What's your favorite Champions supplement?

Doc Shadow

I was digging through some stuff this morning and came across my copy of my all-time favorite Champions supplement: Aaron Allston's Strike Force.

That got me wondering. What Champs book is the best, or at least the favorite, of all time for the rest of you?

Feel free to divide it up by edition if you wish.

Re: What's your favorite Champions supplement?

What my favorite is varies over the course of time. I'll limit this to adventure/sourcebooks. Currently my list (in no particular order) would include:

Shades of Black by Allen Thomas

Watchers of the Dragon by Steven S. Long

Hudson City Blues by Edward J. Carmien (technically this is Dark Champions)

Original Viper handbook.

How to build a villain organization and how not to build one all in one neat package. The good points were great, the bad points were "duuuh's" but made me really think about organizations and the bottom of the personnel pyramid.

Things to remember... How many toilets are required for 'X' agents? Ditto canteen facilities and janitorial cupboards. Where does the food come from, who cooks it, who does janitorial, who collects the trash & waste and where is it disposed of? Do any of these people come out of your agent allotment?

It's a keeper.

It's not easy to pick is it?

Over the years Hero has come up with some really great books.

But I stand by my initial choice. I learned more about gamemastering from AA's SF than from any other book I've ever read. And even today, two months shy of 20 years later, those lessons are still relevant. And it's still a joy to read, something I can't say about some of the newer material.

Y'know, I bought the durn book, and I've yet to crack it open.

I just don't generally need that level of detail in my games... :think:

I love it. Mind you, I play a character with 110points in skills alone...

I also yoink it off a friend whenever i get a chance for my game.

Fifth Edition: DEMON: Servants Of Darkness. Comic-book occult supervillainy has never been dealt with before in such rich, evocative detail. And the overarching plot of DEMON is one of the grandest villainous Master Plans in the history of the genre. Second place would probably be Hidden Lands for its diverse adventure potential.

Fourth Edition: Watchers of the Dragon, a unique and entertaining blend of prose fiction, multi-part adventure arc, and Oriental/martial-arts NPC collection. Excellent on all those levels. Second place would be Day of the Destroyer, IMO still the grandest single adventure ever written for Champions.

Pre-Fourth Edition: Although I have great admiration for Aaron Alston's Strike Force and the rest of his body of work, since we're talking "favorite" Champions books I would split my vote between two others.

To Serve and Protect introduced the Protectors, my all-time favorite NPC hero team for the game. The adventure they were involved in was solid but not ground-breaking, but there's something indefinably magical about that team. Their unique base, examples of team tactics, and the Skull Pendant were all long-term useful to me.

On the flip side, VOICE of Doom gave us an exceptionally international collection of supervillains and agents with a distinctive flavor and motivation, and a marvellous master villain with a dramatic origin and unique twist, plus a useful NPC hero team. Lots of great stuff in a small package.

I'll go with 5th Ed stuff

Hidden Lands Despite Hit and Miss Art absolutely enthralled me. It's so classic in feel and yet still loaded with personal touches that add a lot of heart. The Empyreans especially I like, but I've seen some GMs use the Lemurians very well.

Villainy Amok Scott Bennie wrote it, that should tell you its good right there. The thing is loaded with story hooks, plot seeds, and numerous twists on each scenario so you could play a dozen weddings, fires, or meta drug storylines and each surprise the players.

Shades of Black By Allen Thomas ... Arthurian level evil at its finest, IMO

Hidden Lands Despite Hit and Miss Art absolutely enthralled me. It's so classic in feel and yet still loaded with personal touches that add a lot of heart. The Empyreans especially I like, but I've seen some GMs use the Lemurians very well.

I've always enjoyed roleplaying supplements with detailed, distinctive "alien" cultures (anyone who read my Valley Of Night stuff could guess that ;) ), so I really appreciated Lemuria.

(BTW Lemuria was Allen Thomas's principle contribution to HL. Boy, I wish he was still writing for Hero Games.) :(

I've always enjoyed roleplaying supplements with detailed, distinctive "alien" cultures (anyone who read my Valley Of Night stuff could guess that ;) ), so I really appreciated Lemuria.

(BTW Lemuria was Allen Thomas's principle contribution to HL. Boy, I wish he was still writing for Hero Games.) :(

My only problem with Lemuria is the ridiculously powerful guy running it. More to the point...he's a Menton level mentalist in a campaign world that already has Menton. He felt redundant. I'd have prefered a different power set for him.

Rob

That got me wondering. What Champs book is the best' date=' or at least the favorite, of all time for the rest of you?[/quote']

I don't think I could easily narrow it down to one, but for favorites:

• Wrath of the Seven Horsemen
  • VOICE of Doom
  • To Serve and Protect
  • Alien Enemies
  • Classic Enemies
  • Enemies for Hire
  • Allies
  • Watchers of the Dragon

As far as worst, I'd have to say Teen Champions, but not because of playable content, but editing. It has the absolute worst proofreading, continuity and NPCs (the Playpals) I've ever seen in one book.

4th edition:

Classic Organizations -- I liked the Sanctuary part in there better than the original Neutral Ground, and used it to good effect in past games.

VIPER -- I liked the 4th edition one so much more than the 5th edition one that I decided to ignore the new book in favor of the old.

5th edition:

DEMON -- much, much better than the 4th edition group, IMO.

VIPER -- I liked the 4th edition one so much more than the 5th edition one that I decided to ignore the new book in favor of the old.
I agree that 4th Ed Viper is better. I have a hybrid of the two. Generally 5ed Agents & # in a team, but 4th Ed supers, as well as some vehicles.

5th edition:

DEMON -- much, much better than the 4th edition group, IMO.

I use the 4th Ed "armored" troops as a facade for the real, 5th Ed DEMON. The PCs currently know the truth (mostly), but they've only had one prolonged adventure with DEMON (whom I'm thinking of just calling Demon because I hate typing DEMON).