Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

hfergus

What are your characters' favorite things? (imagine that sung to the tune of Favorite Things.) I had a good respinse to character pet peeves, so here is the other side. What do your characters really like? (I can just hear some saying beer, brawls, etc.)

Volt enjoys music with good harmonies, which he says are getting less common with time. He enjoys classical music, old hymns, and most Celtic music. He loves bagpipes. He also enjoys Cheeses with strong flavor (Blue cheese, extra sharp cheddar, limburger(!), etc. He also enjoys a savory pizza with pepperoni and/or bacon.

Olorin enjoys the high tech of modern world, especially the internet and computers. He even programs them. He loves cold, tart and barely sweetened lemonade. He likes savory, but not hot spicy, ribs with a sweet undertone. He loves to boggle peoples minds and pull their legs.

Black Tiger likes to pound on villain who are merciless and vicious. He also likes a good aged bourbon and aged single malt scotch. He also likes simple food like meatloaf and bread pudding. He likes the blues.

Futurian likes just about any meat available. Where he comes from it is quite rare and expensive. He loves buffalo wings, but not the super hot kind. He loves Shrimp Scampi. He hasn't made up his mind on modern music, but has determined he does not like rap, and sort of sides with Volt.

Re: Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Mole's Favorite Things

Agents in arm's reach with armor that shatters

Doing the good deeds that really do matter

Fighting side women with fire or wings

these are some really cool hero type things

Kissing my girlfriend after saving the city

Hearing a thank you after fetching that stupid kitty

Musical inspiration found in my heroing

These are some really cool hero type things

Knowing my father is smiling up from above

Learning the difference between just lust and real love

Beating Goliaths, courage and hope are my slings

These are some really cool hero type things

When the golem strikes

when the world shifts

when I'm feeling blue

I simply remember all of this stuff

And I know what I have to dooooooo

The Lord Captain is partial to melee training, and in his spare time maintains his weapon collection and engages in the odd bit of light reading. He enjoys heavy red wines and books on military history.

Jarome likes silence and quiet, and being treated like a "normal guy." Both of them are devoutly religious, but for entirely different reasons. Thia because he believes the world can be saved. Jarome because he fears for his own immortal soul.

Marksman, a good baseball game on the TV, a night of pizza and a movie with his girl, that sound when you know you have scared someone enough to make them urinate on themselves...

This is as much a character study as a "What does your character like" but why not....

Black Cat is somewhat ascetic (big surprise). Her room has a roll up mattress on the floor, her computer desk (which holds her music digitally). She has a bookcase with historical texts and reference material, some magazines and a complete run of Villainy Unbound. :)

Her tastes in music run to minimalist - she likes Mike Oldfield Philip Glass and Brian Eno. She also likes chant, classical (the more formal in structure the better), new age, and surprising a fair amount of techno - in general she doesn't like anything with lyrics. For artwork she likes impressionist and post impressionists (has prints of Munch's the Scream and Van Gogh's Starry Starry Night, and an electronic picture that cycles through the 46 views of Mt Fuji by Hiroshige).

For food she eats just about anything, and takes delight in mixing things to surprise people she has dinner with (She loves a well done steak with Sushi as a side dish).

Obviously she enjoys her training (physical, mental, or spiritual) and loses herself in it. From an old adventure she was one, where they group ended up in one of those "only on this plane for a while" monasteries, and they were getting trained for a specific fight she mused "They push me harder than I push myself. It's relaxing in it's own way, sort of like a vacation".

She loves a good fight, and trying out new tactics abilities and getting into interesting new situations. She left superheroing to be an agent for an inter-dimensional agency because the team she was on took down, captured, and got to trial and conviction Dr Destroyer. She'd been a super for most of her life, and after that, there wasn't much challenge in the superhero biz. She can't stand treading water, so she moved to something that tests her abilities even further.

Since the move, she finds she really enjoys dancing, something that was "too frivolous" in a previous mindset.

Yes, I do spend time figuring out little details about characters like that.

Voltage:

Girls in bikinis and girls in short skirts

Hitting the bad guys right where it most hurts

Flying through cities and eating hot wings

These are a few of my favorite things

Frat-boy keggers and hanging with Heroes

Endorsement checks with many zeroes

One girl on each arm and one in the wings

These are a few of my favorite things

Going to strip-clubs and stomping the bad-guys

Signing some autographs when I'm recognized

Stopping the bad things like drug-running rings

These are a few of my favorite things...

Zero is a collector of 50's Americana, and enjoys Broadway musicals. Given he hasn't dared move too far away from his mother, he hasn't had much opportunity to go far afield for either, but he still found a few treasures here and there. He still likes the genuine wooden cigar Indian, even though it was used to infiltrate the Edge team's warehouse.

Vitus likes the kind of food they used to make on his homeworld. He misses it very much. :(

Doggone it! Hermit did it again. I love the getting into the spirit of the song. Someone please rep him. I can't yet. (I did rep the other who did this, but Hermit was first!) I may have to start a Hermit fan club - naw not really, but he tends to impress me a lot. Good going Hermit! May the opportunity to do good things occur often.

Chimera - Futbol! Fine wine. A beautiful companion. A night of dancing. Most of the rest of the stuff he enjoys relates to his work as a scientist, doctor and super hero.

Robin Fletcher - Hank Williams. Errol Flynn Movies. Cooking. Most of the rest of the stuff he enjoys relates to his work, his research or his religion.

Bob Tiger:

Spending time with his family. Any day his brother-in-law doesn't make an appearance. Good food. Cars he can fit in. Getting an acting gig he can sink his teeth into.

The Cat Without a Name:

Tuna! Spreading his genetic material around. A warm sunbeam. Getting rubbed or petted when he wants it. Not getting petted when he doesn't want it. Oh, and, um... those humans who serve him.

Sandor the Mystic:

always the new experience: astral napping, marianas trench surfing, trying to help people escape from burning man, hitchiking across manchuria, sculpting water

White-Knite:

space travel, as far and as fast as possible

(kind of like the samaritan in astro city, he just flew for the joy of it when he could)

Cosmo-Knite is just a selfish pig

so he's all about limelight, winning court cases, TV interviews after public rescues, glory-hogging, show-boating,etc.

Doggone it! Hermit did it again. I love the getting into the spirit of the song. Someone please rep him. I can't yet. (I did rep the other who did this' date=' but Hermit was first!) I may have to start a Hermit fan club - naw not really, but he tends to impress me a lot. Good going Hermit! May the opportunity to do good things occur often.[/quote']

Yeah, the rep limits are a pain sometimes -- and as Mole's GM, I just hope I can continue to give him the opportunities to do both good and find things which make all the insanity I throw his way worthwhile...

To stay on topic, some of my own chars (past and current):

Kodiak: Being alone in quiet lonely places -- preferably in the mountains (though he's come to enjoy sharing these places with his wife). Riding, either horseback or motorcycle...

Speedzone: It seems his life has been nothing but high speed chaos since he gained his powers -- but his fiance can still make him slow down and appreciate just how good life is sometimes. Working in the lab on 'pure' research is as much a passion as a job sometimes...

Focus: He's still young, and a computer geek at heart. But Miranda in a harem outfit is something he may never forget. He can live without the evil vizier with the wandering hand, and the leather clad winged wenches with swords, though...

Mr. Terrific declines to say what his favorite things are, because that gives enemies the heads-up on ways to harass him and businesses clues on what things they can jack up prices on with low risk of losing his patronage. Friends already know, and everyone else ... it's none of their business.

Zl'f likes horses (she owns an Appaloosa stallion) and shopping for clothes. Since she doesn't follow trendy fashions but rather puts together her own look, this takes a lot more work than just dropping in to the GAP and Old Navy or their Scandinavian equivalents.

A few of my characters' favorite things:

Amethyst - Having friends she can talk and laugh with; taking a moment just to enjoy someone else's company without worrying about the fate of the world.

ColdFire - Hanging out at her favorite bookstore. She knows the owner, the employees, and all the regulars, and they treat her just like anyone else. It's the one place where she's not a freak.

Desperado - A gourmet meal and a fine wine at an expensive restaurant, shared with a beautiful woman. That, and people who can speak French without mangling it.

Jack Diamond - An occasional evening at a nameless bar somewhere. A couple of drinks, a few games of pool or Texas Hold 'em, classic rock or old, twangy country on the jukebox. Barroom brawl optional.

Magnetite - Flying at the precise altitude where she can look up and see the beauty of the stars, and look down and see the beauty of the Earth (or whatever planet she's currently visiting).

Morningstar - "Terminal Velocity's rosemary tarragon chicken. Or that omelette he makes that he won't tell me what's in it. Sometimes a good meal is all it takes to put the day's problems into perspective."

Onyx - A brisk morning run through Central Park with Mussorgsky, Dvořák, Verdi, or any of a few dozen others on his iPod.

Pariah - A simple meal, prepared from foods he grew himself. He keeps a garden anywhere he lives (including his team's base on the Moon).

Thunderstrike - Occasionally hacking into an ultra-secure computer system, just to see if they've upgraded their security protocols since the last time he did it.

Wild Card - "Every once in a while, I'll read one of my students' essays and think, 'This person's starting to see just how fascinating this world can really be.' As a teacher, I live for moments like that."