that it's now the slogan of our team. The GM was amazed by it, and gave me huge bonuses to my interrogation roll to find out the cult's plans (I think it was something like +6 to my 13- roll).

I rolled a 4. I managed to shake her so much that she re-evaluated her life, and realized that we were the only ones who actually did good in the school, and she asked to join our team.

Long time back I GM'd a D&D campaign. One of the players, nick named 'Woody', was a largly built lad, a tad slow but almost impervious to aches or pains and his character was the same. In real life he ate a lot and, as we were teenageers, our games had us gathered around a table with pizza, chips etc and beer close to hand. In the game he got it into his head to force RP's in the out of action scenes. Always in a restaurant. It got so I'd build those scenes into the regular game flow. My revenge for this was the restaurant/ pub/ tavern/ caranserai's menu. A die role of '3' meant that the only thing available was Chicken (boiled - no seasonings) and Beetroot (sliced, potted, fresh, fried or whatever, I didn't care it was Beetroot for crying out loud!).

You've guessed it. For 6 straight gaming nights when he asked for the menu, he rolled a 3. Other gamers started placing side bets on it. One of the artistic types later faked up a real menu with 12 types of boiled chicken and 12 types of Beetroot as a birthday present to him. We all took it to mean that the universe had a sense of humour too.

I can remember two amazing rolls, for different reasons.

One was in a TORG game. For those who don't know the system, there is an open-ended aspect to it, and there's also a thing where you can play a card if you roll a 60+ (which is like three open ended rolls) and the tale of your deed gets repeated and there is a game effect and yada yada. Well I managed to pull a 60+ ONCE in the two years we played, and I had the right card in my hand when I did it, but it was on a DODGE. So, the GM had fun occasionally sticking in "legends" of my "catlike dodge." Alas.

The other was kind of cool, though. In a WoD game I was running, a PI with True Faith ran into a vampire who had just recently been a mortal runaway he had met. Well, he thought of vampirism as kind of a demon possession thing, in a way, and even though that's not exactly how it worked, the bottom line is, he got into a tussle with her and tried to "exorcise" the evil from her. He had four dice of True Faith, and because True Faith was such a rare and potentiall potent thing, when he spent Willpower for his True Faith roll, it only got him extra dice, not extra auto successes. In compensation, he was allowed to spend as much Willpower as he wanted on TF rolls.

Four dice of True Faith. Spent five points (all he had) of Willpower.

Threw the ten siders.

Nine tens.

Nine.

I nearly passed out. Twenty plus years of gaming, and I never saw anything like that. The heavens opened up, a beam of light came down, and the girl turned back into a human.

Wound up being really cool, too, because some other vamps witnessed it and ran, but people got real curious about our PI friend because he had actually turned a vampire back into a mortal. All kinds of rumors and conjectures about the event started flying around.

Last time I rolled a bunch of ones was on a

4d6 RKA, 4 1's, and a 2 on the stun multiplier

grand total

4 Body, 4 stun, all soaked by defence

IIRC I had made the hit by about 8 or so...kind of sucked for me

You know, this suddenly gives me an idea for removing the dice from damage altogether... work out an algorithm such that the degree by which you hit determines the percentage of your maximum damage you do... so a really good hit does toward the high end, and a really narrow hit does toward the low end, etc...

I'll fiddle with it.

You know, this suddenly gives me an idea for removing the dice from damage altogether... work out an algorithm such that the degree by which you hit determines the percentage of your maximum damage you do... so a really good hit does toward the high end, and a really narrow hit does toward the low end, etc...

I'll fiddle with it.

It's been done before, with less than great results IMO, but have fun with it

What I would recomend is a system of added/reduced benefit...

something like -2 DC per point (max of 2 points) under target +1 DC per 3 points over, or something like that

Yep, probability does not dictate the result of a single dice roll.

"Dice" by Matt Frisbee

My dice are my enemy,

My dice are my friend;

They determined the beginning,

And they always spell the end.

Tumbling and rolling,

Pips blurring as they fall;

Clattering and slowing,

With faces seen by all.

The spots stare at me blankly,

Like the soulless eyes of fate;

Exhaltation or damnation,

There is no longer a debate.

Though this throw is ended,

With results so plain to see;

I hold them tight within my palm,

Longing to set them free.

Matt "Roll-them-bones" Frisbee

I remember a guy in my first gaming group who could, once per game roll the exact number required. We all thought it was some sort of real life will power based telekinesis in action. He be off playing a different game or helping out the scenery or kit bashers and Then somebody would call that they needed a die roll.

Nolly would wander over, look at the dice, roll them around and lob them onto the table. Lo and behold! The requested number was showing. Only once per game but potent. Hmmm, time to craqck the old address book and find out what happened to him.

One of my players rolls his 3d6 one at a time. If his last die needed to be five or less - which would happen at least once a game session - he would invariably say "Only a six can hurt me now." And, of course, it seemed like he'd then roll "6" practically every time.

Finally, I gave him a freebie +1 OCV with all attacks, Only if a 6 on the final die would make the roll miss, Incantations ("Only a six can hurt me now.")