Alas and Farewell, Digital Hero

Darren Watts

Hey all! It's my sad duty to announce that Digital Hero is coming to at least a temporary end with issue #47, out tomorrow. Unfortunately, declining subscriptions have caused the magazine to be a money-loser for a while now, and while we tried very hard to keep it a going concern at last we just couldn't continue to support the magazine, considering the generally unfriendly environment for RPGs that continues outside our windows. I have hopes of eventually figuring out a way to make DH or something like it work again at some point in the future, but for now the series is on indefinite hiatus.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank Dave Mattingly for his tireless work making Digital Hero into the premier magazine of it's kind over the last five-and-a-half years; he's been an outstanding editor, tireless recruiter and promoter, and all-around heck of a guy, and the magazine has quite obviously been a labor of love that showed on every page. As Dave points out in his editorial column this issue, this is hardly the last you'll be seeing of him, as his own company Blackwyrm and Hero continue to maintain a close relationship- Dave will continue to publish books like Scott Bennie's outstanding Gestalt and Jason Walters' forthcoming fantasy novel, among many other exciting projects. Plus, he's just been named Executive Director of the Game Publishers Associtation, a fine trade organization of which Hero is a member and fervent supporter.

Also, I'd like to thank each and every one of our contributors over that same span- far to many to mention by name, but each of you played a part in making Digital Hero the success it was, and Herodom Assembled is the richer for it.

The issues themselves will still be available for purchase through our store, at the same rates as before ($5 for a single issue, or $30 for a group of ten.) If you have credits remaining but have not yet purchased all of the issues, your credits will be good indefinitely. If you're one of the subscribers with more credits than back issues remaining, we'll convert those credits into gift certificates usable elsewhere in the store. Please contact Tina directly at tina@herogames.com to get your gift certificate information.

Thanks again to all of the creators, and all of the subscribers and individual buyers, for your support. If you haven't checked out Digital Hero before, well, you've got 3,008 pages total of outstanding Hero System goodness to look forward to, so why not give it a try? dw

Re: Alas and Farewell, Digital Hero

Sad to see it go. I've always loved every issue, and it has been very nice being a contributor for the last year or so. I feel special that one of my articles (A third in a series of three) was in the last issue.

I truly hope you (and we) can get something else together, or that the marketplace shifts once again, and the magazine can be brought back from dormancy.

A sad farewell.

:eek:

This is sad news indeed.

And, oh yeah, Dave Mattingly does indeed rock.

I remember when I first got an email from Dave many years ago inviting me to participate in Haymaker! My response back was "Dave Mattingly, like from Power Point? Sign me up!" or words to that effect. I'm a hard guy to impress, but his articles were so brilliant I was just excited to be involved in anything he was associated with.

I learned a lot about how to present HERO System content under his editing, and was also brought into contact with a lot of ideas and material from other fans thanks to Dave, both on Digital HERO and it's Haymaker! predecessors. The game is a better thing for his involvement. Between his work as editor - in - HERO awesomeness and Power Point!, well its an impressive body of work. Ill say it again -- you rock, Dave!

I do wish DH could at least go to 50 issues to make an even break of it though :(

Darn, I always looked forward to seeing what the next issue would hold.

Dave, you edited a quality product and it will be sorely missed.

As I've purchased every issue and will have four credits left I guess I'll be getting some other Hero products.

I do wish DH could have lasted until issue 50 and gone out on a round number. :-(

TB

• 2 weeks later...

:cry:

I feel somehow compelled to buy a subscription just so I will have credits to encourage the republication of DH in the future...

You're not alone there. I'm at least planning on keeping my remaining credits as long as possible, rather than converting them.

I have a list of everyone with DH credits left over. I am working down the list' date=' but its 1099 time so it'll take a few days to get though the list.[/quote']

No one will want to spend their Hero Bucks now until they know the two big Hero announcements at DundraCon anyway, right?

No one will want to spend their Hero Bucks now until they know the two big Hero announcements at DundraCon anyway' date=' right?[/quote']Well, one of the big Hero announcements at DunDraCon will be the 2009 release schedule. That'd be a long time to hold out before buying any more books. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

You know. I had never looked at Digital Hero before, but I browsed some issues at Scrpid.com and was really impressed. I saw some great Silver Age stuff by Mr. Watts that I am going to download, as well as some other hidden gems. The Sentinels and the Fabulous Five were note perfect. Too bad you won't be able to continue the magazine.

As an aside, I am really looking forward to Golden Age and Silver Age Champions, if they are still coming out. You guys are great.

Digital Hero issues contain such an amazing array of material - new optional HERO rules; characters, settings, and adventure scenarios for a range of game genres; roleplaying and GMing advice - there literally is something for everyone. The PDF are the same layout style and quality as published Fifth Edition books, and artwork ranges from good to excellent.

Since reviving this thread might also revive some interest in DH, I'm going to Attach a Document file to this post containing all the Tables of Contents from the magazine, so people can easily browse what's available.

If you want to purchase Digital Hero issues, there's no longer a direct link from the Hero Online Store home page; but if you go to the main Discussion Forums menu and look at the Digital Hero forum, there's a "Sub-Forums" link which will take you to the DH part of the store.

• 3 weeks later...