Have you ever built a powered armor character...

Pattern Ghost

...that's got enhanced stats outside the armor?

A couple of example concepts:

A pilot who has been genetically engineered to withstand the strain of pulling heavy G turns, and to have the reflexes to pilot a personal sized suit of powered armor. Think about the requirements just to fly a jet. Add in the reaction times necessary to compensate for the much greater subjective speed of flying super fast outside of a plane. (Like going 30 on a bike feels faster than going 40 in a car.) Toss out concepts like "the computer will fly it for you anyway," for this situation, because it's much cooler to grow your pilots in a vat of genetic goop than to program a combat computer! (Add in the quick mental reactions necessary to negate the need for a computer.)

Or another example: A brick who just uses a suit of powered armor to fly and for resistant defenses, along with senses, ranged attacks, etc. When the bad guys catch him out of the suit, they're in for a big surprise...

Anyone done anything like this? It's not as point efficient as a Defender type NCM build, but it has to lend itself to at least one amusing villain double take over the life of the character.

Re: Have you ever built a powered armor character...

I had a character whose mutant ability was ultraviolet vision. That was about it. She used a powered diving suit with sonar blasts, short term life support and extra swimming.

Hubby had a mutant character that had something like a 35 strength outside of his suit, but his power armor pushed him up into the 60 strength range, with much better defenses and way more movement.

I agree; while it's not as point efficient as building a 'normal in a suit', 'mutant in a suit' is a fun twist.

A pilot who has been genetically engineered to withstand the strain of pulling heavy G turns, and to have the reflexes to pilot a personal sized suit of powered armor. Think about the requirements just to fly a jet. Add in the reaction times necessary to compensate for the much greater subjective speed of flying super fast outside of a plane. (Like going 30 on a bike feels faster than going 40 in a car.) Toss out concepts like "the computer will fly it for you anyway," for this situation, because it's much cooler to grow your pilots in a vat of genetic goop than to program a combat computer! (Add in the quick mental reactions necessary to negate the need for a computer.)

Or another example: A brick who just uses a suit of powered armor to fly and for resistant defenses, along with senses, ranged attacks, etc. When the bad guys catch him out of the suit, they're in for a big surprise...

Anyone done anything like this? It's not as point efficient as a Defender type NCM build, but it has to lend itself to at least one amusing villain double take over the life of the character.

I did one character who had a non limited MP

all but one slot (A 12d6 EB) in it required a OIF BAttlesuit, the other slots included flight and a lot of modified EB's (8d6 EB AP, etc,,,)

The F/X was the suit helped him focus his powers instead of giving him his powers

I have also built a couple mentalists with a VarLim, -1/4 requireing -1/2, the -1/2 is either concentration, extra time, side effect (Self damage), or OIF: Battlesuit

my main PA character had enhanced stats outside of his armor as well as a couple of minor powers all related to his cybernetics. Basically this same idea, but he was wired rather than vatgrown.

Basically he was a Street level Martial Artist without the armor and a fairly high powered flying weapons platform demi-brick in it (like so many PA characters)

Well, there's the vampire who wore his "powered" armor to explain his superhuman strength. It also functioned to prevent him from being harmed by sunlight, stakes, holy water and other traditional anti-vampire weapons. (The armor _was_ high tech, including comm gear and a HUD that provided vision, so he had NO openings to the outside world, not even eyeslits. It just didn't provide his enhanced strength. But nobody ELSE needed to know that.)

I had a mutant energy projector[Force Bolts] who wore a suit of high tech armor that was designed to look like all the powers were coming from the suit not him... the suit itself had light armor[6/6] it also shielded him against being

detected as a mutant. it worked quite well actually

I'm considering making a character who is actually an electricity energy projector but uses his ability to provide energy to run his armor.
There are/have been several characters (PC and NPC) in the Wardens Chronicles campaign that have electro-magnetic powers and use them to power armored battlesuits.

Shockwave is one of them...

http://redbook.angeva.com/characters/Wardens/Shockwave2.asp

Sure,I build Power Armor types with the assumption that I will be adventuring a fair bit out of my armor...or I take little to no limit on it...and so gain no cost break.

I have done the "super soldier in armor" thing, but not the squishy-brick, that sound interesting. And makes for an easy escape the first time you hit a death trap senario...

"Without your armor, you are DOOMED!" (add Muh ha ha's)

Quetzelcoatl had a Chi boost power that upped STR, DEX, and several other characteristics. Even without the armor he could have STR 25 and DEX 21. Plus martial arts of course.

Lucius Alexander

And the inevitable palindromedary

In a game where mutants were persecuted, I had a superstrong (but not super tough or super anything else) character who wore an armored getup that gave the impression (through sound effects and useless servos) that his enormous might was due to the armor.

I also had a villain who augmented his already superhuman strength with power armor. Quite a surprise for the heroes when he punched through the wall of his cell after he'd been disarmed.

Just remembered a perfect example of the "Powered Powered Armor Guy" from the comics themselves: Ezekiel Stane (son of Obadiah Stane).

He "upgraded his hyptohalamus" so he "reduced the caloric energy consumption of his body from 70% to 9%". He can unleash this "excess energy" as blasts from his hands. As a result of other biological upgrades, he has a potent healing factor (survived a 44-story drop).

Downside is that his body gets so hot the heat "melts his flesh off," so he wears a suit of armor to better distribute the heat and keep himself cool.

Speaking of, Mr. Freeze himself could be a candidate for this: he has some (relatively minor) powers of his own, an immunity to cold, but without his armor he'd die of overheating in anything above freezing temperatures.

One of the first characters I built after moving to FREd was a brick named Nemesis. He promotes this image of the high-tech strongman, but in reality almost all of his powers are his own. The armor adds a little protection (4/2), a couple of Enhanced Senses, a JATO-style Superleap, and an EB. Follow the link if you want to see the specifics.

Yes.

I've got a couple power armor characters that are formidable gadgeteers outside of their armor, but that isn't technically powered.

And one character that started off as a joke, but with applied gadgeteering became even more interesting. The base character's only power is that he glows very, very brightly all the time. Before his entrance into the superheroing business, he went about covered in thick wool blankets, otherwise he would blind everyone around him at least temporarily. 3d6 explosion, continuous, penetrating, always on, etc sight group flash. He was written up as a failed entry to the 'West Coast Supers' reality TV show. Since the character showed character, just not the power on his own, he didn't make it on the team. But the guy who is the executive producer, one of the judges, as well as secretly a power armor wearing gadgeteer took an interest in his career. He built him a suit of armor made of fiber optics to focus his light into lasers and other assorted Energy Projector style powers.

Reminds me of a Six Million Dollar Man novel, Cyborg IV. In the novel, Steve Austin -- already a formidable cyborg -- is the only one capable of piloting the Asp. Austin can plug himself directly into the Asp space fighter. This allows him to pilot the craft far more efficiently than any human pilot could. It also gives him access to the craft's "senses". He can feel radiation, see radar, etc.

He becomes rather addicted to the Asp...

Generally, only intelligence.

I did have one character who did the 'my power is nearly useless so I'll wear armor' thing ... a 5" Teleport with x10 END Cost and mandatory Stun side effect. He went so long without using that power that the DM forgot about it completely until I used it for a surprise move. :)

I had a martial artist (White Tiger) who was fairly competent outside her suit (full superhuman Dex and Speed). The suit gave her STR and CON, defenses, sense and some funky special energy attacks.

My other major Supersuit Ballstic is a full blown supermage outside the suit. The suit gives him Defenses movement stat increases, enhanced senses and such. But his 80 pt magic pool is all him.

One time my martial artist got to borrow the power-armor guy's suit as a disguise, and then a fight broke out. It was gross - my character had a 20 STR and with martial arts threw around 10-12d6.

The power armor added 50 STR...:eek::nonp::sneaky: