Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

I have been experimenting with cheese danishes at home.  

My son(9 yo) LOVES the one from Starbucks.  I bought some cheap ones from a grocery, with "Cheese" on part and a jelly type substance on part, and he disliked them to the point he would not eat them.  

First I looked for the recipe for sweetened cream cheese a professional baker gave me some years ago.  I have experimented a few times with a Rustic tart with a base of cream cheese topped with Nectarines and/or raspberries.                I can't find it.   

So I looked at several recipes online, and found ONE in one of our many cookbooks.  

"The new best recipe" cookbook had a version with JUST cream cheese and sugar.   I remember the one I was given having egg yolk also. 

I found a couple recipes online.   Both had sugar, egg yolk, and cream cheese, but they differed in that one added two tablespoons of Ricotta and the other added two tablespoons of Sour Cream.    I have never done much with Ricotta, so I just went with the Sour cream., 

Then, because I was making it for my family, I added iirc two teaspoonsful of Vanilla extract, and about the same amount of a combination of lemon extract and lemon juice.  One pound softened cream cheese, two egg yolks, about 3/4 cups sugar (I started out with less than the recipe called for, but then upped it after tasting it) the extracts.  

Then I made "cups" or sort of tart shaped things out of prepared crescent roll dough, put a big dollop of cheese in, and baked for about 14 minutes. 

Tavish LOVED them.   I think they are good, but will probably keep playing with the exact recipe.   I may skip the lemon extract and just use juice, because I wanted a little more tartness than I got.   I will probably also try just cheese and sugar, but...   

Anyone else have experience with this kind of recipe?

This looks better to me than almost any of the Bacon overload recipes. 

I like lamb. My mother refuses to eat for part of the same reason that I like it. We used to raise the smelly things. She still thinks of lambs as the cute clouds in the pasture. Eating lamb now is payback for the times I got drug through the mud, knocked over into the mud, and the times I just wound up smelly.

There was a place in town here that just closed a couple of months ago. Best gyros I've ever had. The owner, chef, and most of the staff (family run restaurant) were Greek immigrants. I was very sad when they closed.

We get frequent shipments of home-grown meat (lamb, pork, occasional beef, used to get rabbit every once in a while) from my sister, so we have lamb fairly often. The biggest issue is that the butcher/packer doesn't seem to be all that familiar with lamb; some of the cuts we get are rather bizarre, sort of inexplicable except as "this chunk is what I had left after I'd sawn away the more convenient bits".

We get frequent shipments of home-grown meat (lamb, pork, occasional beef, used to get rabbit every once in a while) from my sister, so we have lamb fairly often. The biggest issue is that the butcher/packer doesn't seem to be all that familiar with lamb; some of the cuts we get are rather bizarre, sort of inexplicable except as "this chunk is what I had left after I'd sawn away the more convenient bits".

And probably no trimming of the fat...