Foods for those that just don't care anymore

nexus

Because I can't find my old post with the recipe...

Soft Gingerbread

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses (the blacker the better)
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour milk (*see below)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

*Sour milk: you can make milk sour by adding 1 tablespoon vinegar (either white or cider) with 1 cup milk, stir and let stand at room temperature 10-15 minutes.  Or, buttermilk can be used in place of sour milk.

• Preheat oven to 375 F (350 F with glass pans)
  • Put sugar, molasses, shortening, salt, milk, and eggs in a bowl and mix.  (See a trick below to make this easier.)  This mixture will look like a brown soupy mess with shreds of white shortening in it.  This is OK.
  • Add flour, soda, and spices and mix til batter is smooth.  Pour into greased pan(s) and bake.
  • One batch in a steel 8-inch square pan bakes in 30 minutes
  • One batch in glass loaf pan bakes in 50 minutes
  • (We usually double the recipe and make two loaves)
  • Test for doneness with a wooden toothpick

Trick: Pour the milk or buttermilk into the measuring cup first and pour the measured quantity into the mixing bowl.  Then measure out the molasses in the same cup, unwiped.  The molasses will come out of the measuring cup much more easily and quickly this way.

Serving notes: Very good served warm with whipped cream.
When cold the day after, we find that this makes a nice breakfast when spread with a bit of cream cheese, accompanied by a cup of coffee.

NOTE that when serving to people unfamiliar with this, mark it prominently with a note that says "THIS IS NOT CHOCOLATE" ... visually it looks like chocolate cake, and you'll get a strong adverse surprise reaction when someone bites into it expecting chocolate.

A family recipe of mine, from my great-grandmother.  It is always part of our holiday feasts.